Learn to shoot your 22, it's all you'll need

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
The FTF issues with the .22 LR are due to it being a rim fire cartridge versus a center fire cartridge. There are also manufacturing defects to consider as .22 LR is very cheap to produce but also cheap to buy, margins are low and quality is also low. You can go buy the most expensive box of .22 LR you can find, grab a handful and I guarantee there are several duds in your hand either due to there not being enough powder in the round, the bullet not being seated correctly (and possibly just falling out) to the primer being bad. The round it also plagued with feeding issues.

I've shot about 10,000 rounds of CCI Blazer and Federal Bulk .22 in the last few years and I've gotten exactly 2 duds IIRC.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
you guys are idiots. a .22 is a great home self defense weapon.

you just have to get one made in the shape of a axe or flip it around and hit them with it.

.22 are great though if ever attacked by cans.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
They will find the OP one day with his .22LR clasped in his hand and mutilitated.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I just strap a 40mm under-slung shotgun to my forearm when I get home.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
CCI is da bomb. Even their "Standard" 40 grn is far superior to the Winchester shit, which is actually more expensive.

Also, SK Jagd.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
not a primer like in centerfire cartridges but it has a priming compound in the rim...

not sure what you're trying to get at here.

There is no need for the "most" qualifier in the post that I was quoting. Any rimfire WITHOUT the priming compound in the rim would be a dud round.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
CCI is da bomb. Even their "Standard" 40 grn is far superior to the Winchester shit, which is actually more expensive.

Also, SK Jagd.

IMO winchester is pretty terrible ammo all around. For cheap ammo I prefer Federal. Even the 12 gauge rounds suck on the winchester side. They're the only brand I've ever had feed and ejection problems with.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
In the civilian world, the .22 rimfire kills the most people by far, I believe.

It's a lot better than a stick, but I wouldn't choose it as a self defense caliber.

Pistol grip only shotguns are just about impossible to control for the average person, and are a poor choice for home defense.

A shotgun has to be aimed just like any other firearm in a self defense situation, and it must be loaded with buckshot or slugs to be effective.

There is no such thing as "knockdown power" with any normal small arm, not even with the .50bmg round. Besides, the .50 may bother the neighbors, even if they are 2 miles away...

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
IMO winchester is pretty terrible ammo all around. For cheap ammo I prefer Federal. Even the 12 gauge rounds suck on the winchester side. They're the only brand I've ever had feed and ejection problems with.

I've never had problems with their 9mm. Haven't tried the rimfire or shotgun ammo though.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
wasn't that just for assassination or something? where you sneak up behind your target and pop them in the head at point blank range?

Probably used for that but they've also used it against violent protesters/whatever. Only seen pictures with a silencer so take from that what you will about what exactly they were doing with it. I would tend to think trying to kill/incapacitate ringleaders with some degree of deniability.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
I got a couple of these installed on my hallway ceilings. It cost an arm a leg for the installation since they had to reinforce the wall studs. Worth the money though. Nowadays when we go to bed we just flip a switch to activate the infrared red sensors. We havent felt this safe in our own home in a long long time:

3999256503_b152df95db.jpg

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
Reading many news stories about firearms used successfully for self defense, very rarely is the criminal killed. Typically the gunshots themselves are enough to get them to flee. Most criminals are looking for easy targets, once we get them to understand we are not an easy target they are going to flee.

Now if you come across someone who is prepared for a gun fight, that's a whole different story. I have friends that carry 3-4 mags with their XPM-9 for 'self defense'. I carry a walther PPS with a backup mag (not for reloading, but for if I have a malfunction). If I need more than 6 shots, I'm not in a typical self defense situation, I'm in a gun fight.

I look at the .22 the same way. In most cases, your shooting at an invader, they are going to be worried about getting shot, they probably won't even know if it's a .22 or a 9mm, just that bullets are their way. Sure there is that rare case that they are going to shoot back, or that rare crack head that rushes a shooting gun, but that doesn't invalidate a 22 for self defense. It simply limits the self defense use of a .22.

It's like BJJ or boxing for self defense. Both are good tools for protecting yourself, but neither is a be all end all for unarmed self defense, both systems have weaknesses. The same is true of different caliber weapons, sure carrying a semi-auto 12 round shotgun is probably a good way to kill what you shoot at, but the limitations of self defense come from recoil, size, weight, etc. You can really only use that in your home. Likewise larger caliber handguns are going to need more training and the ability/desire to carry more weight on your belt.

In the end, get the gun your comfortable with, not the gun anyone on the internet tells you to get. Having a gun (and being trained to use it) is still a million times more effective than not having a gun.