• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Last chance to buy 'Sword Coast Legends'

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Developer out of business, it'll be removed for sale on 12/31, it's now 67% off on Steam for $4.94.

Metacritic only 61 but lots of positive reviews by players.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Developer out of business, it'll be removed for sale on 12/31, it's now 67% off on Steam for $4.94. Metacritic only 61 but lots of positive reviews by players.
It could be completely free and I'd still pass. It marketed itself as a modern D&D game (particularly a new NWN) and ended up a dumbed-down poor-mans "hybrid" ARPG that didn't remotely resemble anything D&D / NWN like and has since been abandoned still rife with bugs. Ultimately the devs went out of business for a reason. As for reviews, I have tried the game myself in the past and negative reviews (almost half on both Steam & Metacritic) like...

- "The game would be decent if it wasn't so overwhelmingly buggy. Randomly losing the ability to interact with the environment is a pretty big deal when you have to reload in order to click the door. they should have fixed by now given that the game is almost two years old."
- "Had fun until a quest bug stopped me from progressing (Heart of Stone quest)"
- "Constant getting stuck in terrain, fps drops, disappearing mouse, disappearing NPC's"
- "Bugged at the main quest. NPC I need to talk to isn't appearing and since the game has only one save slot (WHY?), it's now broken and unplayable"
- "Party AI is so bad it's virtually broken. Companions randomly don't respond to commands"
- "controls suck (there's no way to quickly go to a specific character you want, you have to tab cycle through all your party"
- "Supposed 'D&D' magic system is just ARPG timed cool downs which take so long to cool down, each battle ends the same - you fire them all off once at the start then end up spamming simple attacks until someone dies from hitpoint attrition"
- "If you're looking for a spiritual sequel to Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, or any of the other D&D RPGs many people will fondly remember, stay away from Sword Coast Legends."

... are all spot on accurate. Save your money and go buy Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin 1-2, or just fire up NWN again and grab a few Epic mods instead.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Fair enough - clearly has a lot of flaws - some like it a lot. These guys tried a new genre after Nintendo stuff IIRC. Too bad, sounds like what they had described could have been fun.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i'm one of those who really liked it! single player only, played on Hard difficulty and it was tough until about lvl 5 but from that point on it's smooth sailing. i didn't encounter any game breaking bugs, really nothing serious.
if you didn't get past lvl 5 or the first chapter, you can't say you've really experienced what this game has to offer. i will keep recommending this game to anyone who likes party based RPGs, sure it's no BG2, but it was fun.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I wanted to like it and was trying to play through until I got to a broken quest and couldn't progress any farther in the game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I still havent seen anything as good as Baldurs Gate.
And from the looks of it, I never will.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I often wonder if it's simply nostalgia, that I was the right age at the right time when BG hit; or the series was just the GOAT?

ASK THE COMMUNITY