Laptop won't turn on, Plz help..

naruto2013

Dec 9, 2013
Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 5741z laptop which is failing to turn on. There are no lights flashing, no beeping codes, and no fans spinning. It's not responding to the ON button at all.

The AC Adapter seems to be OK as it's showing a green light and I'm assuming the Battery is OK as well since I've never had any problems with it.

When I took the laptop apart I found that the Power Jack was loose and had a broken wire.

I have bought an identical Power Jack for the same model but it's not made any difference :(

Please note that I haven't soldered the new Jack and I'm not sure if it's required for this particular laptop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Generally it would be require to be solders to the board unless it is own board and connects via a cable / or a cable

Why was the laptop taken apart?
Was it working before taking it apart?
Sure that you plugged in the cabled back in the right spots, especially the power button cable?

naruto2013

Dec 9, 2013
Generally it would be require to be solders to the board unless it is own board and connects via a cable / or a cable

Why was the laptop taken apart?
Was it working before taking it apart?
Sure that you plugged in the cabled back in the right spots, especially the power button cable?

Thanks for a quick reply.

It connects to the motherboard via this cable http://www.chipsetsupplier.com/upImg/cImg/20121026232826158405.JPG

Does it still need soldering?

The laptop wasn't working prior to taking it apart. It was opened so I could see if there is anything wrong with the Power Jack.

I believe I put all the cables back in the right spots.

naruto2013

Dec 9, 2013
The answer is no.now if no power at all.could be the power switch.or you will have to investigate more the Motherboard

I have checked all the cables etc. again and everything is connected in the right place. Is there a way to check if it's the power switch or power board without having to replace it? could it be the motherboard?

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
The next step would be to measure the voltage at the black and red wire of the DC Jack harness. First measure without connecting it to the motherboard, if you get the right voltage, then measure connected to the motherboard.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
So the laptop quit working, and you took it apart and found a problem with the power jack? Describe the broken wire problem in more detail. The reason I ask is because you have two reds and two blacks so one of each may be redundant which means it could have always been broken.

naruto2013

Dec 9, 2013
So the laptop quit working, and you took it apart and found a problem with the power jack? Describe the broken wire problem in more detail. The reason I ask is because you have two reds and two blacks so one of each may be redundant which means it could have always been broken.

The two black wires on the back of the power jack were disconnected.

naruto2013

Dec 9, 2013
I've checked the AC adapter's output voltage and it's 0.01 so it seems like the AC adapter has become faulty even though the green LED is lit on it.

I just tried a Dell AC adapter as a test and it managed to power up the laptop fine so looks like all I need is a new adapter :)

Thanks a lot for your help guys, you've been really helpful.

Virgorising

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2013
I've checked the AC adapter's output voltage and it's 0.01 so it seems like the AC adapter has become faulty even though the green LED is lit on it.

I just tried a Dell AC adapter as a test and it managed to power up the laptop fine so looks like all I need is a new adapter :)

Thanks a lot for your help guys, you've been really helpful.

You can get some real bargains for those, both OEM and compatible, on eBay!!!