Law Lets I.R.S. Seize Accounts on Suspicion, No Crime Required

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
The ACLU needs to support one of these small-time business owners to take seizures like this to the Supreme Court. The 4th and 5th amendments are pretty clear on this, the wording isn't in any way strange or debatable like the 2nd:

<Snip>

These people have been deprived of their property, without due process of law. How is this even debatable?

Given how long this has been going on, I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
Why did past generations put their life savings in mattress, safes and empty jars?

They distrusted the government.

Well, there was also no FDIC Insurance for your funds. When the banks crashed in the 20's, people lost their money. Today, your savings are insured.

- Merg

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
lol civil forfeiture again....

thank you patriot act.

we're gonna stop those terrists...

I'm just glad the Dems are on their way out this election. Once that happens the GoP will repeal this patriot act nonsense Obama is always signing off on and we can finally get back to some normalcy.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'll bet used car salesmen don't have this problem
I bet they could if they deposit a lot of cash. They could just pocket it and I would encourage them to do so. Too bad my software is desitgned to prevent employees from stealing from the company which keeps me from avoiding income tax.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I'm just glad the Dems are on their way out this election. Once that happens the GoP will repeal this patriot act nonsense Obama is always signing off on and we can finally get back to some normalcy.

I would like to think so... but as I sad earlier... this is a cash cow for police departments and other agencies. Free money. What politician D or R would try to touch this?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
why aren't agencies taxed on the funds and property they seize?

they are treating it as additional income above and beyond of what they are given by the people to operate, so it should be taxed.

Last edited:

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

I sure hope you're being sarcastic; if not, you're going to be bitterly disappointed.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
ok so dont they have to declare it to the state and feds?

Truthfully, I'm not 100% certain. I do know that when a local law-enforcement agency seizes money that it does not all go to them. Depending on the type of seizure, some of it goes to the state as well as to the federal government. If they seized property, it is normally auctioned off and once again the proceeds are to divvied up between local, state, and federal government.

Since they are a government agency, I would think that they do not actually pay taxes.

- Merg

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What I don't understand about this SSgt is he was being paid electronically. So, he withdrew cash over a period of time, and then, upon the 'advice' of a bank teller, put it back into an account using an amount to avoid paperwork?

He wanted to "avoid paying taxes on it"? Since when does one pay taxes on deposits? He might possibly be worried about being audited for suspected unreported income, if they actually thought that.

I am going to bet it was the banks that reported this activity in the first place. "Person x deposits Y amount of cash every <time period>. Please investigate."

And then he settles for $21K. He should have had the paperwork to get all $66K back.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
not one american who isn't part of the senate or congress voted on the patriot act.

it was passed out of fear mongering by a president that was retarded.

hey i heard they finally found wmd's in iraq... too bad they were the ones the americans sold them during the iraq-iran war...

I see that you haven't got a dog in the fight but regardless I will tell you that nothing has changed with a Democrat in the highest office in the land and nothing changed when Democrats controlled Congress in Obama's first term.

This continual blaming of previous Presidents accomplishes nothing, zip, nada, zilch. We cannot change the past but at any given moment the future is always before us and that is where changes will be made if they are made at all.

But by all means rail on about Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Reagan and everyone else you wish to blame for whatever it is you feel needs to have blame distributed. It's all meaningless.

Boomerang, but Bush wrote and drafted the bill all by himself so he is solely to blame /sarcasm.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Given that the Feds or police will "negotiate" with affected parties to give some of the money back rather than fight it in court means this is extortion and theft pure and simple and they know it.

If this program was truly legitimate, anyone found not guilty of wrongdoing would immediately get 100% of their funds returned. There would also be a clearly laid out appeal process to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

But, nope. Government HERP DERP! Thanks for the monies citizens!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If x party does some stupid shit and then y party gets control and doesn't change the stupid shit x party did, then y party is to blame. I can't make it much simpler.

Except that the Y party isn't really in control at all, nor have they been other than a few months in 2009 before Ted Kennedy died.

And then there's the whole thing about the party of No...

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Given that the Feds or police will "negotiate" with affected parties to give some of the money back rather than fight it in court means this is extortion and theft pure and simple and they know it.

If this program was truly legitimate, anyone found not guilty of wrongdoing would immediately get 100% of their funds returned. There would also be a clearly laid out appeal process to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

But, nope. Government HERP DERP! Thanks for the monies citizens!
That's the part that infuriates me. This is such an obvious money grab it's not even funny.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Except that the Y party isn't really in control at all, nor have they been other than a few months in 2009 before Ted Kennedy died.

And then there's the whole thing about the party of No...
By that "standard" the GOP has never been in control.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Why did past generations put their life savings in mattress, safes and empty jars?

They distrusted the government.

They distrusted banks. When the markets crashed the banks failed as well... People couldn't get their cash out of banks that did survive. That is what led to the FDIC insurance on savings.

EDIT... Someone already caught that for you... sorry.

Last edited: