LED flashlights

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I'm looking for a very small, around 3" long LED flashlight that uses AAA or AA batteries. I want to be able to put it on my keychain and it needs to be water resistant. It can't cost any more than $40. I looked through reviews from Flashlight Reviews and the LED Museum and the perfect flashlight seems to be the Arc AAA; however, they no longer make it and it's too expensive on ebay. I've settled on probably one from Peak LED Solutions, probably the Matterhorn AAA. Does anyone own one of these or used it? What is your opinion on it and can you guys recommend other good quality flashlights that meet my criteria??

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Peak makes a VERY good replacement for the Arc AAA.

I have the ARC AAA in both white an UV flavours and I would not sell them for any (sane) price. LOL

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I have a dorcy 3xAAA 5" LED light. It rocks. It's bigger than what you're looking at but it's still running on the original batteries from November and I used it frequently during the winter at work.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Kvaerner Masa
Peak makes a VERY good replacement for the Arc AAA.

I have the ARC AAA in both white an UV flavours and I would not sell them for any (sane) price. LOL

The only problem I have with the Peaks are that they don't look as good and are a bit longer.

EDIT: oh yeah, I hate you :p

imported_FishTaco

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2004
I have a high power 3LED head with a 1AAA lug prototype style body. They've changed the style on the 3LED head, so I can't give you an impression on the new model, but the old one has a really tight beam with little side spill. As for length, if you get the lug style body they should be almost the same length.

Here's a link to someone's comparison of the old a new style 3LED head

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthr...&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: ChooChooChooseMe
Kind of OT, but those Surefire flashlights are the sex!

I think they are sweet, but they're too large and too expensive for me, I need a bright keychain/pocket light.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I :heart: my Arc AAA

BTW Peter Gransee is back in business again.. with another flashlight company

harrkev

May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: screw3d

Can you provide a link??? Which one.

I bet that it's NOT HDS systems. :D

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig
I have a dorcy 3xAAA 5" LED light. It rocks. It's bigger than what you're looking at but it's still running on the original batteries from November and I used it frequently during the winter at work.

I had a Dorcy 1 LED (AAA) and it was a pretty good flashlight, for the price which was $6-7. However, it was a bit large, wasn't water resistant, and wasn't very reliable or durable. For some reason it caused 2 battery leaks, the 2nd one made it unusable.

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: harrkev
Originally posted by: screw3d

Can you provide a link??? Which one.

I bet that it's NOT HDS systems. :D

here

Originally posted by: jumpr
I have an Inova T3 and love it to death:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/urdefense_1841_6093533

I have this too! The build quality is amazing.. 3mm thick aircraft aluminium walls anyone? :D

screw3d

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
i was checking out a couple energizer LED flashights at walmart tonight. almost bought one for 15 clams.

but if you want true hard-core professional LED flashights This is the place to go.

Surefire makes one of the best lights out there.. but there are so many other companies as well. It all depends on how you want to use it :)

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
Mini maglite at Lowes is 6 or 7 bucks.
It's tiny, bright and waterproof. Keychainable, too.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
Originally posted by: shilala
Mini maglite at Lowes is 6 or 7 bucks.
It's tiny, bright and waterproof. Keychainable, too.

Bah, Maglites aren't that great and they're overrated. I have two of them, a Solitaire and Minimag. The minimag is a pretty decent, basic everyday flashlight. However, the Solitaire just sucks, it's dim, has a low battery life, and the brightness drops of very quickly. Also, the waterproofing is weak. That's why I'm getting the Peak Matterhorn to replace it; if the new flashlight lives up to the hype, it might even replace my Minimag.

f you've used a LED flashlight, you would know how great they are. LEDs are white and not yellow like incandescents and don't turn orange after a while. They have a clearer beam with longer battery lives. Also, LEDs last a "lifetime" unlike normal bulbs that need to be replaced.