Lawn Mower Recommendations?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
For one thing the hp ratings in the past were usually overblown. Also, they've had to deal with emissions issues as well. If these mowers aren't working for you then maybe you need to up your game to a professional grade model from your local power equipment dealer.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Interesting I find this thread as my second Craigslist Toro mower in four years engine blew up since it was burning oil. I must have bad luck with Toro's self propelled but they each only set me back a benjamin so it wasn't a big loss - considering how much they would charge me for mowing service ($80-$90ish a month). My first cheap Craftsman lasted 11 yrs and I rarely did anything with the oil. So I guess I'm on the market now for a nice 190cc unit with big rear wheel self propelled. Front wheel drive self propelled going up the hill is no bueno when grass is tall and thick. Bummer I can't really do riding mowers cause of the hills. The Troy-Bilt TB360 at Lowe's seems to fit the bill.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
considering how much they would charge me for mowing service ($80-$90ish a month)
Keep a few things in mind when debating on lawn service.
1. $80-90/mo is $40-45 per cut
2. What is your time worth?

Some people don't have much spare time and would rather pay $40 than go get gas, pay for gas, spend the hour+ to cut it, maintenance, cleanup, etc.

I still cut my own grass, but I am starting to think about paying someone next year.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I tried it for a couple months and didn't like it. They cut it at their own schedule so after a rain storm, they'd be backed up and my lawn might not get mowed until Monday or Tuesday and I get to spend the weekend with my overgrown lawn looking like crap all weekend. When I mow, I do it on my own schedule and I like to have a beer and bbq on Sat afternoon looking at a nicely cut lawn. Don't mind doing it too much, sadly it's the only exercise I really get since I sit on my butt working all week. In my old age, I find pulling weeds and gardening rather relaxing.
I'll have it done by someone else when I'm too old and can't do it anymore.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Those Honda HRR216 mowers are quite good. I've got a couple with 200-300 hours still running great, this would be equivalent of 10-15 years mowing one ordinary lawn.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I have about the same size lawn you do OP and I opted for a nice reel mower. I got tthis Fiskars with the grass catcher. Takes about 15 minutes to mow. The only downsize to reel mowers is you HAVE to keep up on mowing.

Sejal Roy

Oct 13, 2017
Every year Consumer Reports tests a new batch of gas and electric walk-behind mowers at its test lawn in Fort Myers, Fla. This year we bagged more than 5,000 pounds of grass clippings as part of that effort and discovered that not every lawn mower measures up to our cutting, mulching, and bagging tests. Though even the lowest-rated tractors and riders we tested performed passably, several walk-behind lawn mowers left ugly clumps in their wake and scored 50 or lower on CR's 100-point scale. Brands we tested include Ariens, Cub Cadet, EGO, Echo, Honda, and Toro.