Laura Bush praises Hillary

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Text

"(CNN) ? First Lady Laura Bush said Monday that as a veteran of the rigors of the campaign trail herself, she "admired Hillary's grit and strength."

"I know what it?s like to run those campaigns, to be the candidate and how very difficult it is both emotionally and physically,? Bush told ABC News. ?It's a huge endurance, process of endurance, and so I'll have to say I have a lot of admiration for her endurance and strength."

"I know it's hard," Mrs. Bush said, "It's hard to do that and I think she did great.""

Am I missing something? When the heck did Laura Bush run a national campaign?

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, you are missing something. It's called "class", or that which Laura Bush demonstrated in her remarks.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Meh, sounds like Laura trying to sooth the Clinton supporters feelings over the primary loss. She's recruiting them to the dark side. :p

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Perknose
Yes, you are missing something. It's called "class", or that which Laura Bush demonstrated in her remarks.

? K, thanks for the unprovoked bitchy statement. I didn't rip on Laura Bush, I just don't understand where the experience she's claiming comes from.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: johnjohn320

? K, thanks for the unprovoked bitchy statement. I didn't rip on Laura Bush, I just don't understand where the experience she's claiming comes from.

I don't know, maybe she knows someone who ran for President and experienced it from that perspective... but who on Earth would she know who would run for President? No, I just can't put my finger on it...

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
Meh, sounds like Laura trying to sooth the Clinton supporters feelings over the primary loss. She's recruiting them to the dark side. :p

Sounds like it. :D

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I'm no fan of Hillary, but I seriously doubt Laura Bush could run a lawnmower, let alone a competitive presidential campaign. Pretending otherwise is hardly a display of class.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

well, I give her credit for having to put up with a retard and go down in history as the WORST president ever...

I wonder if she would have said the same thing if she had won?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

I don't know, maybe she knows someone who ran for President and experienced it from that perspective... but who on Earth would she know who would run for President? No, I just can't put my finger on it...

Ah, that's it! I totally forgot she was the first lady! That's right! Her husband's president and it completely slipped my mind. I wasn't at all referring to the fact that she claimed to "have run those campaigns." Not the fact that she claimed to have been "the candidate". That couldn't have been what I was getting at. Nope, you solved it.

Thanks, bud.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ericlp

well, I give her credit for having to put up with a retard and go down in history as the WORST president ever...

That line made me LOL. :laugh:

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
I wasn't at all referring to the fact that she claimed to "have run those campaigns." Not the fact that she claimed to have been "the candidate".

"I know what it?s like to run those campaigns" != "I have run those campaigns"

From the begining it's been clear that you are equating the two statements and that's not necessarily valid.

It is possible to believe you know what something's like without actually doing it. This forum is full of people who daily demonstrate such a conviction.

Otherwise, as Perknose implies you're missing the point. L. Bush is not making that statement in an effort at self-aggrandization, rather she was emphasizing the compliment directed at Hillary.

Cliffs: You're nitpicking.

Fern

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
I wasn't at all referring to the fact that she claimed to "have run those campaigns." Not the fact that she claimed to have been "the candidate".

From the begining it's been clear that you are equating the two statements and that's not necessarily valid.

It is possible to believe you know what something's like without actually doing it. This forum is full of people who daily demonstrate such a conviction.

Otherwise, as Perknose implies you're missing the point. L. Bush is not making that statement in an effort at self-aggrandization, rather she was emphasizing the compliment directed at Hillary.

Fern

That's probably fair to say, I guess I am nitpicking. I just can't help but take exception with this "I know what it's like because someone I know did it." It'd be like me saying I know what it's like to serve in the Navy because my Dad did. It's particularly noticeable when coming from a first lady who has been so largely invisible during the last 8 years.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-

Fern

That's probably fair to say, I guess I am nitpicking. I just can't help but take exception with this "I know what it's like because someone I know did it." It'd be like me saying I know what it's like to serve in the Navy because my Dad did. It's particularly noticeable when coming from a first lady who has been so largely invisible during the last 8 years.

I think I'd give Laura Bush shit too if she said she knew what running a campaign was like because her dad did it. But come on, it was her husband. If she had no idea what running a campaign was like despite the fact that her husband had done it while they were married, I'd say she was a bit of an inattentive retard. It's the closest person in your life; of course spouses are going to have an idea of what it's like to run the campaign.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ericlp

Funny, that was what was said about Andy Johnson and Hoover.

Have faith, there are plenty of others in the pipeline.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nitpicking would be one way to put it Fern, to sort of take the edge off. Lame or dense might be a couple of others.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Classy statement, although I suspect Laura (and her mother in law) would both have been making far different public statements (about the role of the First Lady) if Hillary had suceeded in getting the nomination.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
[Laura] Bush also defended Michelle Obama over a controversial comment that drew criticism from many conservative pundits ? but offered caution for the wife of presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said Laura Bush Monday, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you?re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

http://politicalticker.blogs.c...ce-for-michelle-obama/