Lawmakers threaten "eminent" domain over producers House of Cards and set

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I get it. Even though Maryland is spending taxpayer money to support these millionaires, it's OK because we're sticking it to the man (California).
California will be OK because we are still attracting far more venture capital than any other state. There's a reason that Facebook and other companies make their headquarters here. It's called educated talent.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Nobody seems to want to discuss the state abusing eminent domain but instead ask why the state paid them in the first place. I find the state willing to use eminent domain to take property from anybody because of sour grapes ridiculous.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Nobody seems to want to discuss the state abusing eminent domain but instead ask why the state paid them in the first place. I find the state willing to use eminent domain to take property from anybody because of sour grapes ridiculous.

That's something I noticed. House of Cards got a break but MD want's to steal everything. Nothing about the latter.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

that i agree. ED should only be used in very rare cases.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I get it. Even though Maryland is spending taxpayer money to support these millionaires, it's OK because we're sticking it to the man (California).
California will be OK because we are still attracting far more venture capital than any other state. There's a reason that Facebook and other companies make their headquarters here. It's called educated talent.
^ Classic reason why you can't blame businesses for getting out of this state and away from complete morons like this.

Maryland isn't "spending" a dime.

Once more- the money is Netflix's.

You're probably too dumb to even know that Netflix doesn't HAVE to produce shows. They already have a business model, maybe you've heard of it if you ever get out of your haze of stupidity.

So liberals are so stuck on stupid, a company that doesn't even traditionally produce content decides "Hey, let's spend 100 million dollars making our own show. Who'll give us the best deal?" (Sure as hell not California with retards of this mindset running it.)

So a state that's smarter than Cali realizes "Hey, someone is going to spend $100- that OTHERWISE DOESN'T HAVE TO, it's a good idea to bring that money HERE, rather than let it go elsewhere." So they offer *GASP!!!!* an INCENTIVE for that.

The state that gives the best deal gets the 100 mill- oh wait, I'm sorry- the 74 million spent in their state. (You see statist morons, the other $26 million? It didn't come out of a state coffer like you morons believe- it was, is, always was NETFLIX's. They simply spent 74 mill rather than 100. The state profited. The people doing the 3k a week jobs working on the show profited. AND they'll pay taxes on that money.)

But I know, this is all voodoo witchcraft and *GASP* math stuff, and tracking that $26 mil is like some sort of unfair shell game to statist nitwits. "Where'd it go!?! Which shell is it under?! Where'd it go?"

If I were Netflix, I'd write this country off as too fucking stupid to produce their content in. Move 100% of the production elsewhere. People here are too fucking stupid for those jobs.

dali71

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2003
You would think they had learned their lesson about threatening eminent domain after losing the Baltimore Colts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts_relocation_to_Indianapolis

Meanwhile in Baltimore, the Maryland State Legislature became involved in the dispute. On March 27, 1984, the Maryland Senate passed legislation giving the city of Baltimore the right to seize ownership of the Colts by eminent domain[4] (An idea first floated in a memo written by Baltimore mayoral aide Mark Wasserman). Robert Irsay said that his move was "a direct result" of the eminent domain bill.[7] Chernoff would say of the move by the Maryland legislature: "They not only threw down the gauntlet, but they put a gun to his head and cocked it and asked, 'Want to see if it's loaded?' They forced him to make a decision that day."

TreVader

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2013
I don't understand why Maryland taxpayers signed up to pay $1M of their tax money per episode of House of Cards in the first place. I can't see how House of Cards can ever create enough jobs and taxes in Maryland to cover $1M per episode. I don't see what the compelling state interest in subsidizing film industry is. These are non-recurring temp jobs, if they spent that money subsidizing small business loans, they could at least create some lasting economic benefits with attachment to the community.

Exactly, they show up at a casting place, get given a number in line, and then get called on some low level part where they hope to make it big and become famous through their amazing take on how to be a realistic looking zombie.

They will earn some $100 and go home, come back many more times and get turned away. Everybody working on that set lives in NYC or LA, mostly LA. The only reason they're there is because the producers get a basically free set thank you maryland taxpayers.

You'd think this was corruption, fleecing the people like that. You'd think.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Tax breaks/credits happens all the time. Large companies actually pit states against each other for their business. Nothing new here. Eminent domain as retaliation is pretty nuts though.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Tax breaks/credits happens all the time. Large companies actually pit states against each other for their business. Nothing new here. Eminent domain as retaliation is pretty nuts though.
Don't waste your time trying to explain how business works to child-minded people that are so out of it they have no idea how anything works in the real world.

This current gen is a write-off. Companies should move the hell out of here and find people in this world that haven't been raised to be moronic imbeciles who put jealousy and stupidity first over common sense every time.

A company that doesn't have to hire *ANYONE* in production (because newsflash to the simple minds: they're NOT even a production company!) does so, creating all sorts of jobs that don't have to exist, and wouldn't exist except for the decision to create a show: and what do all the dumb assclowns do? Bitch, whine and moan over some bullshit like the fact that a state needs to offer an incentive for the production to take place in their state. Like anyone is picking up and going to bumfuck Maryland to produce a show "Just 'cuz."

When the population of a country literally gets this stupid, it should forfeit having businesses here. Dumb people would literally rather bitch and whine about McDonalds Jobs. People this dumb don't deserve any better, there's plenty of other people elsewhere in the world who've been dirt poor long enough, but are much better people, smarter, more hard working, and deserve a break over spoiled idiotic first-world dipshits.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Relax dipshit, no one *REALLY* gives a shit about what you have to say about anything- you never post *anything* that isn't two steps below worthless.

Now back down your rathole with you.

lol, I knew you'd wimp out. Pussy.

Try contributing to threads with firsthand knowledge instead of pretending you know what Netflix would or would not have done with their production based on state incentives (hint; they would have very likely spent the same money, as all state incentives are part of negotiations where people are posturing). So I'll challenge you right here and now to see if you've ever started one; what kinds of businesses were they and what's your real world private sector experience?

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
lol, I knew you'd wimp out. Pussy.

Try contributing to threads with firsthand knowledge instead of pretending you have any experience with business or starting a business. I'll challenge you right here and now to see if you've ever started one. So man up; what businesses have you started and what's your private sector experience?

LOL. You're such a dunce.

I own a small animation production company. We do surplus work for large studios. My client list is larger than your tally of sponging off your parents whose basement you probably live in.

Now back down your rathole with you once more! Swatting your lame ass back down is like playing leftloon smack-a-rat! *BAM!* back down you go!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
LOL. You're such a dunce.

I own a small animation production company. We do surplus work for large studios. My client list is larger than your tally of sponging off your parents whose basement you probably live in.

lol, so your small, failed animation company of one led you to believe that Netflix would assuredly spend less money if not given certain state tax breaks because your experience in dealing with state employees...wait what was your small business experience again in dealing with tax break negotiations? Your MediCal experience doesn't qualify.

Now back down your rathole with you once more! Swatting your lame ass back down is like playing leftloon smack-a-rat! *BAM!* back down you go!

Sadly it's oh so crystal clear you've never owned a business. Look at all the time and anger you put into posting. It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ LOL. So having shown yourself to be a complete moron who never has any clue even what the conversation is about, falling on your ass trying to call someone out like a loonbag, you flail around doubling down on stupidity, as always! Good show!

BAM! Back down with you!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
^ LOL. So having shown yourself to be a complete moron who never has any clue even what the conversation is about, falling on your ass trying to call someone out like a loonbag, you flail around doubling down on stupidity, as always! Good show!

BAM! Back down with you!

lol, what a wimp out. Never seen a "business owner" (your shitty one-person S-corp doesn't count) pussy out so quick.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
And of course he tripples down on stupid!

Stupid people like you First don't even deserve McDonalds jobs. There's a reason no one will hire you. One day you'll stop being so angry at all those "mean business owners" and realize why. Its not because they are mean, its because your stupid ilk with your mental-midget outlook on the world is 100% useless to them. You exist in an alternate universe of self-perpetuated ignorance that's 100% useless to anyone who is doing business in the real world. You playing your Xbox in mommy's basement thinking you know anything about how others should run businesses in the real world of which you know nothing about, is completely meaningless.

Back down your rathole, rat.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
lol, so your small, failed animation company of one led you to believe that Netflix would assuredly spend less money if not given certain state tax breaks because your experience in dealing with state employees...wait what was your small business experience again in dealing with tax break negotiations? Your MediCal experience doesn't qualify.

Sadly it's oh so crystal clear you've never owned a business. Look at all the time and anger you put into posting. It'd be funny if it weren't so sad.[/QUOTE]

You have more posts than him. :|

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
And of course he tripples down on stupid!

Stupid people like you First don't even deserve McDonalds jobs. There's a reason no one will hire you. One day you'll stop being so angry at all those "mean business owners" and realize why. Its not because they are mean, its because your stupid ilk with your mental-midget outlook on the world is 100% useless to them. You exist in an alternate universe of self-perpetuated ignorance that's 100% useless to anyone who is doing business in the real world. You playing your Xbox in mommy's basement thinking you know anything about how others should run businesses in the real world of which you know nothing about, is completely meaningless.

Back down your rathole, rat.

Meh, weak wimpout. 2/10.

Keep pretending your one-person Microsoft Paint "animation" business impresses anyone.

lulz

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000