last friday, after a late night out my cousin forgot to release the nozzle on the gas pump and pulled out with it in.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
anyways they told him it would be a $100 which I told him is ridiculous since those things snap off and probably on. I told him to call the parent company because a benjamin is too much anyone know if this is the real cost because those guys seem kind of shady.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: BruinEd03
probably overpriced...but consider it a stupidity tax on ur cousin ;)

-Ed

ive only heard of people dooing that. thought it was a myth, man you cousin is a dumb ass

DogFromDuckhunt

Dec 15, 2001
They don't just "snap back in" ... I dunno if it's $100 or not, but for someone to drive out to the place, use the proper tools to reconnect it, not to mention how much money the gas station is losing by having a broken pump I'd venture to say $100 isn't too far off.

I've actually seen someone rip one of those off before ... man I thought it was hilarious.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
hehe I was sipping on my icee and told him one second too late. I've seen the photoshoped picture of the BMW, if I only had my digicam that night :)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I would assume they are insured for this type of accident. but in any case, $100 for parts+labor is very reasonable.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Just out of curiosity whats a reasonable amount of money to you for what your cousin did?

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
the crazy thing is that I went to that same pump the morning after and it was in working order so unless they had someone come by overnight I'm thinking that it is a fairly simple procedure with the right tools. Anyways this wasn't the 3rd of Jan but the previous Friday, the 27th of Dec. I'm thinking if it's working on the 28th why did they call him last night. He's a student right now so he doesn't have a lot of expendable cash. I feel kind of bad since I told him a second late and snorted out some icee over his dashboard but I couldn't help it. :)

Apr 5, 2000
Um, $100 is getting off easy

Maybe the pump was off but he damn well could have started a fire or broken something else

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
dumb yes but if it's working the morning after I assume they might have just popped it back in after he left. The reason I don't trust them is that one guy told him $80, then the owner said $120 but it was possible to go as high as $600. Sounded too fishy to me especially since the called over a week afer the incident.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Im pretty sure they have people that will come overnight and fix it, i doubt they will let a pump sit idle and not make money for them for a long time. If they just called him maybe they just got the bill. He damaged it he should pay. 100 bucks seems like he is getting off easy, they could always charge him for breaking it, having to have it repaired and all the lost revenue.

fatkorean

Dec 17, 2001
Actually depends on who fixed it and how and what parts they had. They are made that way so you dont break the whole pump and also it prevents the gas from spilling because it seals the hose when it happens.

If you were to hire someone to fix it.. its around $40-$60 for the "break-away" nozzle, and then the labor charge to bring them there and fix it. So $100 is reasonable to fix it.

Now if they have certain "break-aways" that you can fix yourself if you have the proper tools to do it. Costs couple dollars IF you have the parts and the tools to do it AND the nozzle is one that you can fix. Not all nozzles you can fix. Those you have to get replaced.

-fk

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
Originally posted by: fatkorean

Now if they have certain "break-aways" that you can fix yourself if you have the proper tools to do it. Costs couple dollars IF you have the parts and the tools to do it AND the nozzle is one that you can fix. Not all nozzles you can fix. Those you have to get replaced.

-fk

I can't say I'd trust some goofball who ripped the hose off in the first place to do a good and safe job of reattaching it.

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
My best friend did that with his 1986 Caprice Classic before. The only good part about that was that the gas tank nossle was in the rear of the car. He said that he sure did freak out when he heard it go flying.

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: holden j caufield
thx fatkorean for the info. I'll relay it to him it was just the 3 diff. quotes that made everything look shady

I did that at a gas station in AZ. I had to pay a $10 "damage fee" or some crap like that. The hoses are made to break away and get reattached. Maybe the guy I worked for was special or something but he (the owner of a gas station I used to work at) reattached the hoses himself. He used to turn wrenchs for a living though...

Lethal