Leaked PlayStation 5 design looks out of this world in renders

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's a dev kit -- even if it's indicative of a real device, it's not what you'll see in your living room. Let me know when there's a leak for the finished PS5 design and then it'll be relevant!

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I don't think you'll need to be notified... as it will likely be littered everywhere in feeds from every tech site ever.

Mar 11, 2004
It's a dev kit -- even if it's indicative of a real device, it's not what you'll see in your living room. Let me know when there's a leak for the finished PS5 design and then it'll be relevant!

That's a pretty elaborate design for a dev kit. Aren't they usually fairly simplistic boxes (i.e. pretty much PC-esque chassis)?

I can't imagine its better for heat dissipation either as it seems like it'll be limiting the size of the fans they could put in it, so I really hope the final consumer version doesn't look like that.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's a pretty elaborate design for a dev kit. Aren't they usually fairly simplistic boxes (i.e. pretty much PC-esque chassis)?

I can't imagine its better for heat dissipation either as it seems like it'll be limiting the size of the fans they could put in it, so I really hope the final consumer version doesn't look like that.

Usually! There have been exceptions, though. The PS2 dev kit actually looked a whole lot like the production model.

I think it's safe to presume the finished PS5 will be different. The PS4 was an acknowledgment that Sony can't be too outrageous with the design if it's going to sit alongside the rest of your home theater setup.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

The XBox One X devkit looks very similar to a customer system, just with added buttons and a framerate LCD counter:

1492009090_xbox-scorpio-xdk-01.jpg

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I highly doubt the design is going to impact a single person's purchase. As long as it plays games, people will buy it, so it honestly doesn't matter what it looks like. When the XBox was reported to be in the shape of a giant X, people were still going to buy the thing.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I highly doubt the design is going to impact a single person's purchase. As long as it plays games, people will buy it, so it honestly doesn't matter what it looks like. When the XBox was reported to be in the shape of a giant X, people were still going to buy the thing.

This thing has to sit in the center of my living room, under my TV. You can be damn sure the appearance will effect whether I buy one!

Reactions: JJChicken

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This thing has to sit in the center of my living room, under my TV. You can be damn sure the appearance will effect whether I buy one!
I refuse to believe anyone would be so shallow as to let the design of a video game console deter them from purchasing. Let's be honest here: if you're going to keep a video game console in your living room, you're not entertaining A-list celebrities or foreign delegates, so why would you care what it looks like if it still plays your favorite games? Your average human, friend, family member, date, etc. won't care in the slightest if you have an entertainment device in the room dedicated to entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I refuse to believe anyone would be so shallow as to let the design of a video game console deter them from purchasing. Let's be honest here: if you're going to keep a video game console in your living room, you're not entertaining A-list celebrities or foreign delegates, so why would you care what it looks like if it still plays your favorite games? Your average human, friend, family member, date, etc. won't care in the slightest if you have an entertainment device in the room dedicated to entertainment.

I appreciate a nice looking living room!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Unless the thing is 10 feet tall and in the shape of Gumby, it's not going to wreck your living room. People are just being petty and love to nitpick everything as much as possible for some reason. Concept designs have always been a thing and there's always been people who throw the biggest tantrums over the dumbest things. Besides, until Sony comes out and says "Look at the finalized version of the new PS5! This is exactly what will be ruining your living room decor." there's absolutely no reason to even get excited about anything. These are leaks and most likely just a concept or a dev box, but even if it wasn't, the console doesn't look bad. It's different, but it's still a mostly-rectangular black box which fits the same design as all Playstation consoles except the original.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
My consoles sit in a closet completely out of view unless I open it.

PS5 could look like a 12" dildo for all I care. I'd still sit it right on the shelf in all it's glory.

• Haha
Reactions: JPB
Mar 11, 2004
The XBox One X devkit looks very similar to a customer system, just with added buttons and a framerate LCD counter:

1492009090_xbox-scorpio-xdk-01.jpg

True, and its why I'm concerned that this is foretelling the final system design. I kinda have a hunch that the final version might ditch most of the upper portion, although I'm expecting the finished one to have a bunch of weird shaped vents (so basically it'll be just the bottom portion but with the vents like the upper portion has on the sides).

There's actually some interesting similarities between the front of that Scorpio dev kit and this PS5 one.

While I agree with your point that people wouldn't buy it just because of the looks, but the design does have an impact on the experience. Lots of people have complained about how noisy the original PS4 was. The 360s's design made the cooling issues worse which exacerbated the solder situation, leading to the RRoD fiasco.

PS5 could look like a 12" dildo for all I care. I'd still sit it right on the shelf in all it's glory.

Does that "shelf" happen to be your chair? Seems like an oddly specific thing to mention.

Mar 11, 2004

This is a bit more intriguing. Supposedly Sony might have a PS5 Pro at launch. To me that seems like a bad decision, but I'm guessing its not going to be a huge difference, and its probably mostly higher clock speeds (I'd guess something like 20% higher where the base one might do 3.25GHz and the Pro is 3.9GHz on the CPU; with the GPU being say 1250 base and 1500 for the Pro) although perhaps one would be for fully enabled (on the GPU, where it has say 10% extra CUs, maybe with some extra clock speeds as well - which might be enough to push the overall GPU to about 25-33% faster), and probably a larger SSD (or a tiered setup, like if their main is embedded NAND, but then they offer a separate one more for storage, possibly it uses SATA, although I'd like if it was swappable PCIe, and leave any HDD for USB). So it'll be something between say the tiered models we saw with the 360 launch, and the Pro/X models we saw later. I could also see them differentiating it by making the standard one have normal Blu-ray, while the Pro offers a UHD/4K drive.

Which perhaps that's what we're looking at is a higher end model that needs extra vents for cooling.

I'd expect the base model to be about 2.5x as powerful as the PS4 Pro, and the PS5 Pro to be 3x (which would put it at about 2x the One X). I have a hunch that Sony found out Microsoft's console was gonna be quite a bit more powerful than the PS5 was initially (like almost 50% more), and so Sony had to come up with something to try and close the gap some (I'd kinda wish more that they had 3x PS4 Pro for the base and then went 3.5-4x for the Pro - which would put it at roughly 8x the power of the original PS4). On the flipside, it sounds like Microsoft's gotten more iffy on the lower end streaming focused one, so I could see them instead make that something more equal to the base PS5, so we end up with base and higher end models from both.

I'd guess Sony will push the Pro for VR so it might have some extra VR focused feature as well (maybe some built in tracking sensor)

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Would you really, though?

What would your in-laws think?
--"Nah, that's not mine. It's your daughter's."

:D