Largest coal power plant in the Western US slated to close

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
In the past three weeks, owners of two of the nation’s biggest coal-fired power plants have announced plans to shut them down, potentially idling hundreds of workers. One plant in Arizona is the largest coal-fired facility in the western United States.

“[We’re] bringing back jobs, big league,” President Trump said Tuesday after signing legislation that would scrap requirements for natural resources companies to disclose payments to foreign governments. “We’re bringing them back at the plant level. We’re bringing them back at the mine level. The energy jobs are coming back.”

Yet even with his efforts to roll back Obama-era energy regulations, a lot of coal jobs won’t ever return, mainly because of harsh economic realities.

Case in point: The decision this week by the utilities that own the Navajo Generating Station outside Page, Ariz., to decommission the plant at the end of 2019, decades earlier than expected.

The 2,250-megawatt plant has faced increasing financial pressure in the face of record-low natural gas prices, which have made it more expensive to produce electricity at the facility than to purchase it from cheaper sources.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ven-trump-can-save-it/?utm_term=.e6a042e0b346

Appalachia is in the same boat but with even worse economics. Maybe since Trump is doing some more campaign events he should stop by these places as the power plant and mining jobs continue to fall away.

NG futures are falling under $3/MMBbtu again and US wind/solar installations are gobbling up most of the new generation market.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
It's regrettable when people lose their jobs, but obviously there is a drastic net gain in the form of reduced pollution. Also some jobs get created by shifting the generation capacity elsewhere, but since modern gas fired generation needs less labor to run and maintain, there is a net loss there.

I think this is inevitable and positive, no matter who is President.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I bet you three "likes" that this plant will remain in operation in 2020, 2025, and 2030. All it will take to keep this plant running is another California-style de-regulation electric rate ass-raping to turn this decision on a dime. This plant has been a political football in Arizona politics and with this decision to close it, it's about to go national, bigly.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I bet you three "likes" that this plant will remain in operation in 2020, 2025, and 2030. All it will take to keep this plant running is another California-style de-regulation electric rate ass-raping to turn this decision on a dime. This plant has been a political football in Arizona politics and with this decision to close it, it's about to go national, bigly.

Republicans did the famous deregulation in California. Dems have a super majority and now the government is functioning properly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

AZ residents are going to pay either way I think since the sale of surplus power was used to service debt on the CAP. NG is crushing the plant's economics and other states don't want to buy coal generated power now.

Up go the water rates.