Left 4 Dead constant crashes

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
I tried to play Left 4 Dead it crashes randomly within 15 minutes of playtime. I tried different VGA, Sound, Chipset drivers but useless. I tried it under XP, Vista, 7 beta and i get the same crap crashes. Anyone experienced the same?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I think one of the first steps you must do in order to debug crashes and stability problems is to reduce your CPU, GPU, memory, etc to stock speeds. Even though you may be convinced it is stable, and no other games have any problems, you might be surprised. It is a very quick and simple thing to do as well.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Also try disabling multicore, either in options or in autoexec.cfg.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Do you have any 3D intense non-steam games? Does your PC crash with those?

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
L4D doesn't crash for me, but it does stutter every few moments where the game locks up and whatever sound effect was playing repeats about 10x second.. I can wait it out and the game will continue, but it's kind of annoying.

Is it my harddrive? PATA 100.. I suspect that's what it is and really.. i just want an excuse to buy a snazzy new SATA drive..

Core2Duo @ 2.33ghz, 2gb ram, 256mb 8600GT, XP pro sp2.. I just run it at whatever the recommended settings are. Framerates are smooth, except for the stuttering

legcramp

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
memory/cpu speeds lower them.

CPU probably crapping out depending on how much voltage you used to get to 4ghz.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The multi-core option is current known to cause issues, try to disable it and see if it helps your case (it did for me, in my case it wasn't crashing my game but it created stuttering like there'd be no tomorrow, once disabled it ran smooth, and it runs smooth ever since, they need to fix it for sure).

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Run Prime95 torture test in "blend" mode to test CPU/mobo/ram stability. You'd be surprised how often crashing is caused by slight calculation errors.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenoth
The multi-core option is current known to cause issues, try to disable it and see if it helps your case (it did for me, in my case it wasn't crashing my game but it created stuttering like there'd be no tomorrow, once disabled it ran smooth, and it runs smooth ever since, they need to fix it for sure).

winner.

I was having issues up the wazoo till i did some console command thing that disabled multi-core usage...forget which one.

Pretty sad you have to disable a nice feature to get a stable game though.

AstroGuardian

May 8, 2006
:)

CPU/GPU/Memory overclock is just fine. I play every single game with no problems at all. I think the CPU runs at 1.35v, i will check it again. But no problems with overheating. Prime95 runs at least 16 hours with no problems at all.

Disabling multicore option seems to fix this problem. I disabled it and the game runs just fine.

Thanks Zenoth and n7. Even with multicore disabled the game runs perfect with maximum details and filtering @ 1680 x 1050 with at least 35 fps on my rig