Lawn Darts... Anyone play this "Death" game when you were young?

BeerGod

Banned
May 14, 2002
Hehe, I still chuckle at the thought of playing this game when I was young, chunking giant darts with metal tips into a ring...
and most of the time at eachother..

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Yes, and I still think its a crime that they outlawed those things.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
haha. i can honestly say i've never played lawndarts. have played capture the flag with bb' guns though

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Oh man, lawn darts, BB gun fights, bottle rocket fights, homemade pipe bombs......it's amazing I'm still alive with all limbs/fingers intact.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Oh man, lawn darts, BB gun fights, bottle rocket fights, homemade pipe bombs......it's amazing I'm still alive with all limbs/fingers intact.

hahahha. homemade pipebombs!!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I did a ring of fire once around someone with some lighter fluid. (it was indoors tho, so no grass was harmed).
BB guns rock, never fired one at a person before though.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec

ahhhh the good times... and yes I've played lawn darts... aka jarts :)

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
I did a ring of fire once around someone with some lighter fluid. (it was indoors tho, so no grass was harmed).
BB guns rock, never fired one at a person before though.

its all fun and games until somebody gets a BB in the ear.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rallispec

Hehe....yup. I had some older pyro neighbors that figured out how to make gunpowder. We'd make small bombs, hike waaaaay out in the sticks (this is rural MI remember) and use them to blow up stumps or dead trees. Great fun. :D

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000

Pipe bombs?! :Q

I wasn't quite as hard core as that. Instead I made "pen" bombs. You take the body of one of those white Bic pens, load them with explosive material, put in a long-ass wick, epoxy both ends... and, well... KA-BLOOM!

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
What sucks is that kids today cannot do these things :(
pfffft. Other than the lawn darts, they sure can. They just don't because they're too busy developing obesity, type-2 diabetes, and hypertension from a steady diet of PS2 and McDonalds. Kids just don't really play outside any more.

:disgust:

Instan00dles

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
What sucks is that kids today cannot do these things :(

Yea I know it sucks. When was little me and my friends would buy boxes of cheap model rockets and put engines in then. We modded a launch pad so we could hold it horizontaily and fire them at stuff it was great. BB gun wars were cool too, damm people taking away kids fun, I am sure they all did this when they were kids.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I used to love lawn darts. Of course, we rarely used them for their intended purpose, maybe that's why they were outlawed.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Damn, all I had was a modified BB gun that could shoot nails and bolts.
I never tried shooting nuts with it though! :D

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Kids might play outside more if they were allowed to do alot of the stuff thier parents/grandparents were allowed to do. Nowadays the rule is that if it's not padded you can't go near it.

"Go play outside"
"Mom, you won't let us go outside the yard because of cars, play baseball or soccer because of windows and lost balls, and we can't ride our bikes because all the helmet and padding makes it so we can't move. What the hell are we supposed to do?!"

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
Kids might play outside more if they were allowed to do alot of the stuff thier parents/grandparents were allowed to do. Nowadays the rule is that if it's not padded you can't go near it.

"Go play outside"
"Mom, you won't let us go outside the yard because of cars, play baseball or soccer because of windows and lost balls, and we can't ride our bikes because all the helmet and padding makes it so we can't move. What the hell are we supposed to do?!"

Actually, I'm pleased to see so many kids wearing helmets while riding bikes these days. I'm certainly not a fan of over-insulating kids from "harm", but taking a basic measure to prevent head injuries is a good thing. Hell, I'm 31 and you won't ever catch me not wearing a helmet.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Yeah, I had a friend stick one of those in their foot one time. Those things were great! Another favorite were the tennis ball cannons. Of course anything to do with fire, or that would explode, was always guaranteed fun. :)

I remember one time staying at my uncle's house, my cousin and I found a bunch of his old model airplanes he built as a kid. We strapped bottle rockets on those things and had a great time. Of course when our parents arrived back home, they weren't too pleased about it and my uncle nearly cried. Needless to say, I wasn't able to sit my butt down for about a week after that.

BigJohnKC

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
I so miss that stuff....blowing up small animals with firecrackers, seeing how fast we could get going on our mopeds, downhill, none of that padding stuff, just shorts, a t-shirt and sandals. :D Lawn darts were the best, too. ANd let's not forget those blow gun things with the real metal darts and the styrofoam target. I wonder if kids can still get those?

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Actually, I'm pleased to see so many kids wearing helmets while riding bikes these days.
I think here in Oregon, it's not just responsible...it's The Law! ;)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ObiDon
Actually, I'm pleased to see so many kids wearing helmets while riding bikes these days.

Anyone under age 13 is required to wear a helmet, yes. Atleast, IIRC it's 13...

nik

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ObiDon

It's officially a law here in GA as well if you're under 16. Mostly to give parents leverage to make the kids wear the helmets.