Leaked Media Matters Memo - Attack Personal Lives Of Journalists We Disagree With

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I don't get the point of bothering to attack Fox to make them illegitamite in the eyes of the news consumer, because they are already. Why lower yourself and make yourself illegitimate in order to try to make a piece of shit stink a little more? Hopefully media matters didn't implement this policy, the article didn't seem to indicate.

Nov 30, 2006
You need to read my posts more carefully. (again) My posts did not support this action, I just mentioned how totally unsurprising it is, so the shock and outrage seems silly.

If you genuinely didn't know that political parties were willing to attack unfriendly reporters, particularly ones of partisan political outfits like Fox, you're awfully naive.
I also think it's "scummy" regardless of party affiliation. I'm just expressing my opinion regarding a current news story as well as contrasting the converse point made by Bowfinger. And for the record, your hyperbolic depiction that I'm somehow shocked and outraged seems "silly" to me. But hey...I've come to expect this kind of rhetoric from you.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Is any of this illegal?

Isn't the right that says "If you have nothing to hide..."?

Almost seems like Karma for the Fox "not news, but entertainment" standard of lowered ethical expectations.

Makes me chuckle.

+1 payback is a bitch!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I also think it's "scummy" regardless of party affiliation. I'm just expressing my opinion regarding a current news story as well as contasting the converse point made by Bowfinger. And for the record, your hyperbolic depiction that I'm somehow shocked and outraged seems "silly" to me.

Well you certainly appeared shocked that reporters would be included. My apologies as to the imperfect nature of internet forum communication there, friend DSF.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
+1 payback is a bitch!

If you approve of hiring detectives for the purpose of ruining lives of people who aren't politicians then so be it, but never boast of moral or ethical superiority, nor of those who excuse or endorse such actions. It is wrong to go after private citizens this way regardless of who they work for.

tarheel1983

Feb 13, 2012
Honestly at this point it is the same on both sides. The only politician that isnt corrupt is only listed as such because they have not been discovered. Im not going to act all high and mighty like I know what the solution is but I can say the way things are run nowadays are a disgrace to what this country was founded on.

How many times have you heard a politician say we need to do this or that for our Democracy, unfortunately the amount of people that realize this is wrong are few. We live in a Republic, I think we should have a basic course in politics required before holding office.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The feigned indignation, logical fallacies, and short memories are in large supply here today.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
You're proving my point craig, both sides engage in it, it's both a left and a right issue. Of course you will only point out the right doing it, while I point out the left doing it. The difference is I admit my side does it while you usually try to act as if it's only the right that are the bad guys. Can you say "Soros"?

You're right. Both sides do this sort of thing. Politics is a dirty game in these United States.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You're right. Both sides do this sort of thing. Politics is a dirty game in these United States.

Thank you woolfe, it's just not that hard to admit that even the political side we normally hang out at sometimes do rather despicable things.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The dirty politics thing has been going on here since our country was founded. Look at the history of dirty compaigns in this country. Nothing new, both sides do it and will continue to do it until people decide they no longer will accept it.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 1999
If you approve of hiring detectives for the purpose of ruining lives of people who aren't politicians then so be it, but never boast of moral or ethical superiority, nor of those who excuse or endorse such actions. It is wrong to go after private citizens this way regardless of who they work for.

I know, why can't we just let private citizens like Rush, Hannity, Beck, Rove, Murdock etc. fling their lies and vitriol in peace right?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If you can't fight the message then stoop to the lowest means needed.

Oh come on. Personal attacks are a sign of an inability to refute someone's argument if that other person is interested in or engaging in honest argument. Do you seriously believe that Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, or Karl Rove are interested in engaging in honest argument?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Exactly, these are fine upstanding private citizens merely exercising their first amendment rights. Now if they made a career out of attacking people like that mean leftwing media hate machine...

Yeah, it's not like they're getting paid to lie and boost their ratings. They're just there to spead mis-information out of the goodness of their hearts.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Oh come on. Personal attacks are a sign of an inability to refute someone's argument if that other person is interested in or engaging in honest argument. Do you seriously believe that Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, or Karl Rove are interested in engaging in honest argument?

Are they funding private detectives to look into journalists lives so they can either expose or do something else with the information? Or is it just media matters that does it?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are they funding private detectives to look into journalists lives so they can either expose or do something else with the information? Or is it just media matters that does it?

Well we don't know if any of them do it, just that media matters discussed it. Political operations dig up dirt on their opponents constantly, by all means necessary. Do you honestly think this would be the first time a political operation tried to dig up dirt on unfriendly media?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You guys need to go back and read the OP. Yeah, there's some wanker partisan right wingers out there, but let's not play the moral equivalence game with what media matters did or is doing.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The dirty politics thing has been going on here since our country was founded. Look at the history of dirty compaigns in this country. Nothing new, both sides do it and will continue to do it until people decide they no longer will accept it.

You're right. It's nothing new. It's tempting to say it's gotten worse lately and perhaps it has in the very short term, but then I just think back to Watergate which wasn't that long ago. That was worse than any of these things we're talking about now because it was flat out criminal. That said, I think it's possibly gotten worse with the development of mass media, and later specifically the internet, especially the character assassination aspect of it. :(

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Oh come on. Personal attacks are a sign of an inability to refute someone's argument if that other person is interested in or engaging in honest argument.

From OP.

“We should hire private investigators to look into the personal lives of Fox News anchors, hosts, reporters, prominent contributors, senior network and corporate staff,” he wrote.

I agree with your point.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
So basically you are using the old political line of "its all good because the other guys did it first?" You even got to throw in a bit of "at least my side isn't doing it quite as bad as the other side".

No, that's close to the opposite of what I said.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
From OP.

I agree with your point.

You didn't get my point then. I said IF they are engaging in honest arguments. Fox News is not a legitimate news source, it is a partisan political operation. While I don't support this goal as I think it's shady regardless of the target, that doesn't alter my contempt for Fox's political advocacy disguised as journalism.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
You didn't get my point then. I said IF they are engaging in honest arguments. Fox News is not a legitimate news source, it is a partisan political operation. While I don't support this goal as I think it's shady regardless of the target, that doesn't alter my contempt for Fox's political advocacy disguised as journalism.

Then I take it back. I disagree with your first point.

I think personal attacks say nothing about the target and everything about the attacker. If you are facing a hopelessly biased, dishonest argument, then the mature thing to do is ignore it, because it is truly beneath you: you are principled, they are not.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Then I take it back. I disagree with your first point.

I think personal attacks say nothing about the target and everything about the attacker. If you are facing a hopelessly biased, dishonest argument, then the mature thing to do is ignore it, because it is truly beneath you: you are principled, they are not.

Great idea! Worked really well for John Kerry when he was swift-boated. Just ignore the lies, they couldn't hurt because they're not true.