Lcd monitors bad for your eyes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
All I know is that I love my 2005fpw over my 22" CRT. Even though, it's smaller, it just seems easier on the eyes. What really pisses me off when I go to the computer lab and there are CRT at 60 Hz... I get a little dizzy looking at it.

Xyclone

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: neutralizer
All I know is that I love my 2005fpw over my 19" CRT. Even though, it's smaller, it just seems easier on the eyes. What really pisses me off when I go to the computer lab and there are CRT at 60 Hz... I get a little dizzy looking at it.

QFT, except for the bolded part.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: antillean
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
Yes, that's because they look like shit. Your eyes would rather produce cataracts protein than continue exposing themselves to poor contrast ratios and no color fidelity to speak of. Get yourself a good CRT and you should be fine.

CRT = fuzzy with age = eyestrain. I'll take my discreet pixels kthx! And color fidelity is fine with a S-PVA screen. As for contrast ratios, who sits there looking at a dark scene complaining about how blacks aren't black

Try playing a game like DOOM or STALKER on an LCD, and then a CRT, and you'll never want to play games on an LCD again.

I play them on my 47" 1080p LCD. How's it look on your 47" CRT? :p

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Mallarddrake44
she said her doctor told her this information. i was just wondering if it had any truth behind it, because she is known to tell a lie every now and then!

Women lie as a matter of course.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
actually, it's the other way around. CRT's fire particles directly at your eyes. LCD's on the other hand, have a backlight and each pixel block light and lets light of a certain color pass through meaning you get a picture from the photons rather then actual particles coming to your eyes.

anyway, modern LCD's can beat a CRT in almost all catagories. there's 120hz LCD TV's now, there's LCD's with insane response time as well as insane contrast ratios.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
actually, it's the other way around. CRT's fire particles directly at your eyes. LCD's on the other hand, have a backlight and each pixel block light and lets light of a certain color pass through meaning you get a picture from the photons rather then actual particles coming to your eyes.

anyway, modern LCD's can beat a CRT in almost all catagories. there's 120hz LCD TV's now, there's LCD's with insane response time as well as insane contrast ratios.

I think you just heard the term electron beam and got scared by it.
CRT fires light particles(photons) to your eyes in the same way an LCD, or any other source of light fires photons to your light.
The electron gun is only there to heat up the phosphor elements on the glass portion of the CRT screen. It isn't beaming electrons directly to your eyeballs.

There's still no modern LCD that has the deep black levels nor the contrast of a CRT.
Much closer than before? Yes. Match? No.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Well, I know the amount of time I spend on computers, between work and otherwise, is certainly unhealthy in many ways, including my vision.

Reading text at 1600x1200 for so long has indeed had an impact on me!

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ForumMaster

I think you just heard the term electron beam and got scared by it.
CRT fires light particles(photons) to your eyes in the same way an LCD, or any other source of light fires photons to your light.
The electron gun is only there to heat up the phosphor elements on the glass portion of the CRT screen. It isn't beaming electrons directly to your eyeballs.

There's still no modern LCD that has the deep black levels nor the contrast of a CRT.
Much closer than before? Yes. Match? No.

alright maybe. i just recall back in the day, having these filters that we'd put over crt's cause it was better for the eyes.

well then you can't deny (not implying that you did) that LCD's are better for the eyes cause they don't flicker. and why can't LED backlit LCD's match the black levels of a CRT? in an LED backilt LCD, the areas where black is needed simply isn't lit. there is no possible darker image. so why can't LCD's compete with CRT's?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Yes, that's because they look like shit. Your eyes would rather produce cataracts protein than continue exposing themselves to poor contrast ratios and no color fidelity to speak of. Get yourself a good CRT and you should be fine.

I have yet to see a CRT that produces a clearer picture than my lcd.

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Originally posted by: redly1
i heard from a not very good source that Lcd monitors cause cataracts? anybody have any comment or know any truth to this?

Hmmm, I see medical marijuana in my future

If you have cataracts, I don't think you'll see it at all.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Quasmo
i heard from a not very good source that Lcd monitors cause cataracts? anybody have any comment or know any truth to this?

Cataracts are easily fixed by modern medical science with lens replacement surgery. My dad had it done not long ago. It was quick and easy (local only and outpatient), relatively inexpensive, and he says his vision is better now than when he was young.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Quasmo

Cataracts are easily fixed by modern medical science with lens replacement surgery. My dad had it done not long ago. It was quick and easy (local only and outpatient), relatively inexpensive, and he says his vision is better now than when he was young.

mj only helps with glaucoma, not cataracts. Cataracts are when your lens gets cloudy...now you can get a replacement but it makes you farsighted.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

CRT = fuzzy with age = eyestrain. I'll take my discreet pixels kthx! And color fidelity is fine with a S-PVA screen. As for contrast ratios, who sits there looking at a dark scene complaining about how blacks aren't black

Try playing a game like DOOM or STALKER on an LCD, and then a CRT, and you'll never want to play games on an LCD again.

I play them on my 47" 1080p LCD. How's it look on your 47" CRT? :p

Stuff looks great on my 36" Wega CRT HDTV!
Just don't ask me to move it. Anywhere... Ever...
(Ok so it isn't quite as big... :()

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005

Nope, I'm pretty happy playing both on my widescreen 24" LCD. I hate CRTs now when I'm 'forced' to use them at school and occasionally at work. Nice that I didn't need a forklift to carry it on my desk too...