Learning all about HDTV? best website?

Mayfriday0529

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2003
Learning all about HDTV? best website?

What would be the best website for learning all about HDTV from the basic to high stuff?

I keep reading bit and pieces but from different websites. Looking for a source that talks about everything and doesn't make jump to other websites for information. Need more information on all the standards (480i, 480p, to 1080i, 1080p) types of connections Component, HDMI etc. Resolutions and TV?s out there and upscaling and the new Blue ray and HD-DVD.

I deal sometimes with HDTV questions and resolutions and other things at work (no i don't work at bestbuy).

Thank you.

broshiggie

May 21, 2003
avsforum is nice, but there is way too much info there for me to process. they have 70 page threads dedicated to 1 model, and when you ask a question that was answered in page 45 of the thread you get told to use the search function, which isnt all that great to begin with.

defintely not a primary source, but once you have narrowed down your choices read the threads there to get specifics. also the default color scheme could use some changing...

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: broshiggie
avsforum is nice, but there is way too much info there for me to process. they have 70 page threads dedicated to 1 model, and when you ask a question that was answered in page 45 of the thread you get told to use the search function, which isnt all that great to begin with.

defintely not a primary source, but once you have narrowed down your choices read the threads there to get specifics. also the default color scheme could use some changing...
actually I like all the information in avsforums. it's real owners who happen to be die hard HT fans. They'll tell you like it is, not like some of the reviews you find online.

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: fs5
Originally posted by: MrPickins
http://www.avsforum.com/
wikipedia to learn about stuff. Then avsforums for purchase decisions.

This is exactly it!!!!

When buying our HDTV, makesure to listn to hte built in speakers. Some of them are horrible!

Panasonic makes a nice model (42") that alot of people at avsforum.com seemed to recomend. That's what I ended up with and I love it. Cost aroun $1900.

Some high end plasma models are now available in 1080 native!!!

Sep 29, 2004
Originally posted by: fs5
Originally posted by: broshiggie

actually I like all the information in avsforums. it's real owners who happen to be die hard HT fans. They'll tell you like it is, not like some of the reviews you find online.

Like how the HK635 is a POS that breaks way more than it should. I wanted it till I read up user experiences. What acrapper.