Learning to drive a manual tranny sucks...

dave127

Nov 26, 2000
This is the first time I've not been able to get something right the first time. Two days and two hours of driving later, I still can't get an uphill start right. It's such a pain in the ass. Granted, I probably shouldnt be learning how to drive on a 500 hp big block Chevy Camaro, but still, this sucks. Anyone have any tips? I'm afraid to give it enough gas to get started, and for some reason I cant get it out of my head that I have to leave my foot off the brake to get going and drift a little down the hill.

Dave

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
I love driving with stick shift... I've been practicing on a celica for about 3 months now every once in a while, and I'm getting better at it... 90% of the stuff is near second nature to me now, just need to get better handle of parallel parking squeezing(into a small spot), and gotta try to rid the few inch slideback while starting from a stop on an uphill

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
Practice, Practice, and when you finally think you have it right... Practice some more.

The very first car I learned to drive in was a stick-shift Toyota truck. It wasn't pretty, but eventually I got the hang of it.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Savarak
I love driving with stick shift... I've been practicing on a celica for about 3 months now every once in a while, and I'm getting better at it... 90% of the stuff is near second nature to me now, just need to get better handle of parallel parking squeezing(into a small spot), and gotta try to rid the few inch slideback while starting from a stop on an uphill

Heh heh I used to have an '82 and I never even used the clutch on the thing but to start. :D

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
hammer the gas and drop the clutch some tire squeal and smoke doesnt hurt

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: dave127
This is the first time I've not been able to get something right the first time. Two days and two hours of driving later, I still can't get an uphill start right. It's such a pain in the ass. Granted, I probably shouldnt be learning how to drive on a 500 hp big block Chevy Camaro, but still, this sucks. Anyone have any tips? I'm afraid to give it enough gas to get started, and for some reason I cant get it out of my head that I have to leave my foot off the brake to get going and drift a little down the hill.

Dave

Don't worry about it. If I could learn to do it, you can too.

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
go rent a small standard shift car or truck,like a ranger,toyota,etc

i learned with my Dads 1965 Int.Scout,and my neighbors 1968/69 Datsun Pickup

Old VW's were easy to learn on too!

Keep trying,
I have a '67 Camaro 4 speed with a big block, :)

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
i just learned as well and im comfortably driving already (only been one week)

you need to find the trigger point when you release the clutch. find it learn to flirt with it without giving gas.. you'll learn at which point the car starts to stutter and stall eventually if you let go further.

after knowing this, leave your brake depressed with your right foot and release the clutch just right before the trigger point. Then let go of your brake and gas it as you release the clutch completely.

this eliminates the reaction/preparation time for launching your car, thus less time for your car to slide backwards.

dave127

Nov 26, 2000
yeah, I'm very glad to be learning, but I gotta take it to the prom friday, so I need to get better fast. At any rate, I've been asking my dad to teach me since I got my permit two years ago, but he just never wanted to take me out so I can't drive his car when he's not around.

Dave

Aug 23, 2000
I learned to drive a stick almost 10 years ago, and never drove one untill last year. I went to a car dealer and "re-certified" myself on a Chevy Silverado. Did pretty good having not driven a stick in so long. Now, i'm to the point where i can stand driving a automatic.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
For starting on a hill, do this:

1) Feet on clutch and brake.
2) Apply handbrake.
3) Feet on gas and clutch.
4) To get going, release the handbrake slowly while letting up on the clutch and applying a little gas.

No rolling back, no smoking tires, no holding the car in place with the clutch. It's so easy!

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
heh...my last day in car sales, three new trainees came onto the floor. Two of them didn't know how to drive a stick. One guy couldn't get over the little drainage dip leaving the lot and another salesman took over the test drive.

Needless to say, those two people were gone in about a week.

Gonna miss driving that S2000 and the SI, too.

Scitex

Oct 9, 1999
Start letting your foot off of the clutch just enough that you hear the engine slow down a little while still holding your right foot on the brake. Then let off the brake and give it a little gas as you release the clutch more. It's all in the timing.....something that comes with practice. I had a 500hp '70 Chevelle SS a few years back and it can be tricky on the uphill starts without either killing the motor or burning the tires off! Good luck :)

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
When I got my permit, my dad took me out in his '72 MGB. Its a stick. He wouldnt let me drive anything else until I got the hang of that. It took me maybe 5 hours behind the wheel in stop-and-go backroads driving to finally get the hang of it.

dave127

Nov 26, 2000
well....i must say, after a while i got much better, although still not like a seasoned driver by any means, but its much easier and im very adjusted to using the clutch and can use it to ease out and stuff like that, i need a little bit more work on the hills, although i dont stall out anymore, but once i got it down, driving became so much fun....its so much more fun than driving an auto

Dave

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
A lot of it is just getting the right feel for the clutch. Practice letting out the clutch without applying ANY gas, i.e. just roll from a stop. Then it's just a matter of practice and getting comfortable with it. Once you learn you'll be hooked - driving will be much more fun and you'll never want to drive an auto again.

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
practice, practice, practice.

the only car i drove auto was the one used on the road test. two nissans and a honda later all been manuals; people who tell you driving an auto is more fun then manual - have no clue ;)

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: KingNothing

2) Apply handbrake.
4) To get going, release the handbrake slowly while letting up on the clutch and applying a little gas.

No rolling back, no smoking tires, no holding the car in place with the clutch. It's so easy!

What he said. Piece of cake.

puffpio

Golden Member
Dec 21, 1999
yeah on a steep hill i use the handbrake as well to get me started. mostly i do this when parallel parking on a hill (I HATE THIS with a stick)

Rahminator

Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: KingNothing

2) Apply handbrake.

What he said. Piece of cake.

Not hardcore enough.