Laser Printer advice

cyberdentist

Jan 6, 2005
Looking to buy a monochrome laser printer which has form feeding capabilities.. any suggestions ?? budget ~ $1000.

Thanks

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
What do you mean by form feeding? If you mean using pre-printed, cut-sheet forms, any laser printer can do that. Almost any good vertical-market software (assuming here that you're talking about a dental office management package and/or claims processing) that prints on pre-printed forms has setup options for using the more popular brands of laser printers. Some also allow you to print the form and data on plain paper in one 'swell foop'. ;) A unit with duplexing capability would be needed to do two-sided forms.
. If you mean using tractor feed, pre-printed forms, well those are few and far between.
. Xerox makes some pretty good and reliable laser printers. Lexmark used to have a handle on laser print quality but now their quality is hit and miss - and I just don't like Lexmark as a company. For some of the lowest lifetime-cost units, look at Kyocera. The people that provide your software may also have some suggestions.
.bh.

cyberdentist

Jan 6, 2005
I was looking for printers that take bulk rolls/spools of label sheets and not cut individual sheets. Do u think the dot matrix is the best bet for that ?? ;)

akira34

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2004
Better off just getting a good laser printer and use label sheets that are made to go through laser printers. For ~$1000 you should be able to get a high qaulity printer that will handle more then 500 sheets at a time.

The dot matrix/form feed printer is going to produce crappy quality prints and be [essentailly] a one trick pony. It will also make the labels look very cheap and that you didn't give a damn about how they look. If that's the case, then go ahead and try and hunt down a dot matrix printer worth a damn.

IF you want laser, then you won't get form feeding. Laser, by it's very nature, needs to run the pages through a fuser assemble to fix the toner to the media/paper.

The only other option is to get a continuous feed press and run it that way. Then again, that will just reproduce what's on the plates, not make each label different.

You really need to decide what's most important.

Quality of image
Printing out just labels on the printer (nothing else)
Having a printer that does several things well
Having a printer that does one thing 'ok' at best

Personally, I've not had a dot matrix printer in about 15 years. I went to inkjet printers a while back (used laser printers through college and at ALL jobs) and picked up a laser printer for at home about a year ago.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
I did a quick google on- tractor feed laser printer -and came up with quite a few hits. If that would be the best media for you to use, then check it out for yourself. Also try- continuous feed laser printer -.
.bh.