Laser eye 'surgery' and the USAF?

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does the US Air Force accept laser eye surgery as a valid option for pilots yet? Not necessarily for fighters, but other jet (turbo fan) planes, like cargo planes? I want to get into commercial flying, and it looks like using the Airforce as a stepping stone is the best option..

Also, how good has the surgery gotten thus far? Is night vision still a big issue? My pops got it done about 6-7 years ago, and has lots of trouble seeing without a TON of light.

My Optometrist says im in pretty good shape for 20/20 vision when the surgery is done..

fireontheway

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Ask your local air force recruiter,he should know the details at the same time ask when can you start a Packet (i think it takes a while).

TheLonelyPhoenix

Diamond Member
Feb 15, 2004
I had a friend in HS who wanted to get into the Air Force Academy, he told me there was some kind of waiver for those entering to get contacts/laser vision correction (for non-fighter pilots). Basically, the average person's vision has gotten so bad that they have to make at least some exceptions.

I remember that in a thread on this a while back, someone noted that recent laser eye surgery had removed the "halo effect" around bright objects at night, something that caused the USAF to ban laser surgery the first time around. However, they had yet to approve the new process, because government bureaucracy was taking so long.. basically, I'd talk to an Air Force recruiting rep and just ask directly.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
How do they check if you had LASIC done? Scan your retina for the signs of laser etchings?

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I had it done almost a year ago now, I don't have any issues except for some dryness, but my eyes have always been somewhat dry.

But by very far the best money I've ever spent in my life thus far.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: paulney
How do they check if you had LASIC done? Scan your retina for the signs of laser etchings?

You get eye exams incident to military service (and as part of in-processing). I imagine it's easy to see if you look for it, which they apparently do.

I'm moving to a base where they perform eye surgery. I'm hoping I can sign up. :)