Lebanon in limbo

Sep 12, 2004
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Lebanon's political tumult intensified as President Emile Lahoud said the country is in a "state of emergency" and handed security powers to the army before he left office Friday without a successor. The rival, pro-Western Cabinet rejected the declaration.

Lahoud's final announcement created new confusion in an already unsettled situation, which many Lebanese fear could explode into violence between supporters of Prime Minister Fuad Saniora's Western-backed government and the pro-Syria opposition led by the Shiite militant group Hezbollah.

An unexpected and interesting situation.

Will Syria try to assert authority again, possibly with the help of Hezbollah? Would such a move cause another civil uprising? Can the Saniora majority government install someone acceptable to both sides? If so, who would that person be?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Thank you TLC for posting this. I had seen this or a similar piece of News on yahoo news. But the questions I have on the presumptions of your post are.

(1) Since the real political power in Lebanon does not wrest with the President, what does this mean? But basically, from my previous reads on Yahoo news, Lahoud is very pro Syrian, his term expired, and now various factions within Lebanon are blocking any replacements for the post.

(2) Where did the presumption come from to the effect that Hezbollah was or now is backing the reappointment of Lahoud or a Lahoud clone? The question is, where does Lahoud get the power to declare a State of emergency from the end of his term?

(3) Added political instability in Lebanon is not good news for Cindi Rice and her mid-East talks.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Will Syria try to assert authority again, possibly with the help of Hezbollah?
Those Hizbollah cocksuckers have been tasting the Syrian dick for years now.

Would such a move cause another civil uprising?
If you know anything about Lebanon, Civil war is ALWAYS an option.

I don't know if Lebanon is a heading for a civil war with Hizbollah on one hand and the Lebanese Army and civilian resistance on the other hand. But all I know is that should as soon as Hizbollah shoots a single bullet against a Lebanese citizen in a bid for increasing it's dominance I am going back to join the Lebanese Armed Forces and kill or be killed, they can turn my country into a mini-ayatollah-Iran shit hole over my dead body.

Can the Saniora majority government install someone acceptable to both sides?

NO they both have to compromise to get one up there, however compromise is unacceptable by both. We have been under Syrian dominance for decades and we are sick of those motherfvckers, we can't accept another puppet president it just wouldn't work especially with Syria kicked out of the country now.
But somehow the overwhelming majority of the Shiites in my country find it to be perfectly fine to allow Syria to tell us what to do and what not to do, unfortunately the majority of the Shiites in my country are a bunch of Ayatollah-Automatons. They are traitors in my book and legal to kill should they resist to stop supporting the terrorist regime in Damascus. What's funny is that no one of those Shiites would be payed enough to live in Syria. So what really makes them allies if they don't like them?

Originally posted by: Lemon law
(2) Where did the presumption come from to the effect that Hezbollah was or now is backing the reappointment of Lahoud or a Lahoud clone? The question is, where does Lahoud get the power to declare a State of emergency from the end of his term?

This is the thing, Lahoud is an idiot, he doesn't have the authority to call for a state of emergency even without his term over, additionally not without the backing of the government. The government which he says he doesn't accept!

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Thank you DarkThinker for posting your honest thinking--but the idea--If you know anything about Lebanon, Civil war is ALWAYS an option.

That is an absolutely horrifying prospect. I think everyone prays that that won't happen again to what amounts to such a great country that should be able to put that instability question into a dark past that will never happen again.

I personally hope Lebanese will decide what is best for Lebanon, unite against foreign domination, and find ways to unite as a country under those principles.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Thank you TLC for posting this. I had seen this or a similar piece of News on yahoo news. But the questions I have on the presumptions of your post are.

(1) Since the real political power in Lebanon does not wrest with the President, what does this mean? But basically, from my previous reads on Yahoo news, Lahoud is very pro Syrian, his term expired, and now various factions within Lebanon are blocking any replacements for the post.

(3) Added political instability in Lebanon is not good news for Cindi Rice and her mid-East talks.
LL, I think you were presuming that I was presuming. I'm not sure where where I implied that Hezbollah did or was backing any potential candidate in particular. My concern is more about Syria using this situation as an opportunity to reassert itself over Lebanon.

DarkThinker. My best wishes to Lebanon and the Lebanese people. I seriously hope it doesn't come to that and that an amicable agreement can be worked out.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: DarkThinker

I don't know if Lebanon is a heading for a civil war with Hizbollah on one hand and the Lebanese Army and civilian resistance on the other hand. But all I know is that should as soon as Hizbollah shoots a single bullet against a Lebanese citizen in a bid for increasing it's dominance I am going back to join the Lebanese Armed Forces and kill or be killed, they can turn my country into a mini-ayatollah-Iran shit hole over my dead body.

NO they both have to compromise to get one up there, however compromise is unacceptable by both. We have been under Syrian dominance for decades and we are sick of those motherfvckers, we can't accept another puppet president it just wouldn't work especially with Syria kicked out of the country now.
But somehow the overwhelming majority of the Shiites in my country find it to be perfectly fine to allow Syria to tell us what to do and what not to do, unfortunately the majority of the Shiites in my country are a bunch of Ayatollah-Automatons. They are traitors in my book and legal to kill should they resist to stop supporting the terrorist regime in Damascus. What's funny is that no one of those Shiites would be payed enough to live in Syria. So what really makes them allies if they don't like them?

You need to careful in what you say and what you think. I'm sure almost all Lebanese, including those of shi'ite faith, was a powerful and strong Lebanon. What you are doing is playing right into sectarian ideology...try to avoid that. This kind of "those bastards are all XXXXX" is what helps fuel a lot of problems in Iraq that didn't exist before, as well as something that has always created turmoil in Lebanon. Be proud you are a Lebanese, and be proud of other Lebanese...because they all want what they think is best for Lebanon

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: DarkThinker

You need to careful in what you say and what you think. I'm sure almost all Lebanese, including those of shi'ite faith, was a powerful and strong Lebanon. What you are doing is playing right into sectarian ideology...try to avoid that. This kind of "those bastards are all XXXXX" is what helps fuel a lot of problems in Iraq that didn't exist before, as well as something that has always created turmoil in Lebanon. Be proud you are a Lebanese, and be proud of other Lebanese...because they all want what they think is best for Lebanon

This is a battle between Syria in it's bid to dominance over Lebanon and Lebanon in a bid for reaffirming it's independence from Syria. You can't support Syria and still be a Lebanese. Not while knowing and experiencing all of the horrible things Syria inflected upon us of horror and terrorism.

A line has been drawn and it's time for the Shiites in Lebanon to decide if they want to be Lebanese or to if they want to be Syrians or Iranians or whatever that isn't Lebanese.

Originally posted by: Aimster
I dont think Hezbollah is going to try to seize power.

That is not their purpose.

Hizbollah's initial purpose was to form a Shiite Islamic Republic in Lebanon that is in their own description of their organization, even though they claim that is not a goal they pursue anymore, they still pursue virtual control over the government and over the military scene and that was clearly manifested when they demanded veto power in the cabinet last Summer and got a BIG NO. Right now they are trying to have the top military and political power in Lebanon by allying themselves with Syria (Lebanon's #1 enemy in the region). Yes Aimster Hizbollah is trying to become the quasi decision maker in Lebanon don't fool yourself, they might not want it officially but they want it practically. And by delivering a Syria puppet in the presidential palace they would get what they want (again!)

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
My thoughts and prayers are with the righteous in Lebanon who seek a peaceful democratic government. I sincerely hope you find a peaceful way to rid yourselves of the Syrian/Hezbollah/Iranian monkey on your back.

If it comes down to all-out war against Hezbollah, you might be genuinely surprised by who your friends and allies would be...

be safe!