LED TV no optical out - how to get sound?

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Only if your Receiver has HDMI which most modern ones have had for years..

I'd go with the LG myself.. I have 2 and they ALL have TOSLINK and more HDMIs than that one..

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Only if your Receiver has HDMI which most modern ones have had for years..

I'd go with the LG myself.. I have 2 and they ALL have TOSLINK and more HDMIs than that one..

Won't work if he's just watching OTA. HDMI on TV are inputs only, no output.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Sheesh, talk about being stingy. Then again, I guess most people shopping for cheaper sets aren't worried out audio outputs or external speakers.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Almost all HDTV's with a optical output will only output 2 channel stereo. You should connect digital coax or optical directly to the receiver from cable/sat/dvd/bluray/console.

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
Input source (set top box, dvd/blu-ray player, game console) -> HT Receiver / Speakers -> TV.

You don't connect sources to the TV and then back connect to the receiver to get sound. TVs, as boochi said, typically will downgrade whatever source you put into them into stereo only sources for output over analog or optical.

You can't get 5.1 from a TV if it's doing the audio processing. Let the HT receiver you paid money for do its job and separate / decode the audio streams.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Input source (set top box, dvd/blu-ray player, game console) -> HT Receiver / Speakers -> TV.

You don't connect sources to the TV and then back connect to the receiver to get sound. TVs, as boochi said, typically will downgrade whatever source you put into them into stereo only sources for output over analog or optical.

You can't get 5.1 from a TV if it's doing the audio processing. Let the HT receiver you paid money for do its job and separate / decode the audio streams.

Ok so you're saying I can just do HDMI from settop/blu-ray player-->receiver--->TV via HDMI as well? I'll have to check my cable box to see what connection it has.

The Samsung got good reviews for the picture, just a little worried since most TVs have sound output! For $500 I may pull the trigger if what you say is true.

Thanks in advance.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Almost all HDTV's with a optical output will only output 2 channel stereo. You should connect digital coax or optical directly to the receiver from cable/sat/dvd/bluray/console.
Unless you're using the ATSC tuner ;)