Leather seats and kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I have always stuck to black cloth seats to hide the grime. I have heard that leather would actually be easier, since all of their spills, crumbs, and foot prints would wipe right off. Thoughts?

And if leather is okay, would I be able to get away with light gray, o should I stills tick to black?

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
I have had coffee spilled on my leather seats many of times and it always comes off very easily. If I had cloth seats the would be toast.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Simple solution. Don't let your kids eat in the car.

Leather is pretty easy to clean up though. My wife's car has cream colored leather and still looks tip top.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Leather is cold, can crack and is more expensive. Not sure about additional proneness to static electric shocks.

If you have concerns, then purchase slip on seat protectors for the seats which the kids use.

JETninja

Oct 5, 2001
I much prefer leather and only in my 19 yr old M3 have I had cracked leather. In our Minivans and Explorers we always got leather, its super easy to clean compared to cloth and looks a hell of a lot better. Leather can be soft, supple, cool and warm. Have raised 4 Sons (2 now drive). Cloth is just cheap IMO.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Most cheaper leather I.e. anything not nappa or Merino is probably coated with a plastic layer and been recolored and regrained with a press. That's how BMW Dakota leather is. Probably similar with other leather on say a non luxury car or entry level cars like an a4 or 3 series. If its pretty soft it'll warp. If its thicker its probably thicker but they will all have plastic . So they probably will hold up OK .

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000

Leather is pretty easy to clean up though. My wife's car has cream colored leather and still looks tip top.

Try driving an hour or two with crabby kids. A snack will sometimes quiet them down. I also have to pick my wife up late from work, so sometimes it is closer to 7:00 before we all get home.

It is also drips from their milk cups, and now in the winter sluhly footprints from them climbing into their car seats.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
As long as sharp objects are kept away from kids; leather is worthwhile in terms of cleanup.

master7045

Jul 15, 2005
<---Have a 3 yr old and an 8 month old. Leather is easier to clean up & keep clean. Milk, Juice, crumbs, dog hair, everything is easier to get off of leather than cloth. I put our car seats on top of a blanket or car seat pad (fancy blanket) to try and keep the leather nice for when we eventually remove the car seats.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Leather is WAY easier with kids. WAY WAY WAY easier.

Personally, I'd stick with a darker color though.

/this

it is so easy to clean and no stains.

saying that i hate leather seats.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

This. Snacks and drinks are one thing, but I have seen some absolutely filthy cars that people drove their kids in. No excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.