Led Zeppelin officially being sued over Stairway to Heaven

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Why did they wait 40 years before suing a band that's now defunct?

Good question but as OP have pointed out the song is going to be "re-issued" meaning they broke it down to it's original tracks before final mixing and are going to re-master it, this process is fairly common with big-selling artist's, I guess it makes for a cleaner final product without any trace of tape hiss, ect.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
LOL, that was awesome!, whoever came up with the first song to use those "4 chord's" should be making a mint off royalties..

I still get a laugh every time I watch that. I assume you put "4 chords" in quotes because they're being slightly misleading by saying its the same four chords: it's the same chord progression in different keys (although they do the whole thing in one key for that satire). If I recall it is root-5-6-4, or in G: G-D-Em-C. In A: A-E-Gbm-D. That progression definitely is the root of all pop music.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Good question but as OP have pointed out the song is going to be "re-issued" meaning they broke it down to it's original tracks before final mixing and are going to re-master it, this process is fairly common with big-selling artist's, I guess it makes for a cleaner final product without any trace of tape hiss, ect.

Their music hasn't been remasterd in 20 years, and the last time Jimmy Page didn't oversee it. He did led this new project himself and said he was able to make everything sound the way he originally envisioned due to advancements in technology. Also new unreleased takes of different songs and live concerts are going to be released with the albums.

As the world's biggest Zeppelin fan, I'll be first in line :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
they sound similar though not identical. wouldn't be surprised if a settlement were reached.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The real crime is how much better Jack Russell is over Plant. I hope Zepplin tours with him, since Plant is the only one that refuses to tour.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAerqUwADe8

I personally think Plant is right not to tour. Zeppelin was 4 world class musicians that gelled together. They've been apart so long they have nothing in common now. Zeppelin music is the voice of the young, and Plant realizes that. There is a distinct possibility that touring would only bring their legacy down.

Why tour on the merits of something you last did over 35 years ago? There's no point. I also don't think Plant could sing like he did on a daily basis at his age.

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I personally think Plant is right not to tour. Zeppelin was 4 world class musicians that gelled together. They've been apart so long they have nothing in common now. Zeppelin music is the voice of the young, and Plant realizes that. There is a distinct possibility that touring would only bring their legacy down.

Why tour on the merits of something you last did over 35 years ago? There's no point. I also don't think Plant could sing like he did on a daily basis at his age.

I think you're right. I agree with why he wouldn't want to tour. The radio station here mentioned that he said he doesn't want to do it because he doesn't want to be like a jukebox.

I just want them to since I wasn't even alive when they were active and I've never gotten the chance to see them :D

you know id have to agree

the Great Zeppelin album is fantastic for anyone who has not heard it
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Zeppelin.../dp/B00000IJCV

I remember a quote sometime ago where Robert Plant said Jack Russell sounded more like him than he did :D

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Heart is the closest to being the female Zeppelin without trying. David Coverdale is the closest to being the second coming of Plant without trying.

I found the Great White tribute to be a pale imitation of the real thing. Maybe I'd listen to it once for kicks.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The real crime is how much better Jack Russell is over Plant. I hope Zepplin tours with him, since Plant is the only one that refuses to tour.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAerqUwADe8

:hmm: He's not better than Plant, he's imitating Plant.

Heart is the closest to being the female Zeppelin without trying. David Coverdale is the closest to being the second coming of Plant without trying.

I found the Great White tribute to be a pale imitation of the real thing. Maybe I'd listen to it once for kicks.

Coverdale is flat out a Plant imitator. In fact there was a big "thing" going on in the early 90's between him and Plant for stealing Plant's act when touring with Jimmy Page (it turned out more to be media generated controversy, but still...)

Heart on the other hand is amazing, but Ann Wilson will also be the first to admit they simply made "female Zeppelin music".

Don't get me wrong- I have respect for all of these people, but it's amazing how none of them would be who they are without an influence.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Plant doesn't want to tour because his pipes are shot. He can't sing the Led Zeppelin material the way it needs to be sung. And without Plant it doesn't matter who tours with JP and JPJ, it's just a Led Zep cover band.

And of course LZ stole the chords for Stairway, they never met a song they wouldn't steal. I'm shocked it took this long for them to get sued for it.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

I hate crap like that. There's a difference between plagiarism and public domain. Back then, there were no lawyers in music- everyone played everyone else's material, and nobody knew the original owner.

I remember when Willie Dixon sued Zep for Whole Lotta Love in the 80's. The band settled out of court, but Dixon in fact took the song from a 1930's blues singer, and he may have taken the song from someone as early as 1920.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's music, if you steal a song in the heyday it was out, then sue. I have a problem with Sara Bareilles Brave and Katy Perry Roar. They aren't suing each other. It was a song steal totally.

If someone took a riff from "YOUR" song and made it bigger, just be fucking glad someone bought your album, back then.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
:hmm: He's not better than Plant, he's imitating Plant.

Coverdale is flat out a Plant imitator. In fact there was a big "thing" going on in the early 90's between him and Plant for stealing Plant's act when touring with Jimmy Page (it turned out more to be media generated controversy, but still...)

Heart on the other hand is amazing, but Ann Wilson will also be the first to admit they simply made "female Zeppelin music".

Don't get me wrong- I have respect for all of these people, but it's amazing how none of them would be who they are without an influence.

All I have to say I they got a lot of tail.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's like 4 of the same notes and same bass descend...it is very possible he heard it and messed around with itt. Not exactly uncommon in music to get something stuck in your head, and then tweak it into something different maybe not even knowing where you heard it. The lawsuit is laughable though. If they wanted to sue, it should have been..uh...many many years ago.

This.

And most music is a ripoff of other music, it's just a matter of degrees. Only the term used to describe this practice makes it sound more acceptable. Musicians don't rip off another musician, they are influenced by that other musician.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They seem to sound the same. But the note progression does not sound the same at all.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I don't care if Zeppelin "stole" songs. They made magic out of that music it and I loved it. The end :)

If they end up having to compensate some slave's family for having used parts of a song he wrote in 1830's Alabama, I'd be happy with that too. Any bluesman under 150 y/o claiming original songs is like Jobs crying that Microsoft stole the mouse from them. Of course they did :biggrin:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
This was typical in that day and age. Most artists from that era did this. It was considered more of a tribute/praise to the original artists than the now legal happy companies of today to sue over samples.

IIRC the lawsuits started with Vanilla Ice's using "under pressure", an awesome David Bowie/Queen collaboration for "Ice ice baby", it was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount of $$ (probably large given how big a hit "Ice ice baby was"), as part of the settlement Vanilla Ice was forced to list Queen/Bowie as the songwriter's on all the future releases. In any event I always thought Zep's best work was "Physical Graffiti", similar to the Beatles "White album" in that it featured many different styles of songs and Zep (AFAIK) didn't re-use anyone else's material for the double-album set..