Last night's town hall: Trump said we will defeat the virus with "herd mentality". What is herd mentality?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
BIG, BIG difference between 23% of adults 18-39 surveyed believed the Holocaust was a myth, had been exaggerated or they weren’t sure and "2/3rds of our country believes the holocaust was a myth ." Those 2 statements aren't even in the same ballpark.

Except with a lot of population turning older.. they are the future of the country which makes me wonder what kind of education system we have in this country that doesn't educate people on facts vs feels.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Herd immunity? Damn, at least Marie Antonette (sp?) was willing to let the masses eat cake. His Donaldship's posiition is that the rest of us should f*ck off and die already.
The sooner everyone realizes that, the sooner we will be rid of this bastard.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Vaccines will help. If they don't it's gonna be a bitch. Vaccines will contribute to herd immunity. Vaccines by themselves, if not highly effective (and apparently they aren't expected to be highly effective), will only protect you partially. IOW, if I get vaccinated and it prevents me from getting the virus 60%, I still stand a good chance of getting sick the way things stand. But if enough people get vaccinated, the spread is gonna slow dramatically. The R0 factor (the number of people infected by each person who contracts the virus) will go way down and the pandemic will be stanched. Then my chances of getting the virus become low. Not so much because I'm vaccinated (although that helps) but because the virus won't be around much.

Given these facts, if you have risk factors in particular, you should still be thoughtful and careful after getting vaccinated. As herd immunity builds (by virtue of vaccinations and immunity conferred to the populace who have survived infection) it won't be as necessary to take precautions. Hope all this makes good sense.

i would add one thing to that, we also don't know if the vaccines will have a long lasting effect.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
i would add one thing to that, we also don't know if the vaccines will have a long lasting effect.
There are already cases where an individual has contracted COVID for a second time. So for a vaccine to have lasting effect is dubious.

Less than half the people get a flu shot (45.3% last year), and we know they are not 100% effective, but they do keep the spread down. there will still be schools that close for a week when flu related absences reach a certain point. And it is good at least for the season. COVID doesn't seem to have a season, spreads easily, and is a whole lot more deadly.

Of course if Trump isn't defeated, the anti-vaxers are going to be orgasmic in their anti views.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
Of course if Trump isn't defeated, the anti-vaxers are going to be orgasmic in their anti views.

unfortunately, Trump's undermining of the CDC, scientists and the truth in general is turning the majority if Americans into anti-vaxxers.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
unfortunately, Trump's undermining of the CDC, scientists and the truth in general is turning the majority if Americans into anti-vaxxers.
Maybe what ever rises from the ashes of America will be smarter. It can't really get any stupider.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Just follow along peacefully. If you Die, maybe we'll Delete your Internet History for you...it's the least we can do for your sacrifice.

Disclaimer-Above statement is NOT an admission of Guilt...

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Less than half the people get a flu shot (45.3% last year), and we know they are not 100% effective, but they do keep the spread down.
COVID is much more similar to the cold then the flu. The reason we don't have a cold vaccine is that it mutates too fast. While there are 4-5 common flu versions out every year, there are dozens if not more cold versions. We simply can't keep up. If COVID turns out to be more cold like, then vaccines simply are not going to work. If that happens then it is civilization that will have to change.

COVID doesn't seem to have a season, spreads easily, and is a whole lot more deadly.

Actually, scientists think that COVID does have a season, it prefers milder weather so Fall is going to be COVID season. This has been COVID in the off season. Just like there are still some cold and flu cases in the summer, we are seeing some COVID cases off season. The odds are this is about to get a lot worse.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
COVID is much more similar to the cold then the flu. The reason we don't have a cold vaccine is that it mutates too fast. While there are 4-5 common flu versions out every year, there are dozens if not more cold versions. We simply can't keep up. If COVID turns out to be more cold like, then vaccines simply are not going to work. If that happens then it is civilization that will have to change.

Actually, scientists think that COVID does have a season, it prefers milder weather so Fall is going to be COVID season. This has been COVID in the off season. Just like there are still some cold and flu cases in the summer, we are seeing some COVID cases off season. The odds are this is about to get a lot worse.

Not to mention the number that nearly die and are left with varying degrees of lingering disability, in a country with the worst access to healthcare of any fully developed, industrialized nation on earth, and where trips to the hospital can leave one bankrupt.

BUT! ... “Herd mentality” works! Say you’ve got a wandering herd of fake news... er I mean "gnus", also known as “bewilderbeest” and they are set upon by lions, tigers and bears. They flee, of course, but the predators only catch the lame, the old and the weak! This makes the pool of healthy DNA much, much bigger! Which is why its called “hugenics”.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
There are already cases where an individual has contracted COVID for a second time. So for a vaccine to have lasting effect is dubious.
Important thing to note, that HK and US case, both were very sick in March and tested negative to be changed to recovered but to then test positive with no symptoms over a month later. So vaccine hopefully will help prevent severe symptoms but won't help prevent further spread. Only worry are any negative reactions to the vaccine.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He does say some stupid shit lol.

It's just gotten worse with age. You can watch him from the 80's, he was still an arrogant asshole, but his word salad was more under control. Fast forward to 2010's and the decline is noticeable. And now, he's lucky he can complete a thought without fudging some word and staying in the general vicinity of the topic.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's just gotten worse with age. You can watch him from the 80's, he was still an arrogant asshole, but his word salad was more under control. Fast forward to 2010's and the decline is noticeable. And now, he's lucky he can complete a thought without fudging some word and staying in the general vicinity of the topic.
Yeah, we've got low standards in the USA. He can read, I guess, well, enough so he can do the teleprompter thing. Comprehension? He hasn't really got that going because of his personality disorder. That prevents him from having normal intellectual powers.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Important thing to note, that HK and US case, both were very sick in March and tested negative to be changed to recovered but to then test positive with no symptoms over a month later. So vaccine hopefully will help prevent severe symptoms but won't help prevent further spread. Only worry are any negative reactions to the vaccine.
How herd immunity works is that people don't get the disease, so they don't spread the disease. That's how it works with measles, mumps, chicken pox, small pox, polio, etc., etc.,...

If people "get" the disease, but don't suffer symptoms, the are NOT immune, and worse they are asymptomatic spreaders of the disease, a.k.a. Typhoid Mary

I had chicken pox and measles as a kid, many years ago, and for the most part I became immune at least for many years.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I guarantee he was an arrogant asshole in play school, there just aren't any videos.