Last of the summer harvest with pics!

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So I had the day off today and it was a cool morning here in Central Illinois so I decided to go out and harvest the last of the spring/summer veggies from the garden. I harvested some nice jalapeno, California Wonder, and mini belle peppers. Also had some Blue Lake pole beans and some Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes but that was about it.
Still have some basil to clip before the frost hits(we love fresh pesto)and the tomato still has a lot of fruit left on it but other wise this will be it for the year. I didn't have time for a fall crop this year.
What about everyone else? Any last minute harvest before fall gets here?

g5e7stJ.jpg

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I have 30 acres of sweet corn left. still picking green bells, though we had the most disease in our crop than I have seen in my time. also still picking jalapenos and eggplant.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I have 30 acres of sweet corn left. still picking green bells, though we had the most disease in our crop than I have seen in my time. also still picking jalapenos and eggplant.
Yeah it was a terrible year for pests and diseases for us as well. 30 acres wow that is quit a garden. I take it you are a commercial grower?
I have a hard time managing my measly 200 sq. ft. garden I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into 30+ acres.haha

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Vegetable/herb gardens are a lot of work but I enjoy it. It's also a practice in patience because some years are better than others. Anyway, I have one more pic to share. I harvested the last of the basil today and my wife and I made fresh pesto together. We made more than we can eat at one time so the rest will go into the freezer and tide us over on those cold and snowy winter months.:)
T3dfrrU.jpg

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Yeah it was a terrible year for pests and diseases for us as well.

Odd, I'm in the midwest too and didn't have an unusual level for either. I'd say fewer insects than usual, except mosquitoes due to higher than normal rain frequency, and the expected yearly onslaught of stinkbugs and powdery white mildew on my zucchini.

On the other hand, a few very cold nights (unusually early in the season) have shocked my peppers and they're starting to drop leaves en mass, but warmer weather has returned and will hopefully give them another month to recover and finish what they started.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

30 acres?? Holy crap! How do you harvest all that?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Odd, I'm in the midwest too and didn't have an unusual level for either. I'd say fewer insects than usual, except mosquitoes due to higher than normal rain frequency, and the expected yearly onslaught of stinkbugs and powdery white mildew on my zucchini.

On the other hand, a few very cold nights (unusually early in the season) have shocked my peppers and they're starting to drop leaves en mass, but warmer weather has returned and will hopefully give them another month to recover and finish what they started.
You were fortunate then. The Japanese beetles were awefull this year around here. They were eating plants I have never seen them eat before like basil and coral bells. Whitefly and aphids were also out in abundance and the whiteflies continue to plague my peppers and tomato plants.
Like I mentioned vegetable gardening is a practice in patience and for us this year was kind of a bust. Here's hoping next year is better.:beercheers:

Jun 18, 2000
Looks good!

The weather has been great the last couple weeks so, all the green peppers and tomatoes are turning at once. The only pest in my backyard is a damn possum or racoon that keeps eating my tomatoes.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The weather has been great the last couple weeks so, all the green peppers and tomatoes are turning at once. The only pest in my backyard is a damn possum or racoon that keeps eating my tomatoes.

It's an upgrade. It gets fat... then... BBQ o_O

Last edited: