Leaving PC on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
I don't know about you, but I would never leave my PC running when I'm out or sleeping. What if the PSU blows up and burns down your house.

I have 2 PCs on 24-7. is this really an issue? when was the last time you heard about a house fire being started by a PC?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: aidanjm
I don't know about you, but I would never leave my PC running when I'm out or sleeping. What if the PSU blows up and burns down your house.

I have 2 PCs on 24-7. is this really an issue? when was the last time you heard about a house fire being started by a PC?

It's rare, but it does happen. Not something I would be too concerned over. Just make sure you have a working smoke alarm that's audbile from where you'll be in your home and fire extinguishers positioned in your house. This is also known as basic fire safety.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: aidanjm

It's rare, but it does happen. Not something I would be too concerned over. Just make sure you have a working smoke alarm that's audbile from where you'll be in your home and fire extinguishers positioned in your house. This is also known as basic fire safety.

what about my DSL router (which is basically a tiny computer inside a small plastic box with no fan, that stays on 24-7)?

what about my electric toothbrush and shaver recharging units?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

what if your refrigerator blows up?
what if your pipes burst?
what if your roof caves in?
what if an evil monkey is living in your closet?
what if someone breaks into your house?
what if your TV explodes?
what if your carpet melts?

HOLY SH!T! @$%$!!

*runs around the house like an idiot unplugging everything he can find *

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
About PC catching fire. Most of the times it's because of crappy PSU that can't handle load/doesn't have voltage protection etc etc etc. If you have decent PSU and good HSU you've got nothing to worry about.

jtusa

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2004
Ever since I had PC burst into flames (luckily while I was home), I never leave PCs on when I'm not around.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
This thread is making me want to upgrade the power supply on my computer. :p

I leave it on pretty much 24/7. I need to hear the hum of the fans to be able to sleep. :D

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
It contributes to heating. ALL Of the energy it consumes is turned to heat, so if you turn off your PC you will have to turn the heater up to use the same amount of power.

QFMFT. During the summer, if anyone makes the unforgivable mistake of shutting off the A/C or setting it at a stupid temperature like 80F, I am the first to notice. Computers put out a lot more heat than you expect.

Ugh.

2 power supplies, 5 exhaust fans, 8 hard drives = 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: eos
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
It contributes to heating. ALL Of the energy it consumes is turned to heat, so if you turn off your PC you will have to turn the heater up to use the same amount of power.

QFMFT. During the summer, if anyone makes the unforgivable mistake of shutting off the A/C or setting it at a stupid temperature like 80F, I am the first to notice. Computers put out a lot more heat than you expect.

Ugh.

2 power supplies, 5 exhaust fans, 8 hard drives = 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.
I've got a window air conditioner for my computer room and this is in addition to a perfectly fine central air system. It's nice in the winter though. :)