Laptop with no Gsync ?

mpowniex

Feb 15, 2021
I'm curious why most of the laptops now don't have a Gsync screen? Does it have to do with the Refresh rate being so high? Wouldn't the fact that games will be under let's say 300 Hz cause tearing? My understanding of gsync is it deals with half frames so the game run smoother am i wrong?

damian101

Aug 11, 2020
G-Sync is just a marketing name nowadays. The old G-Sync technology is now marketed under G-Sync Ultimate and isn't possible in an Nvidia Optimus configuration, excluding its use in laptop that also try to provide decent battery life. Standard G-Sync monitors and displays use VESA Adaptive Sync, which is also what FreeSync monitors use, just with the addition of being able to use it over an HDMI connection when connected to an AMD GPU.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
In the desktop world, "pure" G-Sync monitors tend to cost more due to the direct cost of the G-Sync compatible display controller, and I assume there's also some indirect cost in there to properly certify these as well as in-house R&D and test. In other words, there's an extra cost that's inherent with introducing G-Sync into hardware. On the flip side, G-Sync Compatible does not require extra hardware as it leverages functionality in existing specifications to handle variable refresh rates. Although, I do recall seeing a video showing that Nvidia still has to test your monitor for it to be rated G-Sync Compatible. I think that's why there was that hubbub over some Samsung TVs that could be setup in the Nvidia drivers as G-Sync Compatible even though Nvidia did not certify nor list them as such.

So, in regard to laptops, there are "pure" G-Sync laptops out there, but the problem is that they tend to be priced closer to the $2000 mark. So, maybe the better question is... why don't we get laptops that support VRR? Now, it's worth noting that G-Sync -- while being more limited -- is arguably better than VRR. VRR's major limitation is that it's only active within a specific framerate range. For example, LG's CX series OLED monitors support from 40-120Hz. Although, if you're working with a 60Hz screen, you'd be limited to 40-60Hz.