Leaked PlayStation 5 design looks out of this world in renders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
and probably a larger SSD (or a tiered setup, like if their main is embedded NAND, but then they offer a separate one more for storage, possibly it uses SATA, although I'd like if it was swappable PCIe, and leave any HDD for USB).

Swappable SSDs are out of the question considering how dramatically they are changing things to optimize it for the SSD.

This is going to be big.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005

This is a bit more intriguing. Supposedly Sony might have a PS5 Pro at launch. To me that seems like a bad decision, but I'm guessing its not going to be a huge difference, and its probably mostly higher clock speeds (I'd guess something like 20% higher where the base one might do 3.25GHz and the Pro is 3.9GHz on the CPU; with the GPU being say 1250 base and 1500 for the Pro) although perhaps one would be for fully enabled (on the GPU, where it has say 10% extra CUs, maybe with some extra clock speeds as well - which might be enough to push the overall GPU to about 25-33% faster), and probably a larger SSD (or a tiered setup, like if their main is embedded NAND, but then they offer a separate one more for storage, possibly it uses SATA, although I'd like if it was swappable PCIe, and leave any HDD for USB). So it'll be something between say the tiered models we saw with the 360 launch, and the Pro/X models we saw later. I could also see them differentiating it by making the standard one have normal Blu-ray, while the Pro offers a UHD/4K drive.

Which perhaps that's what we're looking at is a higher end model that needs extra vents for cooling.

I'd expect the base model to be about 2.5x as powerful as the PS4 Pro, and the PS5 Pro to be 3x (which would put it at about 2x the One X). I have a hunch that Sony found out Microsoft's console was gonna be quite a bit more powerful than the PS5 was initially (like almost 50% more), and so Sony had to come up with something to try and close the gap some (I'd kinda wish more that they had 3x PS4 Pro for the base and then went 3.5-4x for the Pro - which would put it at roughly 8x the power of the original PS4). On the flipside, it sounds like Microsoft's gotten more iffy on the lower end streaming focused one, so I could see them instead make that something more equal to the base PS5, so we end up with base and higher end models from both.

I'd guess Sony will push the Pro for VR so it might have some extra VR focused feature as well (maybe some built in tracking sensor)

I suspect if a pro model comes out it'll be a total waste of money especially with HDMI 2.1 VRR, there won't be any performance differences in practice from something as small as a 20% perf increase, especially with the lower end model being targeted for performance. If anything it'll be worse since you'll have to deal with a louder console.

Mar 11, 2004
Swappable SSDs are out of the question considering how dramatically they are changing things to optimize it for the SSD.

This is going to be big.

I think you don't understand what I'm talking about. The swappable one wouldn't be for expansion (it wouldn't be the main drive).

Most of that optimization is software, which is entirely possible to do even without embedded hardware. That'd be like saying that dGPUs means you wouldn't be able to game since they optimize things so much for the embedded GPU in a console.

Which, I still think it will have embedded NAND, but I'm meaning a port along with that (so it has an NVMe/m.2 slot). Which they could do that for the base drive (and make it not accessible for swapping without taking the whole console apart), and then offer an expansion bay with SATA so users can add 2.5" drives (like they've allowed previously, those just wouldn't be the main drive but more just for storage).

They could come up with a proprietary connector for a separate board that has the NAND on it too.

I suspect if a pro model comes out it'll be a total waste of money especially with HDMI 2.1 VRR, there won't be any performance differences in practice from something as small as a 20% perf increase, especially with the lower end model being targeted for performance. If anything it'll be worse since you'll have to deal with a louder console.

I don't think 20% is small when its talking about an extra 2-3TF of performance. That likely would mean being able to have ray-tracing on with no performance penalty for traditional rendering.

And for people without VRR capable displays, that 20% could mean them not being stuck with 30Hz instead of 60 if it let them go from 50fps to 60fps. Sure for many people it won't be worth it (especially if the Pro version costs 20%+ over the base/non-Pro one).

Not necessarily, as its possible that's what the hideous dev kit was about, is providing extra venting preventing the need for any louder console.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
A new render of Sony's next-gen PlayStation 5 has surfaced on the ResetEra forums, with forum user 'CrimsonNocturne' making up these bad boys:

OK, so just fan-generated speculation junk. Why is this posted as information?

It looks like Cybertruck, which is why my first assumption was that some fan created it on their own, based on nothing. (OK, except for their love of Cybertruck, obviously, which I confirmed when clicking on the link. :D)

Mar 11, 2004
Hideous. anything put on top will slide off. Dumb.

No it won't, the angle isn't that steep. Not entirely sure what you'd be setting on top of it anyway. Does the Switch dock not have any rubberized feet?

That being said, I'm not impressed by that design at all, not that I care that much as it just doesn't matter as long as its not just outright stupid or designed in a way that actually hinders performance. I think most consoles look quite stupid.

ShookKnight

Dec 12, 2019
Ah - now I get the design... it's suppose to be the roman numeral; V. As in 5.

Nonetheless, this looks like garbage.

And, I JUST started playing my PS4. So, this will be a pass for a few years. I will get it eventually though.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Home News Gaming New trapezoidal PS5 render is an expensive accident waiting to happen

69730_94_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

69730_95_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

69730_96_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

69730_91_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

69730_92_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

69730_93_new-trapezoidal-ps5-render-expensive-accident-waiting-happen_full.png

We've seen all kinds of PS5 renditions pop up over the last few months. Some renders of the PS5 devkit look pretty neat, others look like printers with a scalene triangle shape. This new batch is rather...well...confusing.

The latest PS5 renders show a trapezoidal chassis design that's eye-catching but massively inconvenient. How do you pick the damn thing up? Its all curves and contours on the sides and the stingray-shaped V-molded exhaust port in the back. Picking this thing up would be like trying to pick up a penny with chubby fingers. It just doesn't work and is an expensive disaster waiting to happen.

Also the console is way too small. The PlayStation logo is very disproportionate to the overall housing, making the PS5 look more like a stylized PlayStation VR breakout processing box than an actual next-gen console.

Nitpicking aside, it's still interesting to see these kinds of renders on the web. Next-gen season is an exciting time filled with all kinds of unconventional and outlandish designs, and to their credit, artists are trying to keep things a bit more realistic this time (if extremely unwieldy).

Sony could reveal some PS5 details during their CES 2020 press conference tonight at 8PM EST. We'll have all the latest from the show.

Sony is expected to reveal the PS5 in a special event in February 2020. The console will release in Holiday 2020, and it may cost $499.

PlayStation 5 specs and details:
Custom SoC with second-gen Navi GPU, Zen 2 CPU
8-Core, 16-thread Zen 2 CPU at 3.2GHz
Navi GPU at 2.0GHz with 36 Compute Units
Navi, Zen SoC uses new AMD RDNA 2.0 architecture
Ultra-fast SSD
Support for 4K 120 Hz TVs
Ray-tracing enabled
8K output support (for gaming)
Plays all PS4 games
Separate games that ship on BD-XL Blu-ray discs
New controller with extensive haptic and tactile feedback

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do they make a model with lots of sharp spikes on top? Friend has a PS4, his cat constantly sits on top of it and preens, he's always chasing it off.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So, all of these are renders which aren't the finalized product. Why are these even being posted and talked about if they are just conceptual designs? This is akin to someone drawing their own designs and then people speculating on that (which is completely pointless).

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So, all of these are renders which aren't the finalized product. Why are these even being posted and talked about if they are just conceptual designs? This is akin to someone drawing their own designs and then people speculating on that (which is completely pointless).
I was wondering the same.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Do they make a model with lots of sharp spikes on top? Friend has a PS4, his cat constantly sits on top of it and preens, he's always chasing it off.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
It's weird how judgmental so many people are over the look and size of a console but for PC it never matters how big or ugly any particular case is but if most any of them were the shell for a new console gamers would freak. Back in the day I never heard anyone comment much on the N64, Jaguar or the others but these days it's complaint paradise.

Reactions: JPB

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
but for PC it never matters how big or ugly any particular case is
Well you couldn't be more wrong with that. Anyone spending time and money building a PC is going to pick a case they not only like, but will accommodate all of their needs. There are still plenty of plain cases out there, but it's rare to see a high-end machine with a simple block case.

Back in the day I never heard anyone comment much on the N64, Jaguar or the others but these days it's complaint paradise.
I wasn't aware internet forums were around in 1996, but I didn't get a PC (or dial-up) until 1998, so I could be wrong.

All jesting aside, the internet has made people vain to the point that the only things people love more than pictures of themselves, is complaining about pointless things (like conceptual designs of a console that hasn't been revealed yet).

CJones33

Banned
Jan 15, 2020
As long as it performs well and they don't mess with the dualshock controllers a whole lot, it doesn't matter to me what the actual console looks like.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh speaking of the dualshocks, I really REALLY hope they get rid of the terrible Playstation controller design. They have been terrible since forever. They are STILL riding the tacked on analog placement from the original PSX controller design from over 2 decades ago with the d-pad in the primary thumb position.

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Oh speaking of the dualshocks, I really REALLY hope they get rid of the terrible Playstation controller design. They have been terrible since forever. They are STILL riding the tacked on analog placement from the original PSX controller design from over 2 decades ago with the d-pad in the primary thumb position.

I hope it remains roughly symmetrical, can't stand the dodgy asymmetric controllers like the Xbox ones.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I hope it remains roughly symmetrical, can't stand the dodgy asymmetric controllers like the Xbox ones.
Not sure what you are talking about. Xbox controllers have always been symmetrical.

And the analog placement is proper. The left analog stick is in the most primary spot where your thumb naturally rests. Just like the buttons on the right side are where your right thumb naturally rests. The right analog and face buttons are what are most used for most games so they are in the primary positions - makes total sense. The d-pad is in the secondary position and the right analog is in the secondary position since those aren't primary inputs for the most part.

Playstation has always had it wrong and the left analog is in the secondary position and the right analog is in the secondary position. Why would the primary input method be in the secondary position? It makes absolutely no sense. Well I mean it made sense for the first dual shock since they literally tacked on analog sticks to the original PSX controller. And in PSX days, the analog stick WAS the secondary input - the dpad was still primary input for like 95% of games. But since then there is no excuse. Just terrible design.

And it makes it easy to touch thumbs when using dual analogs. Thankfully the DS4 is wider so that doesn't happen as much anymore.