Leaving IT for Construction

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
One problem with construction is it is really hard on your body. If you want to be a spry when you are 65 construction is not the way to go.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003
There are two kinds of people in this world. Desk people and Work people. Some like both. Nothing wrong with either. I've done both, and would go fvcking insane sitting at a desk all day. Especially if I had little to do. But that's just my personality.

Originally posted by: BudAshes
One problem with construction is it is really hard on your body. If you want to be a spry when you are 65 construction is not the way to go.

I've never seen a spry 65 y/o desk jockey myself.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Originally posted by: NL5
There are two kinds of people in this world. Desk people and Work people. Some like both. Nothing wrong with either. I've done both, and would go fvcking insane sitting at a desk all day. Especially if I had little to do. But that's just my personality.

Originally posted by: BudAshes

I've never seen a spry 65 y/o desk jockey myself.

Around here it is pretty common. I see lots of tech people who stay in shape, though i do live in a rather progressive area.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
I worked as a painter and since I was new did a lot of the prep work and heavy lifting (paint comes in barrels how large?!) and to be honest, sometimes I miss the fact that I got to move around all day, feel like I actually was accomplishing stuff and really contributing to the effort, and I miss how delicious food tasted from working all day.

Now I sit at a desk and while I've only done it for a year or so, I think I still prefer it. At the end of the day I go home and I still have energy to do stuff (though maybe not the most time in the world). I just hope to get a better desk job at some point ;)

Best of luck to whatever you choose OP :beer:

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
The only reward in construction is if you take pride in your work and would enjoy walking away from a building and think to yourself that you were part of it, the rest sucks.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
i'd probably just bring a laptop to work with games on it, but construction sounds fun too.

invidia

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2006
The down time might be good in some cases. But I can understand how it can make the day longer than it seems. You might think you spend 40 minutes looking at ATOT, but it may turn out to be only 2 minutes irl. Sometimes I rather be working and have time fly by.