Laser printer fusing unit disabling

Jacques the thinker

Dec 3, 2016
Good day,

I need help please? I am experimenting on how to print without fusing the print. I need to digital print with laser printer, but the image should not be fused onto the paper. I need to be able to transfer the image from the paper onto a product afterwords. I can not find any help on this from Google. Can anybody help please?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Good luck, having worked with high speed laser copiers for several years, I've dealt with replacing the Fuser unit when it failed, there is no easy way to transfer the image or text from the paper to any other medium, hell just coughing near it when it hasn't been fused and the toner goes everywhere.

Really have no idea what you think you're trying to do, but it doesn't sound like it will work, and could potentially even be dangerous.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Unless the toner is fused, it is simply powder on the paper and free to go anywhere making a horrible mess. Mnewsham is asking a very valid question.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I need to be able to transfer the image from the paper onto a product afterwords. I can not find any help on this from Google. Can anybody help please?
The only thing that holds toner on a sheet of paper (or other substrate) before it's fused is a relatively weak electrostatic charge - it's really not possible to maintain that charge outside the printer or even inside the printer for much longer than the very brief period between the toner being deposited on the sheet and then being fused onto its surface almost immediately afterward.

There are ways to transfer images (whatever they may be) from paper or similar substrates to other materials, but none of them involves the method you're imagining. Exactly what sorts of images are you looking to print and then transfer, and to what surfaces/materials do you want to transfer them to? Do you expect to transfer them immediately or at least soon after printing, or do the printed images need to be able to be "stockpiled" and/or moved to a different location for transfer to their final substrate?

And as the other posters allude to, toner is an incredibly fine powder that's easily breathed in once airborne, and it becomes airborne with very little air movement. Breathing it in can cause both acute respiratory problems in large enough quantity and/or chronic health problems eventually, with repeated exposure. (And I don't imagine that getting it in your eyes would do those any good, either....) (I won't swear to this, but ss far as I know, black toner isn't particularly "toxic" in the chemical sense; but I have no idea at all about color toner, for whatever that's worth.) In short, you really don't want to be messing with the stuff, even on an "experimental" basis, unless you have a much better idea what you're dealing with than you seem to (and you have suitable protective gear.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
take the fuser out.

cut the heating element in the middle of it.

reinstall and print normally.

You don't want to do that.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i cant see the toner staying on the page long enough to get fed out of the printer into the output tray.....

Feb 25, 2011
i cant see the toner staying on the page long enough to get fed out of the printer into the output tray.....
Depends on the machine. I used to work in a copy shop and the copiers used air-fed paper paths (no actual physical contact with the paper, except for the fusers, which were greased with fuser oil.)

If the fusers died, you'd get perfectly normal-looking copies until you touched them, because of the combination of oil and electrostatically charged toner. Then they'd smudge all over.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Depends on the machine. I used to work in a copy shop and the copiers used air-fed paper paths (no actual physical contact with the paper, except for the fusers, which were greased with fuser oil.)

If the fusers died, you'd get perfectly normal-looking copies until you touched them, because of the combination of oil and electrostatically charged toner. Then they'd smudge all over.
That's dependent on the copier though, I also used to work in a print shop and most of the copiers we had barely held the toner on the page without the fuser. Just hold the paper at an angle and the toner would start sliding off. But other units did have more electrostatic on the paper that seemed to keep it there a bit better, still was super easy to disturb it though so I can't see it being a reliable way of transferring an image or text.

Feb 25, 2011
That's dependent on the copier though, I also used to work in a print shop and most of the copiers we had barely held the toner on the page without the fuser. Just hold the paper at an angle and the toner would start sliding off. But other units did have more electrostatic on the paper that seemed to keep it there a bit better, still was super easy to disturb it though so I can't see it being a reliable way of transferring an image or text.
Oh absolutely. It's pure foolishness. I'm mostly just CSBing.

If OP wants to experiment, he can go ahead.