Info Latest LHR "unlocker" is Malware

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Nvidia RTX LHR Unlocker Is Malware: From Hack to Hoax

The Nvidia RTX LHR v2 Unlocker claimed it could modify the firmware of graphics cards to remove mining performance cap introduced by Nvidia to make its LHR (light hash rate) boards unattractive to miners.
But the file 'LHRUnlocker Install.msi' not only fails to perform what it promises, but also infects powershell.exe, a Windows service, with malware.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah haha, figures. But for how long?

Have you guys heard the news about Nvidia being hacked? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-hackers-threaten-to-release-lhr-performance-limiter

While I disagree with the illegal methods, I agree that Nvidia should do away with LHR. I would rather have Nvidia own up, and do away with LHR, then have users have to resort to unofficial, warranty voiding hacks. I don't think Nvidia will lose money by eliminating LHR, and IMO if they want retail card prices to come down, then they should be putting more effort into distributor/retailer relations and fighting scalping bots, rather than nerfing video cards.

DisarmedDespot

Jun 2, 2016
While I disagree with the illegal methods, I agree that Nvidia should do away with LHR. I would rather have Nvidia own up, and do away with LHR, then have users have to resort to unofficial, warranty voiding hacks. I don't think Nvidia will lose money by eliminating LHR, and IMO if they want retail card prices to come down, then they should be putting more effort into distributor/retailer relations and fighting scalping bots, rather than nerfing video cards.
Effective or not, LHR has more to do with trying to keep a good image with gamers who can't find a card.

I honestly think Nvidia has a major aversion to rapidly increasing supply. They saw how AMD got saddled with extra 290s/580s after the last few mining booms went busts, and they don't want that as it would damage their 'premium brand' image.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Effective or not, LHR has more to do with trying to keep a good image with gamers who can't find a card.
no.

LHR is about making money at the expense of gamers and the environment.

It is about forcing miners to buy CMP cards. Cards that are useless to gamers when the market for PoW goes away, and will not effect gaming market supply. Cards that will go straight to the land fill instead of having a second life in a gaming computer.

It is all about Greedy #1, and screw everyone else.

Reactions: Mopetar and Ranulf

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I honestly think Nvidia has a major aversion to rapidly increasing supply. They saw how AMD got saddled with extra 290s/580s after the last few mining booms went busts, and they don't want that as it would damage their 'premium brand' image.

Supply chains are still broken, so no one can just increase supplies.

Heck, Canon had to start selling chip free toner cartridges, and tell people how to bypass their scare messages, because they couldn't get enough toner cartridge chips.

Reactions: Mopetar

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The toner cartridge chips were always a load of BS to begin with. It was just canon wasting money on something completely unnecessary in order to squeeze their customers.

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Yeah haha, figures. But for how long?

Have you guys heard the news about Nvidia being hacked? https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-hackers-threaten-to-release-lhr-performance-limiter

They can't remove LHR - they are just firing off random threats to do evil if Nvidia don't turn it off - and there is zero chance Nvidia is going to listen to them. To remove LHR you'd need to be able to make a correctly signed driver, to do that you'd need the private key used to sign drivers, which I don't think they have - it would be kept somewhere very safe.

Reactions: Heartbreaker