Leaked Media Matters Memo - Attack Personal Lives Of Journalists We Disagree With

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
“Simply put,” Frisch wrote, “the progressive movement is in need of an enemy. George W. Bush is gone. We really don’t have John McCain to kick around any more. Filling the lack of leadership on the right, Fox News has emerged as the central enemy and antagonist of the Obama administration, our Congressional majorities and the progressive movement as a whole.”

“We must take Fox News head-on in a well funded, presidential-style campaign to discredit and embarrass the network, making it illegitimate in the eyes of news consumers.”

What Frisch proceeded to suggest, however, went well beyond what legitimate presidential campaigns attempt. “We should hire private investigators to look into the personal lives of Fox News anchors, hosts, reporters, prominent contributors, senior network and corporate staff,” he wrote.
http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/13/m...ook-into-the-personal-lives-of-fox-employees/

How on earth do people still think this group is credible?

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/13/m...ersonal-lives-of-fox-employees/#ixzz1mKmL6e31

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Is any of this illegal?

Isn't the right that says "If you have nothing to hide..."?

Almost seems like Karma for the Fox "not news, but entertainment" standard of lowered ethical expectations.

Makes me chuckle.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Is any of this illegal?

Isn't the right that says "If you have nothing to hide..."?

Almost seems like Karma for the Fox "not news, but entertainment" standard of lowered ethical expectations.

Makes me chuckle.

No it isn't the right that says "if you have nothing to hide you should let the author...." It's usually the leftist/Democrat authoritarians.

I knew there would be some leftists that post here that would think that anything that's done against conservatives is fine. I'm not surprised by this leaked memo shows this type of behavior by mediamatters with it's staff and it's funding it should have been expected.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Leaked Media Matters Memo - Attack Personal Lives Of Journalists We Disagree With

How on earth do people still think this group is credible?

Part of the new American Revolution.

Which side do you fall on?

Silly question, of course you are on the the Murdoch supported Fox America haters side.

In the past Journalists were spared from the lines of battle but now these are not Journalist's, they are actors working for an Entertainment Organization as defined by the Supreme Court.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Part of the new American Revolution.

Which side do you fall on?

Silly question, of course you are on the the Murdoch supported Fox America haters side.

In the past Journalists were spared from the lines of battle but now these are not Journalist's, they are actors working for an Entertainment Organization as defined by the Supreme Court.

None of them are journalists, Soros funded, Koch funded, it doesn't make a difference, they're all either left or right, conservative or liberal, Democrats or Republicans.
It's only the left that lie about it and claim "my side isn't biased, it's your side that's biased!"

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
It's the standard "progressive" activist way of doing things. Such things as the Bill of Rights & Declaration of Independence only apply to government actions. It is the right and the duty of every "progressive" to deny others freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press, life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, right to bear arms, etc., etc., etc., so long as those denying the rights are citizens.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
How quickly people forget who was behind the phone-hacking scandal to dig dirt not on political hypocrite whores, but everyday people and celebrities.

Did it say anywhere to find any false info? The right are the same people who demonize based on lies all the time. We don't need to review some of the list do we?

When you had Republican leaders impeaching Clinton for misleading about a sexual affair they had people pursuing him on while hiding their own sexual affairs...

Richard Mellon Scaife put $50 million into a 'get Clinton' fund to try to dig up any rumors, and it didn't matter that much if they were true. That was bad. At least this is 'honest'.

And that's not just a casual comparison - David Brock was paid by that Scaife money, and he turned on them and founded Media Matters that's the topic here.

Now, it partly depends what kind of info they look for and use.

Remember, for example, Rupert Murdoch - owner of Fox News - publicly claiming he was donating to both parties, but a leak showed he secretly gave $1 million to Republicans...

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
You're proving my point craig, both sides engage in it, it's both a left and a right issue. Of course you will only point out the right doing it, while I point out the left doing it. The difference is I admit my side does it while you usually try to act as if it's only the right that are the bad guys. Can you say "Soros"?

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
How quickly people forget who was behind the phone-hacking scandal to dig dirt not on political hypocrite whores, but everyday people and celebrities.

Did it say anywhere to find any false info? The right are the same people who demonize based on lies all the time. We don't need to review some of the list do we?

When you had Republican leaders impeaching Clinton for misleading about a sexual affair they had people pursuing him on while hiding their own sexual affairs...

Richard Mellon Scaife put $50 million into a 'get Clinton' fund to try to dig up any rumors, and it didn't matter that much if they were true. That was bad. At least this is 'honest'.

And that's not just a casual comparison - David Brock was paid by that Scaife money, and he turned on them and founded Media Matters that's the topic here.

Now, it partly depends what kind of info they look for and use.

Remember, for example, Rupert Murdoch - owner of Fox News - publicly claiming he was donating to both parties, but a leak showed he secretly gave $1 million to Republicans...

Then may I suggest you redirect your anger at Media Matters for turning _themselves_ into a joke. It's not my fault they are not respected.

Perhaps "progressive" activists should not have devoted more time to Sarah Palin's Arctic Cat jacket than all of Blagojovich. Maybe "progressive" congressmen should not give speeches informing that Republicans want us commoners to "die quickly".

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
You're proving my point craig, both sides engage in it, it's both a left and a right issue. Of course you will only point out the right doing it, while I point out the left doing it. The difference is I admit my side does it while you usually try to act as if it's only the right that are the bad guys. Can you say "Soros"?

edit - Just reread your post and stand corrected. :)

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
monovillage

No, it was Bush and Co. that popularized "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." when they pushed the Patriot Act, warrantless wire tapping, Homeland Security, intercepting communications en masse, etc.. How soon we forget.

As far as Media Matters goes, I can't remember ever going to their site. It's possible I've followed a link there, but if I did, I don't remember. I am aware of them at some level of course, but I am pretty indifferent about them. I just think it's worth a chuckle that any element of News Corp may be repaid in kind for their deeds. Although I certainly have political beliefs, my view of this really isn't politically connected at all. I just think Murdock and his minions are assholes and favor them taking some of their own medicine.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
monovillage

No, it was Bush and Co. that popularized "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." when they pushed the Patriot Act, warrantless wire tapping, Homeland Security, intercepting communications en masse, etc.. How soon we forget.

As far as Media Matters goes, I can't remember ever going to their site. It's possible I've followed a link there, but if I did, I don't remember. I am aware of them at some level of course, but I am pretty indifferent about them. I just think it's worth a chuckle that any element of News Corp may be repaid in kind for their deeds. Although I certainly have political beliefs, my view of this really isn't politically connected at all. I just think Murdock and his minions are assholes and favor them taking some of their own medicine.

The thing to remember is that this isn't 'their own medicine' or 'tit for tat' because News is basically about telling lies while media matters is basically about getting the truth out.

The activities might bear some similarity in rare cases like this of the investigating, but one is to spread lies and the other to expose them. They're not 'equivalent'.

If it were something really wrong, then it wouldn't be justified, even if Fox did it.

For example, if Republicans were caught selling drugs to raise campaign funds, the reight response would not be to do the same thing because they did.

Fox lying isn't justification for Fox opponents to lie.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
According to Media Matters's About Page, they are a "progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media." Its not like they are pretending to be Fair & Balanced.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
monovillage

I'd date it much earlier than Bush, it was an issue when I wrote a research paper on the 4th Amendment in the mid 70's. So at least as early as McCarthy. I hate the Patriot Act and have complained about it for years, many conservatives lean libertarian as far as Rights go, kind of a shame Obama extended it. My main comment is that as long as it's conservative media getting screwed the left is all happy happy with it, but reverse it and they all scream and cry.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I got to love all the lefties rationalizing this investigation with private detectives into the personal lives of their journalistic opponents. When or if this happens by Koch funded detectives investigating journalists instead of Soros funded detectives we'll see if you all sing the same tune.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
According to Media Matters's About Page, they are a "progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media." Its not like they are pretending to be Fair & Balanced.

Let's be clear - the fact they're monitoring conservative doesn't mean inaccuracy is ok.

If a Democratic spokesman points out mistakes Romney made and doesn't discuss mistakes Obama made, that's acceptable; if he lies about Romney or Obama, that's not.

Media Matters' focus on the right is because that's were the paid lies mainly are.

David Brock would have happily stayed on the right making good money if he felt they were more honest and decent. His reason for leaving the right was disgust with their actions.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
Why not make everyone happy and go after the corrupt, bought and paid for politicians?

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Let's be clear - the fact they're monitoring conservative doesn't mean inaccuracy is ok.
The fact that they dedicated solely to monitoring conservative misinformation means they're OK with letting inaccuracy on their side of the isle, and that with bipartisan support, slide. In other words, they're self-professed partisan hacks, so their interest in snooping on the partisan hacks over at Fox News is hardly news.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The fact that they dedicated solely to monitoring conservative misinformation means they're OK with letting inaccuracy on their side of the isle, and that with bipartisan support, slide. In other words, they're self-professed partisan hacks, so their interest in snooping on the partisan hacks over at Fox News is hardly news.

Completely wrong, but you won't get it obviously however you have it explained.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Completely wrong, but you won't get it obviously however you have it explained.

I'm pretty sure Craig has me on his ignore, but that doesn't really matter. He's not capable of understanding anyway. Why this is reprehensible is that MM isn't going after FOX based on correctness of their position, but deliberately invading the privacy of their lives in order to get any dirt whatsoever on individuals. They are in need of someone to hate and if they can ruin a few lives that's all good. Like our resident hypocrite anything they do is justified because it doesn't matter what THEY do. All that matters is what anyone else might have done at some other time. Johnny hit Bob, so MM can pummel anyone it likes regardless of ethics or relevancy. The acts of scoundrels aren't so easily dismissed Craig. Oh that's right you don't like opinions of those who tell the truth which you don't like.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm pretty sure Craig has me on his ignore, but that doesn't really matter. He's not capable of understanding anyway. Why this is reprehensible is that MM isn't going after FOX based on correctness of their position, but deliberately invading the privacy of their lives in order to get any dirt whatsoever on individuals. They are in need of someone to hate and if they can ruin a few lives that's all good. Like our resident hypocrite anything they do is justified because it doesn't matter what THEY do. All that matters is what anyone else might have done at some other time. Johnny hit Bob, so MM can pummel anyone it likes regardless of ethics or relevancy. The acts of scoundrels aren't so easily dismissed Craig. Oh that's right you don't like opinions of those who tell the truth which you don't like.

Just because one person in the Media Matters organization allegedly advocated doing so doesn't mean that it happened.

The accusation dovetails perfectly with the right wing persecution complex, for sure.