Leaky kitchen sink (basket piece)

Sep 29, 2004
My leak is not in the frain. Even though I use words like leaking and sink at google, all I get are how to fix the damned drain and the drain's trap. T

How do I fix the sink's leak? The seal in the sink itself is leaking.

I figure I need some plumbers putty (I have that), but I can't figure out how to get it apart!

Help me.

EDIT: It's not the trap (bendy thing). It's the piece that acts a s a trap to trap food so it doesn't go down the drain. WHat is that thing called?

EIDT 2: It's the basket that is not sealed properly.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Sounds like your gasket needs to be replaced.
EDIT: Don't use putty.

shilala

Lifer
Oct 5, 2004
It's called a basket strainer or a spin and grin.
There's a big nut on the bottom, right up against the sink bowl.
Tighten it.
If that doesn't get it, buy a new one and some plumber's putty and pm me.

Nov 5, 2001
unscrew the large retainer nut, disasseble the P-trap, remove strainer frm sink basin. Scrape out all existing plumbers putty. Roll a new snake of putty in your hands, taking care to knead the putty well to soften it. Reinstall strainer, tighten down nut, but not TOO tight. Reinstall trap. Check for leaks. If dripping, tighten nut a little more. Repeat.

Sep 29, 2004
I finally got er done, but I might need to redo it. The cardboard ring was totally destroyed from the leak. And the rubber one is not on centered. I'll leave it be till it leaks again.

Thanks for all the help.

PS: I found sites that say to use silicon instead of plumbers putty. Sounds liek an OK idea, but I stuck with the putty even thoguh I happened to have some clear silicon around. I used plumbers putty.

Sep 29, 2004
Also, it took me about 5-10 minutes once I had the proper tools. Used a hugepair of lock plyers that seem to be sized for 4" pipes ;) Also found hte wrench IO could have used that looks purpose built for this operation.