Latest polls look surprisigly good for Obama

Jun 27, 2005
Link
Two weeks after speaking to a sell-out Manchester crowd of more than 1,600, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama is reaping the benefits of his visit. If the Democratic primary were held today, Obama would be in a statistical dead heat with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, according to a new Monitor poll. Last month, a Monitor poll showed Clinton trouncing her opponents, with Obama lagging 23 points behind.
Although Clinton commands considerable support among likely Democratic primary voters, she struggles in general election match-ups, according to the poll. If the contest were held today, both Arizona Sen. John McCain and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani would prevail over Clinton. Obama, in contrast, would eke out a slight win over both Republican candidates. Former Democratic vice presidential nominee John Edwards is neck-and-neck with the Republicans.

It looks even better in Iowa...
Link
The poll consisted of telephone interviews of 600 likely Iowa voters and has a margin of error of no more than plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Caucus Outlook
The poll asked Iowa Democrats which candidates they would vote for if the 2008 Democratic caucus were held today.

The top three candidates were Sen. John Edwards at 22 percent, Democratic U.S. Sen. Barrack Obama at 22 percent and Vilsack at 12 percent. U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton of New York came in fourth at 10 percent.

KCCI political analyst Dennis Goldford said that Edwards left himself well-positioned from the caucuses.

"Barrack Obama is the rock star of the moment. What's interesting is Vilsack is ahead of Hillary Clinton in Iowa," he said.
Still a LOOOOOONNNGGG way to go for everyone... But it's amazing to see how fast Obama has moved up the ranks. It's also interesting to see how Hill has done little to advance her position in the race.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Obama is the flavor of the month. He is benefitting from going around and mouthing platitudes. Once the press and public start looking deeper and he has to tell the public his actual plans and policies you can expect his numbers to start coming down. Way down.

operaman1

Mar 21, 2004
Democrats better pray for Obama or some moderate. I would sooner poor gasoline on myself than vote for Hillary. It would be akin to voting for say Rush Limbaugh as the Republican.

She is way too polarizing, and way to the Left despite her manufactured "moderate voting."

Obama is a Democrat I would vote for myself. He is articulate, thoughtful, not knee-deep into the political machine, and would provide America with a credible leader that Hillary or any Republican on the horizon simply is incapable of being.

This of course means posters on this board MUST be pro-Hillary and somehow Obama is secretly a Right-Wing thug or something right? Especially since a conservative such as myself would seriously consider voting for him. God forbid we elect someone who is for the majority of America who thinks the Liberal Democrats and Right Wing Republicans should be taken out and shot. God forbid we elect someone on real ISSUES rather than on all the divisive issues.

The majority of America is fiscally conservative and morally fairly liberal. Where the hell is the candidate that is pro-choice, anti tax the hell out of the rich, and owe everyone all there money, and also believe in trying to establish bypartisan support in order to do good for the people who hired them: We the people of this nation? I have been waiting now for 4 Presidential Elections. I have yet to see a decent Republican or Democrat yet. So of course, the second I start looking at Obama the lefty freaks will kick him to the curb for someone more "suitable."

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Hillary made the mistake of continually supporting the Iraq war. Obama lacks the experience needed for the position, although he would probably be a good VP candidate on a ticket with someone who is actually electable. That list isn't very long with Edwards and possibly Gore.

operaman1

Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: conehead433
Hillary made the mistake of continually supporting the Iraq war. Obama lacks the experience needed for the position, although he would probably be a good VP candidate on a ticket with someone who is actually electable. That list isn't very long with Edwards and possibly Gore.

Before Clinton was president how much experience did he have? Not much. Obama is the only candidate that makes me pause before voting for whomever the Libertarian candidate is...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Obama is the flavor of the month. He is benefitting from going around and mouthing platitudes. Once the press and public start looking deeper and he has to tell the public his actual plans and policies you can expect his numbers to start coming down. Way down.

+1

Also, he is far too new. Besides, I doubt he would make it through primaries. Just my opinion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obama is my man. His name is perfect. It expresses his spiritual power and is a name of the 'enemy'. How great is America that it's President has a Muslim name. Only in the greatness of America could such a thing happen. His name alone is a weapon that slays Islamic radicalism. It will express our inclusive greatness. His blackness will do the same in other spheres. We will go from clown to a man of greatness. God is a miracle.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama is my man. His name is perfect. It expresses his spiritual power and is a name of the 'enemy'. How great is America that it's President has a Muslim name. Only in the greatness of America could such a thing happen. His name alone is a weapon that slays Islamic radicalism. It will express our inclusive greatness. His blackness will do the same in other spheres. We will go from clown to a man of greatness. God is a miracle.

What the....

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003

so true!

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
The question now is whether he will be able to capitalize on his momentum or just blow it out of his ass like Howard Dean did.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: operaman1

Before Clinton was president how much experience did he have? Not much. Obama is the only candidate that makes me pause before voting for whomever the Libertarian candidate is...

I was going to state something along the same lines of what you did. Other than a sitting President running for re-election....how much experience does any man/woman have being president?

After what Bush did with no experience and an extreme pro-right (read Fundie ass-kisser) mindset, I would like to see someone that isn't jaded or chained to the system that seems to be closer to the center.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I very much agree that Obama right now has not done much to commit himself to issue---and now is somewhat like a beauty contest contestant----damn she sure looks pretty---but the real question becomes--if you marry her---can you live with the women?

But much of Obama's appeal is that he does not try to oversimplify or polarize issues---and its refreshing to see a politician treating voters like thinking adults instead of masses to be manipulated.----but we will see how things go in the long run up to 08.---as all fellow candidates try to knife the front runner in the back.

But I don't think Hillary will win the nomination----two reasons---(1) too many negatives---many people just hate her with a passion---although to me she is just another politician. (2) Hillary voted for the Iraq war--a fatal flaw for me.

But if you look at American history---many people with little political experience made fine Presidents---and experience is a poor predictor either way.---its character every time that is the determining factor.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Drinking my ciffee and reading the funny papers....
I always look for your posts so I can have a good laugh before I start my day...

Actually OBAMA will win hands down if it`s OBAMA versus HILLARY, no contest!!

Hillary is nothing more than baggage, that even as a vice presidential candidate will cause another Republican to be voted into office as President!!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hillary made the mistake of continually supporting the Iraq war. -- That was not Hillary`s mistake...trust me...her mistake as wierd as it sounds is the fact that she is Hillary......any other woman taking the exact same stands Hillary has taken would have a better chance of being elected President!!

Obama lacks the experience needed for the position, although he would probably be a good VP candidate on a ticket with someone who is actually electable. That list isn't very long with Edwards and possibly Gore.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004

Wow.

fstime

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2004
If he gets through he will get a lot of black votes, simply because well, he is black.

Doesn't matter what his platform is or anything.

Sadly this stands true, JMO.

/flamesuit

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BouZouki
If he gets through he will get a lot of black votes, simply because well, he is black.

Doesn't matter what his platform is or anything.

Sadly this stands true, JMO.

/flamesuit

Hello ProfJohn's Cousin,
US Senate candidate Ben Cardin got 72% of the Black vote.
Michael Steele only got 28%.

Try researching all the Black candidates who lost the 2006 election because they didn't get the black vote.
Blackwell
Lynn Swann

Flamesuit burned.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Excessive sarcasm?

Let Obama be elected in 08 before he becomes corrupted by Washington politics like Gore and McCain.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
While I am a Democrat, I am a bit shamed by some of the things of the party as of late....

[*]Run a white guy, if he loses, the republicans cheated in the election.
[*]Run a woman, if she loses, the voters are sexist.
[*]Run a black guy, if he loses, the voters are racist.

Oct 30, 2004

Here's a link to Barack Obama's Immigration Report Card. He scored a grade of D.

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/testgrades.php3?District=IL&VIPID=1162

I wonder--where does Obama stand on the most crucial issue for America today?

Where does Obama stand on the issue of preserving the American middle class? Where does he stand on the issues of global labor arbitrage, immigration, and population explosion? Will he try to save the American middle class, or will he stand aside and allow current trends to continue to transform the nation into Third World America?

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
While I am a Democrat, I am a bit shamed by some of the things of the party as of late....

[*]Run a white guy, if he loses, the republicans cheated in the election.
[*]Run a woman, if she loses, the voters are sexist.
[*]Run a black guy, if he loses, the voters are racist.

Ok...So which one happened in this '06 election and give an example of each incident.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

Here's a link to Barack Obama's Immigration Report Card. He scored a grade of D.

http://grades.betterimmigration.com/testgrades.php3?District=IL&VIPID=1162

I wonder--where does Obama stand on the most crucial issue for America today?

Where does Obama stand on the issue of preserving the American middle class? Where does he stand on the issues of global labor arbitrage, immigration, and population explosion? Will he try to save the American middle class, or will he stand aside and allow current trends to continue to transform the nation into Third World America?

He seems to be pro-protectionism judging by his thumbs up to the tariff on imported sugar. That one really helped our dependence on foreign oil. :roll:

What population explosion are you talking about? The only one that really comes to mind is Africa which we don't exactly have control over. While it isn't the lowest at 0.91%/yr, I wouldn't call it an explosion.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Obama has no history with 99% of voters, so it is easy for them to look on him favorably right now. See what happens after the mud-raking begins.

Are the American people stupid enough to elect someone with zero foreign policy experience, in a time when they need that experience in a leader more than ever? I guess you guys voted for Dumbya, so we already know the answer.