Lawn mowers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I kind of wish I'd explored cordless a little. It just never clicked in my head that I should look at them.
I'm happy with the Honda, though at full tilt it's a fast walk to keep up with it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I kind of wish I'd explored cordless a little. It just never clicked in my head that I should look at them.
I'm happy with the Honda, though at full tilt it's a fast walk to keep up with it.

The problem with cordless is that most are push mowers, not self-propelled...fsk that nonsense.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
That's the same mower that I got my dad a few years ago. It's a good mower. Set the rear wheels a half a click lower than the front wheels. The mower has front wheel adjustment for both wheels and the rear has an adjustment for both wheels. Not independent single wheel adjustment. I know, who cares but people complain.

Make sure to pull the spark plug if you are going to be under the mower deck for any period of time. Change the oil after the first couple of mowing sessions. Then forget about ever changing the oil again for a few years. Keep the original Honda mower oil can. It measures about about 12-13oz for the next oil change.

My dad is elderly. But he thinks he's hot shit since I bought him a Honda mower. The neighbors seem to admire all the yard tools I buy him. Before he didn't care but the Dewalt 20v pole saw and Ego 56V String trimmer get a lot of attention from the neighbors.

Mowers cut more efficiently and cleanly with the front slightly lower. I cut level, as I frequently re-adjust and its simpler to remember which lawn is a 4, which is a 5, etc. The only time I set the back lower is when using the mower as a leaf vac.

@Greenman can't you modify the ground speed with the thumb controls? Belt drive with a conical drive gear, I think that's how they achieve variable speed on that series.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Mowers cut more efficiently and cleanly with the front slightly lower. I cut level, as I frequently re-adjust and its simpler to remember which lawn is a 4, which is a 5, etc. The only time I set the back lower is when using the mower as a leaf vac.

@Greenman can't you modify the ground speed with the thumb controls? Belt drive with a conical drive gear, I think that's how they achieve variable speed on that series.

Give him a break...he's a carpenter, not an equipment operator. :p

• Haha
Reactions: Gardener

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
If it goes from stop to full speed immediately, the cable is too tight. You should be able to feather the thumb control to get the desired ground speed.

Back off the cable adjustment if it is going too fast. Then dial it in on level ground until you are happy with it. There will be some variance between going downhill and uphill, that is normal. I remember setting one up for a client and we decided to set the cable looser than even the OM recommendation so it would not run away from him.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It's variable speed, and it's smooth. I was just noting that it's top speed is pretty quick.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's variable speed, and it's smooth. I was just noting that it's top speed is pretty quick.

Yes it is. Does yours offer adjustment on the thumb-lever location? On mine, the mechanism "rotates" somewhat to make it easier to control.

Edit...yes it does...yellow device in the center of the speed control mechanism.

Last edited:

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006

I take it that you do/don't have Honda mowers. On the HRN/HRR model there is a problem when setting the wheels to the same level. You set the rear tire 1/2 setting lower than the front wheels to get an even cut. It's on the Honda forum. Here is one from reddit that the guy found on the Honda forum trying to pass it off as his own idea.

Is it common to set mower deck higher in front when cutting grass?

So I bought a Honda HRR216 last year and to my disappointment, the cut is not as good as I would expect from the it (lack of suction when mulching/bagging which leaves uncut grass blades).
At this time of the year (fall - 5b) I usually cut it at 3.5 ".
The other day I set the front wheels at 3.5" and the rear wheels lower to 3.0".
  • Front -> high
  • Rear - > low
I couldn't believe that the cut was so much better.
Is this a common practice?
To offset the cutting height for a better cut?

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
I have 3 commercial mowers, two hondas (HRC216 HXA K3, HRC215 SXA K1) and an old aluminum deck Toro Recycler.

Good place to start if you have cutting problems is to park your mower on a flat surface, and measure the blade height side to side and front to back, and shimming the engine mounting bolts to make everything level. If you are having cutting problems or bagging problems, slow your walking speed, cut more frequently, or set the blade higher. It is not uncommon this time of the year to make 2 passes for a clean cut, some folks prefer to do a back cut in worst case conditions, but generally folks make 2 passes in the same direction for the visual effect.

Sound like the folks in that reddit group are trying to correct for a mower that has a design flaw by lowering the the back wheels to effectively level the blade front to back. That's different than setting the blade up to cut lower in the back than in the front. Good luck.

Reactions: Sukhoi

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My goal is that most of the grass is shorter and the majority of it survives being mowed.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
The type of mower you run will, of course, depend on the acreage you're mowing.
My house in Texas has 1/8th acre. So back in 2010, when I bought the house, I also bought a Greenworks 40V push mower. Then a 40V string trimmer, then a 40V blower. The mower came with a 4A & 2A battery, the other two each came with a 4A battery. So long as the grass wasn't overgrown, or wet, the 4A batteries would last ~45 minutes, the 2A battery about 20 minutes or so. So even with me bagging the clippings (too many weeds, and too much thatch already in the lawn), I could easily do front and back yards, with all the batteries I had.
Greenworks has come a LONG way, since then, first upgrading to 60V, and now offering 80V mowers.....including ZTR's! Their latest offering currently on sale, runs ~$4000. But it's rated for 8 hours of mowing, and seems like it would be a great choice for anyone with a bigger lawn! And since most gas powered ZTR's run around the same amount, I'd say give it a chance. Greenworks warranty cannot be beat, either, and smokes the daylights out of any gas powered mower I've seen!

Oh yeah, and you won't appreciate quiet, until you've operated a battery powered mower. Think of an electric fan. Yeah, it's that quiet! Oh, and no more gas cans, or oil changes? Yes, please!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Drug the Honda mower out of the shed today. I put it away about the end of October or early November. Shut off the fuel valve, let it run itself out of gas ..I do that after every mow.
Added gasoline today, opened the fuel valve, waited a couple of minutes, put it in choke mode, fired first pull.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
My goal is that most of the grass is shorter and the majority of it survives being mowed.
My goal is to sit in the shade of the umbrella on the deck, sipping my iced tea, watching the lawn service guy sweat his ass off ;)

And, yea, I do that :)

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My goal is to sit in the shade of the umbrella on the deck, sipping my iced tea, watching the lawn service guy sweat his ass off ;)

And, yea, I do that :)
Not a bad plan, but a hassle because it would drive my three dogs crazy, and my wife needs the exercise.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11