law bans cash transactions for secondhand goods.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Cold hard cash. It's good everywhere you go, right? You can use it to pay for anything.
But that's not the case here in Louisiana now. It's a law that was passed during this year's busy legislative session.
House bill 195 basically says those who buy and sell second hand goods cannot use cash to make those transactions, and it flew so far under the radar most businesses don't even know about it.
"We're gonna lose a lot of business," says Danny Guidry, who owns the Pioneer Trading Post in Lafayette. He deals in buying and selling unique second hand items.
"We don't want this cash transaction to be taken away from us. It's an everyday transaction," Guidry explains.
Guidry says, "I think everyone in this business once they find out about it. They're will definitely be a lot of uproar."
The law states those who buy or sell second hand goods are prohibited from using cash. State representative Rickey Hardy co-authored the bill.
Hardy says, "they give a check or a cashiers money order, or electronic one of those three mechanisms is used."
Hardy says the bill is targeted at criminals who steal anything from copper to televisions, and sell them for a quick buck. Having a paper trail will make it easier for law enforcement.
"It's a mechanism to be used so the police department has something to go on and have a lead," explains Hardy.
Guidry feels his store shouldn't have to change it's ways of doing business, because he may possibly buy or sell stolen goods. Something he says has happened once in his eight years.
"We are being targeted for something we shouldn't be."
Besides non-profit resellers like Goodwill, and garage sales, the language of the bill encompasses stores like the Pioneer Trading Post and flea markets.
Lawyer Thad Ackel Jr. feels the passage of this bill begins a slippery slope for economic freedom in the state.
"The government is placing a significant restriction on individuals transacting in their own private property," says Ackel.
Pawn shops have been forced to keep records of their clients for years. However under this bill they are still allowed to deal in cash.

http://www.klfy.com/story/15717759/second-hand-dealer-law

Last edited by a moderator:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Now opening for business! lxskllr's house of antiques, and prepaid Visa cards ;^)

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
that blows! this comes right as CC companies and banks are charging more and more fees. Some people ONLY HAVE CASH.... that is going to HURT a lot of businesses big time. . . no more garage sales!

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
If it doesn't affect pawn shops what's the point? That's where most of the stolen goods will go. If they're trying to say that the practice of keeping client's records for years is enough for pawn shop, why isn't it enough for stores like the trading post?

Oh, and I live in louisiana.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Isn't that against the law or something? It's against the law for a business to NOT accept legal tender; how is NOT ALLOWING it better?

Stupid people.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
I understand how it might help them track criminals.. but it's fucking stupid.

I see it almost like DRM anyway. It's going to punish legit users and the criminals will just find a way to get around it.

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Your number tattoo is next. Be afraid.

Doesn't look like it's passed the senate. Bet it's d.o.a.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
How about a law that says these business owners will be prosecuted for buying 25 brass fire hydrant caps from Joe Dirtbag?

Let me get this straight. They couldn't find a way to get this wrapped into some homeland security law that's already in place (which are already being abused), so they made a new law that seems to be WAY out of line? I understand the crack head petty thief they are going after, but this is really going to be hard on the people that are already struggling. Total BS law IMHO.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
So basically any cash deposit means you're breaking the law. Either you're getting paid in cash, or you sold something for cash.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Considering that CASH is a government tool in the first place I don't see how this is a problem with government restricting usage of their own tool.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
From the link:

Hardy says, "they give a check or a cashiers money order, or electronic one of those three mechanisms is used."

Hardy says the bill is targeted at criminals who steal anything from copper to televisions, and sell them for a quick buck. Having a paper trail will make it easier for law enforcement.

"It's a mechanism to be used so the police department has something to go on and have a lead," explains Hardy.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
How about a law that says these business owners will be prosecuted for buying 25 brass fire hydrant caps from Joe Dirtbag?

Let me get this straight. They couldn't find a way to get this wrapped into some homeland security law that's already in place (which are already being abused), so they made a new law that seems to be WAY out of line? I understand the crack head petty thief they are going after, but this is really going to be hard on the people that are already struggling. Total BS law IMHO.
They can say what they want but it's about tax revenues on all cash transactions.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Legislators can pass any law they want. It's then up to the courts to establish constitutionality.
Yep. I propose a state constitutional amendment that holds individual legislators personally liable for all damages and all costs to a state for implementing and legally defending any law the legislator voted for that is found to be unconstitutional. Until legislators are held personally accountable they will continue to use lawmaking for grandstanding bullshit.