Latest polls look surprisigly good for Obama

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Hillary voted for the Iraq war--a fatal flaw for me.

um, I hope you morons realise you can't just pull out of Iraq then pretend not to notice when the region erupts in some fvcked up civil strife. Someone is going to have to clean up the mess Dumbya left behind.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: aidanjm
Obama has no history with 99% of voters, so it is easy for them to look on him favorably right now. See what happens after the mud-raking begins.

Are the American people stupid enough to elect someone with zero foreign policy experience, in a time when they need that experience in a leader more than ever? I guess you guys voted for Dumbya, so we already know the answer.

Experience really doesn't mean sh!t. You've already pointed out Bush as an example. Obama is a good speaker that gets people to listen. That's a lot more than can be said for half the retards we have in Congress.

As for foreign policy, he has made several trips to foreign countries speaking on various issues.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Lemon law

Much of Obama's appeal is that he does not try to oversimplify or polarize issues. It's refreshing to see a politician treating voters like thinking adults instead of masses to be manipulated.

(paraphrase) It's not experience, but rather it's character every time that is the determining factor in how good of a president a given candidate will make.

Based on these, Obama would make a great presidential candidate (and a great president IMHO).

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

What population explosion are you talking about? The only one that really comes to mind is Africa which we don't exactly have control over. While it isn't the lowest at 0.91%/yr, I wouldn't call it an explosion.

The one right here in the United States. For more information, you should visit http://www.NumbersUSA.com

In the 10 years between 1990 and 2000, according to Census Bureau information, the United States suffered a huge population increase of 32.7 million people (not counting illegal aliens, but possibly counting anchor babies).

The U.S. now has the third largest population in the world, behind those of India and China, and by 2050 the population will probably be near or above 500 million. Today we're at about 300 million (not counting illegal aliens) and in 1970, just 36 years ago, the population was about 203 million. I'd call that 50% increase in population over 36 years a "population explosion".

Exactly where all of the (livable) land for homes, the food, the potable water, the clean air, the open spaces, and the natural resources are supposed to come from to maintain such a huge population as a middle class population (as opposed to abject poverty ala India and rural China) is supposed to come from, I don't know.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
here are the latest polling

Hillary is leading in all the early contests according to these polls. This is probably all based on name recognition as Lieberman was leading nationally a couple of years out in 2002. Hillary hasn't even gone to any of these states yet. Still, you can argue that Hillary has a base of support around 30-35% of the primary voters. In a crowded field, the rest of the candidates split the vote and Hillary will win. Gore could probably run as the alternative to Hillary and ironically be the outsider candidate but I am not sure he will run.

I am very impressed with Obama's ideas but I will need to hear more from him in the future.
I am slightly surprised and turned off by the fact that Obama is a smoker.

OurasBob

Oct 28, 2006
Are the American people stupid enough to elect someone with zero foreign policy experience, in a time when they need that experience in a leader more than ever?

Yes, that's exactly what we need; another "experienced foreign policy" leader who will do things the way things have always been done, and continue our decade spanning tradition of clumsy diplomacy, shoddy nation building, and foolish wars.

These "experienced" leaders and advisors are the problem. They know it all. Except reality refuses to conform to their ideals, and instead of pausing for a moment of critical thought to revise their approach, they insist that it is reality that needs to do the bending.

I offer the American economy, the impending American energy crisis, the American health care system, and the big mess in Iraq as evidence that reality is completely unsympathetic to the way "experienced" American politicians want things to work.

From what I have read so far, Obama strikes me as a man who thinks about the consequences of his decisions, and doesn't automatically do things the way they have always been done. I believe that our years under Bush have demonstrated that quick decisions fueled by emotion and gut reaction have the potential to be expensive not only in time and money, but in human life. On that level, where even the minute decisions can have consequences measured in decades, trillions of dollars, and thousands of lives, we need a thinking man making those decisions.

I'm still not sure Obama is that man, but I believe he shows promise. If his views, policies, and character bear out through the Democratic primaries, I'll come back from the Libertarians to vote for him in 08.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Given Obama or Hillary, I would probably not vote for either one. So I dont much care for one or the other.

What I want to say is that neither one has the experience to qualify them to lead the country. Also the Primary Elections have not been held yet, so dont get too excited until the primary elections get under way. The primary elections have a way of separating the wheat from the chaff. Also Hillary has a lot of skeletons in her closet. Like how long was she in possession of the Rose Law Firm Records, and is she guilty of obstructing justice? The fact that she is or was a Lawyer and that she was involved with a law firm that basically stole people's money, in my mind, makes her totally unfit for office. Just because some idiots in New York voted for her, mean nothing. I think she is unellectable as a President.

We have had enough Lawyers!

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: chowderhead
here are the latest polling

Hillary is leading in all the early contests according to these polls. This is probably all based on name recognition as Lieberman was leading nationally a couple of years out in 2002. Hillary hasn't even gone to any of these states yet. Still, you can argue that Hillary has a base of support around 30-35% of the primary voters. In a crowded field, the rest of the candidates split the vote and Hillary will win. Gore could probably run as the alternative to Hillary and ironically be the outsider candidate but I am not sure he will run.

I am very impressed with Obama's ideas but I will need to hear more from him in the future.
I am slightly surprised and turned off by the fact that Obama is a smoker.

Wow... Not to derail my own thread but did you look at the numbers on the Republican side?
Iowa: Giuliani 28%, McCain 26%, Gingrich 18%
Nevada: Giuliani 31%, McCain 25%, Gingrich 22%
South Carolina: McCain 35%, Giuliani 28%, Gingrich 15%
New Hampshire: McCain 29%, Giuliani 25%, Gingirch 14%
Guiliani/McCain with Gingrich a close third. It's still a long way to go yet and not all the candidates have announced their intentions to run but it's interesting to see those two in front. It's even more interesting to see Newt doing so well.

It's been said many times that the Rs would never run Guiliani because of his pro-abortion stance and his personal life. But the numbers for Guiliani almost smack of an "I don't think he can win but I'm voting for him anyway" sentiment. I guess you could say the same thing about McCain. Then again, they are the only guys running right now. Gonna be fun to watch.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama is my man. His name is perfect. It expresses his spiritual power and is a name of the 'enemy'. How great is America that it's President has a Muslim name. Only in the greatness of America could such a thing happen. His name alone is a weapon that slays Islamic radicalism. It will express our inclusive greatness. His blackness will do the same in other spheres. We will go from clown to a man of greatness. God is a miracle.

What the....

Hahaha I literally said the same thing out loud, but then I realized Moonbeam found a computer again.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: techs
Obama is the flavor of the month. He is benefitting from going around and mouthing platitudes. Once the press and public start looking deeper and he has to tell the public his actual plans and policies you can expect his numbers to start coming down. Way down.

Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Oh really. Thanks for that definitive pronouncement. I'll be sure and bank on it. :roll:

techs has it right. At some point specifics will be neccessary, and you can't "win 'em all".

No matter whether he tries to go "mushy" (triangulation), flip floppy (ala Kerry) or or takes clear and decisive stands, he's going to lose/alienante some voters. It's just the eway it is in the USA.

I now feel John Edwards will come out ahead of Obama & Hillary. I wouldn't be surprised if Edwards is already planning to manouver Obama into position as his VP. Edwards can be sooo much "smoother" than Hillary. I can see Edwards actually making being his VP candidate appealing. Can't see Hillary pulling that off.

If Edwards & Obama team up ("Dynamic Duo"), they'll win the general election.

Fern

boredhokie

May 7, 2005
Has Barack done anything? He just seems like a political version of a Zune or iPod or something. I suppose Murtha would be cool as president; someone that's not a draft dodger like Bush or Clinton and actually can stand up for himself. I would say McCain would be a good contender too but he's turned into a real pussy lately.