Leadership in America

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome
In case anyone hasn't noticed I usually talk about larger trends over a longer period- sort of a Macro view. Concepts like "leadership", "Left", and "Right" are general terms... this isn't a science experiment, it's an analysis of abstract ideas and actions. So I'm not saying "these are SOLELY issues of the right." I'm saying "the Right in America has more effectively tapped into this vein." I'm not saying that the "left is UNILATERALLY the way you describe." I'm saying that the overall image leans a certain way.
No, I understand that, it's just that your generalizations don't seem accurate to me. How are you arriving at your generalizations? Personal observation? Or something more scientific? You claim to be analyzing these larger trends -- you must have some methodology for doing so, right?

13rian

Feb 26, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
In case anyone hasn't noticed I usually talk about larger trends over a longer period- sort of a Macro view. Concepts like "leadership", "Left", and "Right" are general terms... this isn't a science experiment, it's an analysis of abstract ideas and actions. So I'm not saying "these are SOLELY issues of the right." I'm saying "the Right in America has more effectively tapped into this vein." I'm not saying that the "left is UNILATERALLY the way you describe." I'm saying that the overall image leans a certain way.
No, I understand that, it's just that your generalizations don't seem accurate to me. How are you arriving at your generalizations? Personal observation? Or something more scientific? You claim to be analyzing these larger trends -- you must have some methodology for doing so, right?

I think based from his original post, the Dem's are analytical like scientists and Rep's are gung-ho (go with their gut instincts) like cowboys.

The cowboy mentality reminds me a lot with main characters in anime. They are never the smartest and basically always go with their gut for what they think is best (ex. Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: 13rian

I think based from his original post, the Dem's are analytical like scientists and Rep's are gung-ho (go with their gut instincts) like cowboys.

The cowboy mentality reminds me a lot with main characters in anime. They are never the smartest and basically always go with their gut for what they think is best (ex. Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

I am arriving at my generalizations through inductive and deductive reasoning based on common sense observations, experience, and readings.

If you're asking if I've done surveys, research, and experiments, than no I haven't done that.

Most of what I'm advancing is something that's generally accepted by many people, Left and Right. I know of Dems personally, I can name Dems in public, and it seems some Dems in here basically agree with the Left-Right leadership styles I've presented. Even you said earlier "Your assessment is spot on."

I think your problem comes when I then observe how the Right's style has been successful and the Left's style not as much. So maybe you can specifically point out the exact generalizations that you believe are inaccurate and we can discuss from there.