Legal details surrounding Redhat's RHEL licenses?

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just curious, back when Redhat announced the discontinuation of the Redhat Linux OS's and the licensing for Redhat Enterprise, there were discussions left and right regarding what you could or couldn't do with RHEL.

Some said you could do whatever you wanted with it.

Some said you could install on as many boxes you wanted to, but not use RHN on more than you paid for.

Some said you had to buy one license for every server no matter what.

Some said "Fvck it, I'll go with <insert random distro>".

Does anyone around here have a clue as to what became of all this?
Were there ever any conclusions drawn about what is indeed legal and not?

Oh and yes, I have looked at the RHEL license, like most other software licenses it confused the $hit out of me.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Sweden has lawyers. :p

I'm guessing the laws might be different enough there that conclusions about US law won't matter. :p

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Sweden has lawyers. :p

I'm guessing the laws might be different enough there that conclusions about US law won't matter. :p

Yeah, but I hate lawyers :p

On a more serious note, I figured someone somewhere on the net should have come to some kind of conclusion(aside from the kids screaming about evil Redhat charging money for their products).

I'd have a hard time trying to tell my boss that we'll need to spend 5 times the license cost on lawyer fees to understand the license itself.
Granted, that's our problem and all, but I'm sure you're well aware of the dynamics driving the bosses and beancounters, and the headaches it causes us poor techies ;)

drag

Elite Member
Jul 4, 2002
I don't know legally, but Redhat doesn't care as long as you don't try to trick them into supporting machines that you didn't pay for.

When Redhat started doing this stuff there were more then a few companies that had unusually large amounts of problems with their OSes.. Of course each time they had a problem the OS just happened to be installed on a different machine.

I think that the non-GPL/free software stuff can't be copied without a support contract, technically. But that's why people made things like http://taolinux.org/

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com
Originally posted by: Sunner
Some said you could install on as many boxes you wanted to, but not use RHN on more than you paid for.
This is how I understood the license to work. I am not a lawyer, however, so it is very likely I'm wrong :)