Question Laptop wrapped in tin foil

bobbobbob

Aug 31, 2016
If I wrap laptop in tinfoil, everything , but not screen... Then my computer will be unable to catch wifi yes? Airplane mode is not the case this time.

Im about to create a wooden box ( 5 sides, 1 side left empty to work with computer), surround outside borders with tinfoil, add computer to that box, and then wrap computer with tinfoil.

This will do no damage to computer? Should I attach cork sheet, ( as cork is good sound isolator - maybe it will isolates emf radation well too ? ) ?

Im talking about emf/rf shielding here.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
In most cases the Antenna of the WIFI is in the Screen Frame.

So leaving the screen uncovered would transmit your "Secrets" to the Galaxie.

:cool:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
May be referring to health conditions, possibly. Or even bridging a gap for controlling wireless signals in a lab.
Technically the box may work.
Shut off the radio signals or pull out the WAN/WWAN/WLAN and go LAN with a CAT cable of your choice, or ethernet the signal to an access point outside of your area.
If and when in the box, tighten the wires and mold them through the seals if anything needs to go external. As far as cooling, mod for extraction of air/ventilation, or custom heatpipe.

Similar ventures can be achieved with a micro-desktop, but if a battery is needed, you can always use a UPS.

bobbobbob

Aug 31, 2016
For example on my laptop ( every laptop now ) attempts to 'capture' all available wifi networks in range, and displays available network connection's lists - allowing to connect.

I don't know what computer part doing this ( searching and finding network connections - somehow secret'ful working in background ), but I will name it as 'component wifi'.
What actually computer part reacting to those signals?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I am sure that form where you live there some where roads and these roads connect to other roads and you can drive (long time) and even get to Paris.

But you do not wants to get to Paris! so why there is Roads?

The same thing is with Wireless in order to connect to other computers you eed to know what is around and what to connect to. That is why there is WPA2 security Pass word so the cpnnection will go only to where you want it to and come from. It by the computer hardware and the OS.

If you do not want Wireless capacity on the computer, switch the Wireless card Off.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-disable-the-original-wifi-adapter/

Otherwise, if you are Not running the Wireless capacity of the laptop.

You can try to find out what Auto loads and run in the background by using these free portable Apps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/tcpview

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

:cool:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You're right and I remember that thread.

I think the OP needs to build a safe room with lead walls and electronic signal scramblers as they must be into some very bad, evil stuff. :p
From reading that thread and this one, I'm wondering if the OP is simply suffering from Paranoia? If so he needs to seek mental help.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
just open laptop and type "allyourbasesbelongtous" and hackers wont be able to get into it.
(sarcasm)

no but seriously... there are so many things wrong with covering your laptop in tin foil, that its on another level then making a tin foil hat for yourself to protect you from aliens.

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
...lead walls...
Lead is good for blocking certain types of ionizing radiation, but it's not very good for blocking RF. For that, you need materials with either high electrical conductivity or high magnetic permeability, depending on the frequency and if you primarily need to shield against magnetic or electric fields. There is no single material that has both, but you could combine sheets of nickel-iron superalloy with sheets of silver to be sure to block everything. It would be expensive, but isn't it worth it to protect your precious bodily fluids?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Why not simply disconnect the Wi-Fi antennas inside? Heck, you can usually remove the Wi-Fi module entirely. The antennas are usually routed through around the LCD screen.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Why not simply disconnect the Wi-Fi antennas inside? Heck, you can usually remove the Wi-Fi module entirely. The antennas are usually routed through around the LCD screen.
Disable the wireless card in device manager, delete the drivers for it...