Learning to drive a manual tranny sucks...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TJN23

Golden Member
May 4, 2002
stick shift cars can be "kick started" which is good if your battery ever dies and you're on flat or a downhill....learn to drive stick shift

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rahminator
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: KingNothing
For starting on a hill, do this:

1) Feet on clutch and brake.
2) Apply handbrake.
3) Feet on gas and clutch.
4) To get going, release the handbrake slowly while letting up on the clutch and applying a little gas.

No rolling back, no smoking tires, no holding the car in place with the clutch. It's so easy!

What he said. Piece of cake.

Not hardcore enough.

No less the correct way.

The hardcore way:
1. Feet on brake + clutch
2. Quickly move 1 foot to gas pedal and floor it
3. Meet with clutch + generate lots of wheel spin

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Rahminator
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: KingNothing
For starting on a hill, do this:

1) Feet on clutch and brake.
2) Apply handbrake.
3) Feet on gas and clutch.
4) To get going, release the handbrake slowly while letting up on the clutch and applying a little gas.

No rolling back, no smoking tires, no holding the car in place with the clutch. It's so easy!

What he said. Piece of cake.

Not hardcore enough.

No less the correct way.

The hardcore way:
1. Feet on brake + clutch
2. Quickly move 1 foot to gas pedal and floor it
3. Meet with clutch + generate lots of wheel spin

huey1124

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2000

i always tell teenagers that when they learn to drive, do it on a stick. i think it's much easier to learn stick shift when you're younger, on older cars like VW rabbits. when i learned to drive, it was on a stick and i learned within an afternoon.

when i moved to California, my friends were impressed when i would take them to San Francisco and parallel park my car on hills. like someone mentioned, all you need to do is use hand brake while using clutch and gas at same time. very easy.