Larry King to moderate third party debate

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
"Larry King will moderate a debate among the third-party presidential candidates on Oct. 23, the Free and Equal Elections Foundation announced on Tuesday.

The debate, which will be held in Chicago, will feature Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Constitution Party candidate Virgil Goode, and Rocky Anderson of the newly formed Justice Party. The event will be broadcast live on Ora TV, the digital programming service where King launched his online talk show, “Larry King Now,” earlier this year. The Free and Equal Elections Foundation and, for unclear reasons, Russia Today will also stream the debate online."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rty-debate-moderator-20121017,0,5390151.story

I'm excited to listen to this debate. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I hope to actually hear some actual ideas and new perspectives to problems rather than the same old sound bites over and over and over again. While I understand why many people are unwilling to vote for a third party candidate even if they do better represent their views, at the very least I'd recommend catching the stream to hear what these candidates have to say.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
That actually sounds pretty cool.

I hope the Libertarian guy brings his own mike and power source for it. :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Only in America can Jill Stein be arrested outside a presidential debate and Russia Today will carry the 3rd party candidate debate.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
10-15 years ago this would have been great, not so sure about now.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I've been eagerly awaiting these debates, glad King jumped on board for some recognition.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
"Larry King will moderate a debate among the third-party presidential candidates on Oct. 23, the Free and Equal Elections Foundation announced on Tuesday.

The debate, which will be held in Chicago, will feature Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, Green Party candidate Jill Stein, Constitution Party candidate Virgil Goode, and Rocky Anderson of the newly formed Justice Party. The event will be broadcast live on Ora TV, the digital programming service where King launched his online talk show, “Larry King Now,” earlier this year. The Free and Equal Elections Foundation and, for unclear reasons, Russia Today will also stream the debate online."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...rty-debate-moderator-20121017,0,5390151.story

I'm excited to listen to this debate. Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I hope to actually hear some actual ideas and new perspectives to problems rather than the same old sound bites over and over and over again. While I understand why many people are unwilling to vote for a third party candidate even if they do better represent their views, at the very least I'd recommend catching the stream to hear what these candidates have to say.

Larry King ? wow, not sure how this is going to work out.. Will the candidates have access to the questions ahead of time ? If, so forget about hearing anything other than "the same old soundbites"

That being said, I will be interested to hear from Gary Johnson. I worry though, the sheer amount of people will prevent any of them being able to communicate effectively especially with Professor Farnsworth moderating.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Larry King ? wow, not sure how this is going to work out.. Will the candidates have access to the questions ahead of time ? If, so forget about hearing anything other than "the same old soundbites"

That being said, I will be interested to hear from Gary Johnson. I worry though, the sheer amount of people will prevent any of them being able to communicate effectively especially with Professor Farnsworth moderating.

I believe the questions will be fielded from listeners through social media. I'm not sure how old Larry will work out as a moderator either, but it is about time that we utilized technology and the ease with which something like this can be streamed to the world to provide exposure for people running for political office. Hopefully, it will be successful enough that it will be repeated in future years. Who knows, maybe we'll eventually get away from one of the primary political exposure processes from being controlled by corporate entities.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
I believe the questions will be fielded from listeners through social media. I'm not sure how old Larry will work out as a moderator either, but it is about time that we utilized technology and the ease with which something like this can be streamed to the world to provide exposure for people running for political office. Hopefully, it will be successful enough that it will be repeated in future years. Who knows, maybe we'll eventually get away from one of the primary political exposure processes from being controlled by corporate entities.

That would be fantastic, if it is done real time.. Here's to hoping it works out.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
What, no candidate from "The rent is too damned high" party?

Damned major parties always keep the little guy out!

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
EXTREME liberalism. They are the libertarians of the democratic party.

My impression was that they're essentially a tamed down version of the green party. Same ideals, but a little more pragmatic. I don't see how someone that was elected mayor of Salt Lake City could be considered extremely liberal, but that's just my take.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
If the Justice Party actually had interest in making Government solely an arbitrator of Justice they could possibly pull me in that direction, fact is though that's not what they stand for. They stand for "justice" in the whimsical sense.