'Latest Windows 10 Update Leads to High CPU Usage' Tom's Hardware

UsandThem

Super Moderator
May 4, 2000
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-update-causes-high-cpu-usage,40290.html
Windows Latest said that numerous people have complained about high CPU usage problems after installing the update, however, purportedly because of an issue with Cortana. The virtual assistant's SearchUI.exe process has reportedly used 30-40% of the CPU as well as 150-200MB of memory since the installation of the KB4512941 update. But those resources are being totally wasted--the Cortana window opened from the Taskbar fails to load.

It's not clear why Cortana decided to be a processor hog with the KB4512941 update. What is clear, however, was the fact that members of the Windows Insider Program reported these problems to Microsoft via the Feedback Hub before the update was made available to the public. Those reports appear to have slipped through the cracks; now people who install the optional update are sacrificing a significant portion of their CPU to Cortana.
Users not experiencing any issues at the moment with Windows 10 might want to hold off installing the optional KB4512941 (August 30th) update until Microsoft fixes the issue.

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Could this update, explain why, on a Kaby Lake G4560 PC with 16GB of DDR4, that was both recently upgraded to 1903 via Windows Update, as well as blowing that away (deleting all partitions) and re-installing 1903 from a freshly-made USB stick (MCT), in both cases, WinKey+S, brings up the Search dialog from the Start Menu/TaskBar, but when I type "Control Panel" or "Power Plan" - it remains fully blank!

I have installed Shutup10, but I think that it was doing it before that. Certainly, I've installed quite a few machines (though, not in the last 2-3 weeks), including 1903 upgrades as well as fresh installations, and this hasn't happened, and I install Shutup10 as a matter of course, and that hasn't been updated in a month or two (same version number on the download page for the last few months).

So this seems to be something that MS has done.

Now, I recall reading that they've separated the Start Menu (Search too?), into a separate process from the desktop Explorer.exe shell, or something along those lines. I wonder if that has something to do with it too.

Either way, it's really annoying.

(*I found that you can get to Control Panel, via opening an Explorer window, and then at the top bar, type "Control Panel".)

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Reactions: DooKey and RLGL

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just updated my main rig last night, and this morning, after a machine-level reboot (some sort of hardware glitch), my Windows Search bar is no longer functional. :(

Just like the other machine that I recently re-installed from scratch, after doing a Windows Update to 1903 and then further Windows Updates to get it up-to-date.

Bad update, killing Windows Search? I do have Cortana disabled, using Shutup10.

Could MS be changing things behind-the-scenes, to kill your Windows Search feature, if you kill Cortana? That's pretty low of them.

This was installed on 9/10. I just uninstalled it, and voila! My Search Bar is back!

Last edited:

quikah

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Just updated my main rig last night, and this morning, after a machine-level reboot (some sort of hardware glitch), my Windows Search bar is no longer functional. :(

Just like the other machine that I recently re-installed from scratch, after doing a Windows Update to 1903 and then further Windows Updates to get it up-to-date.

Bad update, killing Windows Search? I do have Cortana disabled, using Shutup10.

Could MS be changing things behind-the-scenes, to kill your Windows Search feature, if you kill Cortana? That's pretty low of them.
/shrug, when you mess with the registry you should expect to possibly have bad results when doing updates. Best to undo any registry changes, update, then reapply registry changes.

Ajay

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Ugh, I just decided that I'm going to do a clean install (keeping files and settings) to 1903 since updates keep failing due to an unknown driver issue. This is what I have to look forward to? :p

ASK THE COMMUNITY