Lawmaker calls Congress 'underpaid', objects to salary freeze

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think we need less representation. We have too many representatives. We need a new formula for representatives that reduces the total number below 200. I also think we only need one senator per state. I would also move the capital off the east coast to a more central location. That would cut travel expenses in half. Then we need to move a few of these departments to spread out the government to areas where there is a lower cost of living. There is no reason our entire government needs to be concentrated in a small area.

Being on the east coast also means it is more vulnerable to attack and hurricanes.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think 1st year representatives and senators should be paid a lower wage. Since they are the least effective they should be paid less and 2nd and 3rd terms and above should be paid more. Committee members/Chairs should also get something extra.

1 Term: $150K
2 Terms: $200k
3+ Terms: $250K

There is no reason we could not build a couple of hotels and give them a free apartment or condominium. The government has the power to confiscate land even in DC.

There are large Hotels in DC The government could lease space and for the Members or set up a Capital village down the road with a Private train that goes to DC.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
I agree. Government programs definitely make big corporations and very rich people dependent on the government. Farm subsidies for the big agribusinesses, tax breaks for Big Oil and the wealthy too numerous to mention, regulations that favor big pharma over imported drugs and on and on and on.

That's right. Run away like the coward you are. You completely misinterpreted my post.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No they don't.

Their "tax home" is in Washington DC and they can't deduct the cost of home back in their district.

Tax home means where your job is at.

Fern

Yes they can and they do!

I took the same deductions for years while serving in the US Navy on Boomer Submarines. My tax home was the Submarine as you correctly stated. We had two crews assigned, so when the other crew had the boat for about 6 months of the year I deducted my rent, car payments, food, utilities etc... as I was having to subsist away from my tax home.

Look up FBM Deduction. That is what we called it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1523131-fbm-boomer-deduction

http://supertaxgenius.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-boomer-deduction-worksheet.html

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
1452.jpg

When a Congressman Becomes a Lobbyist, He Gets a 1,452 Percent Raise (On Average)

No, he isn't nuts. He is just speaking the truth from his perspective. Because the fact is after he leaves Congress he will get a massive raise to become a lobbyist. He can even legally sign that contract while he is serving in Congress and keep it a secret.

And it doesn't matter whether the politician is a Republican or a Democrat.

Anyone that thinks the average Congressional Rep is loyal to their voters is naive. The facts show that they are not. What they are loyal to is money.

Uno

That and these guys are the ones perpetuating the system indefinitely ATM.

The enablers for future gains.