Leaked AMD Roadmap 14th March

R3MF

Oct 19, 2004
quick question - where are the 2.4GHz parts?

i just don't want to buy something clocked at 2.1GHz or 2.3GHz. :)

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
It looks bogus to me...
The Barcelona isn't HT 3.0 (so none of the "+" sockets), and it is supposed to debut in Socket F.

coolpurplefan

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2006
Yeah, it's been "leaked" to prevent their stock price from going to hell. Still rumors of lots of inventory dragging down prices.

renethx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Viditor
It looks bogus to me...
The Barcelona isn't HT 3.0 (so none of the "+" sockets), and it is supposed to debut in Socket F.
The original source of the Inquirer's news is

AMD K10 (Altair, Antares, Arcturus)

where Opteron 12xx (Barcelona) is a 1-way processor with Socket AM2+. That seems to be very reasonable to me because the existing 1-way Opteron processors (1210, 1212, 1214, 1216, 1218, 1220 SE) are all Socket AM2. Perhaps the 1-way Barcelona processors are identical with Agena:
  • Opteron 1266 = Athlon 64 X4 2100 (2.1GHz, 95W)
  • Opteron 1268SE = Athlon 64 X4 2300 (2.3GHz, 120W)
  • Opteron 1270SE = Athlon 64 X4 2500 (2.5GHz, 120W)
and xx = 60 or higher indicates quad-core. 2-way and 8-way Barcelona processors are a different story; they are all Socket F.

The rest of the news is just a comment by the Inquirer that usually includes many techinical mistakes.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
It's fake. how can I tell?

"AMD Desktop K8L Processor Stack"

AMD clearly stated K8L is not a real codename, the new processors will be K10.

Edit: You have to go read the first post in that german thread.

renethx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Kur

The table "AMD Desktop K8L Processor Stack" was cited from HKEPC News:

AMD to enter K8L era in 2H 2007

HKEPC News is usually very correct. And HKEPC News has nothing to do with the truthfulness of the table in question. (Forget about useless discussion on K8L vs. K10.)

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: renethx
Originally posted by: Viditor
It looks bogus to me...
The original source of the Inquirer's news is

AMD K10 (Altair, Antares, Arcturus)

where Opteron 12xx (Barcelona) is a 1-way processor with Socket AM2+. That seems to be very reasonable to me because the existing 1-way Opteron processors (1210, 1212, 1214, 1216, 1218, 1220 SE) are all Socket AM2. Perhaps the 1-way Barcelona processors are identical with Agena:
  • Opteron 1266 = Athlon 64 X4 2100 (2.1GHz, 95W)
  • Opteron 1268SE = Athlon 64 X4 2300 (2.3GHz, 120W)
  • Opteron 1270SE = Athlon 64 X4 2500 (2.5GHz, 120W)
and xx = 60 or higher indicates quad-core. 2-way and 8-way Barcelona processors are a different story; they are all Socket F.

The rest of the news is just a comment by the Inquirer that usually includes many techinical mistakes.

I did catch the model number, and you're right...but the AM2+ is what caught my eye as Barcelona isn't a "+" socket chip.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: Kur

The table "AMD Desktop K8L Processor Stack" was cited from HKEPC News:

AMD to enter K8L era in 2H 2007

HKEPC News is usually very correct. And HKEPC News has nothing to do with the truthness of the table in question. (Forget about useless discussion on K8L vs. K10.)

Actually, I have been very unimpressed with the HKEPC stuff...
For example, their roadmap for AMD's quad cores was not even in the ballpark, AMD has stated that Barcelona is K10 and not K8L (there is no K8L, it was coined by Charlie Demerjian), etc...

renethx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
OK, just forget about HKEPC News. That's not an important point.

So far there is no reasonable reason for claiming that the table is a fake, right?

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
its hand made by a user who is interested in k10...and he developed it from what he knows and reads...so its not a fake but its not official or anything. its just what u can imagine from the infos that are available on the net.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
OK, just forget about HKEPC News. That's not an important point.

So far there is no reasonable reason for claiming that the table is a fake, right?

As Bling says, it does look like a user's speculation. There are several problems with it that might not be problems...

1. The socket is AM2+, which is for HT 3.0...but I recall another poster putting forward the idea that AM2 won't be able to handle the new split voltage for Barcelona. By that I am talking about the new feature that adjusts voltage independently on each core. If that is the case, then maybe a "+" socket is indeed called for to take advantage of the feature.

2. All of the X2 and X4 chips are named for their clockspeed rather than their model number...I suppose that this is possible if AMD is completely redoing their marketing strategy (though I haven't heard anything about that possibility).

renethx

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Well, after reading this message (citing the Inquirer's article with the laughing smily) written by the same person as the table, I came to believe that it was a fake...but who knows?

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
no in that post he says that for the second time now the Inq would use one of his posts for a story and adds that this proves the lack of quality over at the Inq, hence the smilie.

oh, i thought u were referring to another forum...this guy is in many forums though and in one german forum he said just what i wrote above. the smilie in ur link may be a celebration of his 15minutes of fame i guess =D

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Well, after reading this message (citing the Inquirer's article with the laughing smily) written by the same person as the table, I came to believe that it was a fake...but who knows?

Wombat has been caught faking at least twice. There was one Inq article showing Barcelona benchmarks, including a CPU-Z screenshot. The author of CPU-Z even posted that the screenshot was fake because there was no such data that could be reported by CPU-Z.

This is why anyone who quotes the Inq should be dismissed out of hand immediatly and without question. The Inq is a known fraudulent source.

BlingBlingArsch

Golden Member
May 10, 2005
ohhh...phynaz -,- without peeps like wombat we would have no info at all. who cares if he posts somethin from his sources that turns out to be a fake. he posts alot of interesting info overall.

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Phynaz

Wombat has been caught faking at least twice. There was one Inq article showing Barcelona benchmarks, including a CPU-Z screenshot. The author of CPU-Z even posted that the screenshot was fake because there was no such data that could be reported by CPU-Z.

This is why anyone who quotes the Inq should be dismissed out of hand immediatly and without question. The Inq is a known fraudulent source.

Hardly the issue with the Inquirer is that they report everything but the kitchen sink, so the truth is mixed in with the non-truth, and it takes sometime to determine what is truth and what isn't.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: coldpower27

Hardly the issue with the Inquirer is that they report everything but the kitchen sink, so the truth is mixed in with the non-truth, and it takes sometime to determine what is truth and what isn't.

Agreed CP...dismissing the Inq out of hand is just as wrong as completely believing everything they write. The best thing is to do is look at the source they give...if it's one of their "anonymous sources", get the salt shaker out. But if they quote a specific source, you can base it on the veracity of that source.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

I disagree. "Reporting" everthing without verification of anything makes everything suspect. You can't be reputable some of the time. You either are or you aren't.

coldpower27

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004

I disagree. "Reporting" everthing without verification of anything makes everything suspect. You can't be reputable some of the time. You either are or you aren't.

This is exactly the same as grouping an entire group together based on the worse examples some of those individuals. It's like saying all straight males are bigoted toward gays.

Life I am afraid is not so black and white, there are shades of gray. And to be fair The Inquirer reports rumors which are themselves based on fact, sometimes the information gets twisted along the way, sometimes it make it unchanged. The Inquirer is what it is a rumor mill, and with those you tend to find a very wide spectrum of information. There is truth there mixed in with the non-truth.