Laptop touch pad not working right

hackmole

Dec 17, 2000
My laptop touch pad is not functioning right. I can't control it well and it has become super sensitive.

It is a Dell Inspiron 1545 that came out about 2009.

It is so sensitive that I don't even have to touch it to move the cursor on the screen. I can wave my finger or hand in the air over the laptop and it will move the cursor in a haphazard way. And no other part of my hand or finger is touching any part of the laptop. I've never seen anything like it and I have no clue what's going on.

I plugged in a USB optical mouse by "IHome" and it lit up but didn't work. I checked the touch pad settings and nothing was wrong. Is there any way to fix this? I already ran several virus checkers, ran cc cleaner that cleans out the cache and other things and went back to a restore point. Nothing helped.

Maybe someone has had experience with this and can advise because I have no clue.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I would go Device Manager in Control Pad and disable/uninstall the touch pad. Then I would try the USB mouse. It should work. Then I would remove the USB mouse and reinstall the touchpad.

hackmole

Dec 17, 2000
I would go Device Manager in Control Pad and disable/uninstall the touch pad. Then I would try the USB mouse. It should work. Then I would remove the USB mouse and reinstall the touchpad.

Thank you but I am using Windows 10 and there is nothing in the Device Manager Control Panel that allows me to disable/uninstall the touch pad.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
In Win 10, go Control Panel, then Device Manager. Look for Human Interface Device. If you find the touchpad, right click on it to disable.
If not, then you need to enter the BIOS on boot and find the touchpad there.