Left 4 Dead is now hosed

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I got an update right before I started playing. By the time I was done and the horde attacked.. the zombies were floating everywhere. On the firstlevel if you tried to jump to the helicopter you would fly away.

Anyone else have this issue?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder
I got an update right before I started playing. By the time I was done and the horde attacked.. the zombies were floating everywhere. On the firstlevel if you tried to jump to the helicopter you would fly away.

LOL, that sounds like someone is tripping on too many mushrooms :laugh:

I haven't noticed this, although I have noticed that the servers have shit the bed today after the update. Lots of ping spikes, hangs, and dropouts from the game server.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
While I was installing it, a friend of mine pm'd me that it wrecked his L4D installation, resulting in a hard crash. Most people apparently are not having such troubles. So naturally he was hating it, and apparently had started getting some feedback about a problem with his ATI card. My ATI had no troubles.

There was an issue with many servers not yet being updated, so that we'd get kicked shortly after a Versus campain started. "Kicked from server, no Steam logon". Nothing serious though.

As for the balance issues, I approve. I won't go into that though, since the patch details have been posted enough. I will say however that I liked the HUD tweaks, and for my system at least the game closes a little more gracefully than it had. Now we need content!

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Versus is much better now. The rest of the game is still fine. Lay off the LSD pre-game.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I am getting 8FPS in L4D where I was once getting 30 pre-update. Anyone else having graphics problems and intense lagging?

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I turned on Steam to update, but haven't played it yet.

Won't be playing it for a while either. I picked up a virus yesterday, apparently some trojan downloader (rn.tmp). I think I ended the process in time, but I'm going to be running 4 anti-virus/malware/spyware/adware scans when I get home. Grrr...

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007

Sounds like gravity was either turned off or set very low. That's just a server setting.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: JTsyo

Sounds like gravity was either turned off or set very low. That's just a server setting.

Hmm yeh I did not consider that seeing that these are third party servers. The game did not start out that way so it made it kind of odd to suddenly happen.

LOL, and I did not accidentally absord some lsd through my skin.. I was playing with 3 others and we all got a good laugh out of it.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hmm wonder if they fixed the exploit that lets you avoid the spawn time on infected and spawn a ton of AI hunters.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Hmm wonder if they fixed the exploit that lets you avoid the spawn time on infected and spawn a ton of AI hunters.

That was fixed before the patch by community-based server-side mods, and yes, is now officially patched, along with a ton of other shit. Release notes FTW.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Aww i just checked the release notes...

No more spawning tons of AI infected to help

No more dropping people through the elevator with a gas canister

No more quick tank kills with the auto shotty

No more will the smoker be borderline useless

No more soloing and meleeing every hunter that attacks

No more hopping over to the enemy team and killing their AI's with "kill" command

Well itll be a different experience from now on thats for sure. It didnt say anything about the autobalance issue which ususally ends up with 1 player being kicked and the other one going back to his original team leaving the already losing team with -1 players. Hopefully something will be done about that.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I think the release notes did say something about messed up teams between rounds, can't quite remember.

It seems like the smoker buffs might give him a little bit of an anti-closet camping ability, but not a lot. Probably if a boomer puked on the crew first you could drag some one out.

Super melee wasn't really nerfed though, except it said hunters are harder to hit.

I wonder what is up with the reports of poof performance after the patch. Most of the people that seem to be complaining had fairly poor performance that became unplayable afterwards. Odd.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
yeah, i haven't logged on yet, but I was barely pulling 40fps at 740x480 before, I pray it isn't any worse than that now.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Valce just fvcked L4D up, by making the tank and witch spawn in the same place for both teams, giving the second team an extrodinarily massive advantage, give me my director back!

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Yes, there's a certain advantage. I don't think it's extraordinarily massive though. The infected team can plan around those spawns just as well as the survivors can.

That said, rotating which teams go first could help with this.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Ran fine for me immediately after the update, haven't tried it today yet :p In any case, most people aren't having problems

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: videogames101
Valce just fvcked L4D up, by making the tank and witch spawn in the same place for both teams, giving the second team an extrodinarily massive advantage, give me my director back!

I agree with this. The first team of survivors gets no idea, the second knows exactly where the witch/tank will be. It doesn't really screw up the game that badly, but it is pretty unfair.

But it was still pretty shitty when one team got a witch/tank and the other didn't. I'd rather have 1 guaranteed tank per level and 1-2 guaranteed witches.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
I am getting 8FPS in L4D where I was once getting 30 pre-update. Anyone else having graphics problems and intense lagging?

My friend that reported other trouble said that he also had severe fps problems and searched out numerous other reports. Maybe the small patch subsequent helps you guys. I hope so.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Eeezee

I agree with this. The first team of survivors gets no idea, the second knows exactly where the witch/tank will be. It doesn't really screw up the game that badly, but it is pretty unfair.

But it was still pretty shitty when one team got a witch/tank and the other didn't. I'd rather have 1 guaranteed tank per level and 1-2 guaranteed witches.

I like the guaranteed spawn part, but the spawn point through the level should be random.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Just played MP story campaign, no bugs. Though did run into a guy who managed to nude me off the edge of a building, shoot at and distract the person who was helping me, my RL friend I was playing with already had jumped down to a area where he couldn't reach me, and the person helping me got grabbed by a smoker and the AO who pushed me off the building proceeded to shoot at me until booted. Funny after I stopped swearing.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Eeezee

I like the guaranteed spawn part, but the spawn point through the level should be random.

I like the random rape and unfairness myself. It makes it interesting and more enjoyable when you still beat the other team.

Alex C

Jul 7, 2008
With the exception of the tank/witch thing, I'm liking the game a lot better now. I was getting really irritated playing versus and getting pistol whipped every single time I tried to pounce, and having the tank getting killed so quick by the auto shotties. The only other thing I don't like is when they hide in the closet, but that can be overcome with a good enough team.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Think about this, what's less balanced: One team getting a preview of where the tank is, or one team not getting a tank at all?

Both teams can plan around this info, just in different ways. It's not a balance problem.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484

Think about this, what's less balanced: One team getting a preview of where the tank is, or one team not getting a tank at all?

Both teams can plan around this info, just in different ways. It's not a balance problem.

The tank only spawns in a few places on a map anyways. Most of the time, if you're not a noob, you know when to expect it. The only major variable was whether it would come or not. Even if you know, it doesn't make too big a difference. Most teams 'prepare' once the rumbling starts.

Knowing where the witch isn't that big a deal either. You can hear her from afar, and everyone points/finds her from a reasonable range anyways. Despite this, she is still set off by idiots trying to one shot her, or 'accidents'.

I have never cared whether the other team knows where the tank/witch was or not. The only thing that pissed me off was having one or the other not spawning. A bunch of times on Mercy (second last, construction/scaffolding level), my team would get nailed by a tank while the other got a free ride to the end. I think this change is a good idea (probably could randomize position).