Last night's town hall: Trump said we will defeat the virus with "herd mentality". What is herd mentality?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Well done, I've had that person on Ignore for a while. Never used to Ignore people but the last few months I've taken to it. Must have close to 10 posters on Ignore now. Once in a while I relent for one reason or another but they almost always go back into my ignore list pretty shortly.
I have am/have been on many forums, and I have never felt the need to resort to ignore/blocking others. That is until the latest rash of ragingly stupid trumpanzee's that are bubbling up through the more intelligent pond scum of the republican hog waste lagon.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have am/have been on many forums, and I have never felt the need to resort to ignore/blocking others. That is until the latest rash of ragingly stupid trumpanzee's that are bubbling up through the more intelligent pond scum of the republican hog waste lagoon.
Yes, my experience exactly, and thank you for so eloquently explaining this. I had a mind to say this but the words just didn't come. :D

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Goddamn guys the important thing isn't that he used the word mentality. Now he's out there saying we are going for herd immunity approach. He's changing course again, sowing divisions and undercutting public health officials.

I’d argue he isn’t changing course but rather, finally, sharing his plan with Americans.

GOP’s response to everything seems to be; hurt up and die.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
You are merely feeding the troll, no different than responding to a spammer's phone call. Can be musing a time or two, but ultimately a complete waste of time. Treat them like you treat spammer calls.... block their number... life in more pleasant and you no longer feed the sentient pond scum trolls.
Sometimes it's fun to joust at windmills as part of a healthy balanced morning workout.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Sometimes it's fun to joust at windmills as part of a healthy balanced morning workout.
Oh, I agree, if I'm really bored, and I get the car warranty is about to expire call, or the Apple or Windows security breech I take them down a path of nonsense. I view it as a public service. If I fuck with them for 5 - 10 minutes, that means they can't be trying to sucker someone else during that time.

Did you know that you can't get an extended warranty on a 1993 Yugo with 210K miles on the clock?

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I think it has something to do with the declaration of indepandence.. holding truths to be self evident All men created by...you know the thing. Or! It could be a covid thing? “COVID has taken this year — just since the outbreak — has taken 100 year. Look, here’s…the lives…it’s just…I mean, think about it. More lives this year than any other year for the past 100 years,”

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Opposing points of views can be so difficult on frail little minds ;)

Best to stick with one-sided opinions where they all universally agree with you. YAY! Debate won!

you use that phrase "opposing point of view" very liberally here.

You need to understand that what everyone else is dealing with when you make claims is more like "a firehouse of preposterous nonsense"

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It's really just Trump is a dumbfuck. Relying on herd immunity to solve the Covid problem, would be like dealing with an active shooter by saying “If we all stand up and hold still, eventually he’s going to run out of bullets.” Not to mention: if herd immunity was the be-all-end-all in public health, no one would ever get the cold or flu again.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Same shit as in 2016.

2016: Trump, lifelong felon, tries to convince people Clinton is the real crook.

2020: Trump, guy who struggles to put two coherent sentences together, who needs both hands to lift a glass of water to his mouth, and who struggles to walk down a ramp without assistance tries to convince other people that Biden is physically and mentally infirm.

Not really surprising because 2/3rds of our country believes the holocaust was a myth. So they just believe what they feel rather than facts.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It's really just Trump is a dumbfuck. Relying on herd immunity to solve the Covid problem, would be like dealing with an active shooter by saying “If we all stand up and hold still, eventually he’s going to run out of bullets.” Not to mention: if herd immunity was the be-all-end-all in public health, no one would ever get the cold or flu again.
We should ask the Native Americans how well it worked for them.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Herd immunity? Damn, at least Marie Antonette (sp?) was willing to let the masses eat cake. His Donaldship's posiition is that the rest of us should f*ck off and die already.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Herd immunity? Damn, at least Marie Antonette (sp?) was willing to let the masses eat cake. His Donaldship's posiition is that the rest of us should f*ck off and die already.

Why not, 40 million people out of work and the stock market keeps chugging. Don't need the plebes anymore

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
There are many other options for herd immunity including herd mentality, but lets save some of them for Trump term number two.

nuclear-bomb-iran-e1405694886188-598x350.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Thump553

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Vaccines will help. If they don't it's gonna be a bitch. Vaccines will contribute to herd immunity. Vaccines by themselves, if not highly effective (and apparently they aren't expected to be highly effective), will only protect you partially. IOW, if I get vaccinated and it prevents me from getting the virus 60%, I still stand a good chance of getting sick the way things stand. But if enough people get vaccinated, the spread is gonna slow dramatically. The R0 factor (the number of people infected by each person who contracts the virus) will go way down and the pandemic will be stanched. Then my chances of getting the virus become low. Not so much because I'm vaccinated (although that helps) but because the virus won't be around much.

Given these facts, if you have risk factors in particular, you should still be thoughtful and careful after getting vaccinated. As herd immunity builds (by virtue of vaccinations and immunity conferred to the populace who have survived infection) it won't be as necessary to take precautions. Hope all this makes good sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenixgoon

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
If so, that survey certainly does NOT say that "2/3rds of our country believes the holocaust was a myth." Not even close.

You're right, of course, but it's what I could chase down, what I could find that an erroneous opinion could be based upon.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I have am/have been on many forums, and I have never felt the need to resort to ignore/blocking others. That is until the latest rash of ragingly stupid trumpanzee's that are bubbling up through the more intelligent pond scum of the republican hog waste lagon.

Many years bouncing across forums from the Clinton years.
People from all walks of life and all sort of personality types.
Dealing with extremist views from all over the spectrum.
Disagreements or arguing or the occasional dickish comments. Even occasional trollish behavior
I don't mind stubbornness or people who I simply think are assholes.
Even stubborn assholes make a good argument from time to time and actually add something to the forum.
As long as there is some indication that the person is not just a toilet of mindless turd-thoughts I'll keep them off ignore and occasionally interact with them.
I actually appreciate being proven wrong on something by someone who forced me to look at something from a different perspective or exposed me to information I was unaware of.

Unfortunately, a lot of voices have been chased away as Tea Farty mobs and now Trumpshits have made a lot of forums a shitshow.

I finally caved into using the ignore button about a year or 2 ago. I have about 15+ people on ignore
There are some people who contribute absolutely zero to ANY conversation they participate in and they have zero fucking growth.
It is a complete waste of time to even interact with those people. At the very least, people who deserve to be ignored thrive on the negative responses because it legitimizes the notion that their voice deserved to be heard in the first place.

We have some pretty extreme racists on this board but they can actually put an argument together and "talk".
We have people on this board who appear to have a lot of stuff going on their lives and can appear to be pretty dense but there is at least some honesty in their ignorance.
We have those that really do believe some screwed up things but they do serve value in that the debate that occurs exposes the flaws in their argument that others can learn from. "The jackass says X, which you may hear elsewhere. This is why you should challenge X and here are the important facts that support the counterargument"

Some people are simply dead weight that drag down anything they touch.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
On a semi-related note (to 'herd mentality'), does anyone here remember one of the oldest memes on the Internet, "does your cow have mad cow disease?" :)

A video of the original powerpoint presentation:

Reactions: TheOnlySuperdog

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

According to survey of adults 18-39, 23% said they believed the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated or they weren’t sure.

I wonder how we got to that point.

BIG, BIG difference between 23% of adults 18-39 surveyed believed the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated or they weren’t sure and "2/3rds of our country believes the holocaust was a myth ." Those 2 statements aren't even in the same ballpark.