Laptop suddenly can't connect to network, internet

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Acer Aspire AS6530-6522 running Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Suddenly this morning the laptop could not make a connection to my wireless network and can therefore not access the internet. I'm using my other wirelessly connected laptop right now, so obviously it can't be due to problems with my wireless router or DSL connection. Shutting down the machine and restarting is not fixing the problem. Am I forced to reinstall the OS? I can restore from the original restore CDs I created (Vista HP), or I can install Windows 7 (I have the install disk), however I'm hesitant to do that because I'd have to do a lot of updates, find and install programs and utilities so I have functionality, such as CD writing software, etc. etc. I was planning to install Windows 7 eventually, but don't want to have to do it right now.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looking into matters I'm told that the computer's wireless connection facility is turned off. Windows Troubleshooting (has anyone ever solved a problem using that thing?) says there is a switch on the side or back or front of the machine, but I don't see any, and even so I didn't hit any switches. If I look up the wireless network in Device Manager, it says it's "Working properly." What should I do? Uninstall the device and reboot?

Edit:

It says "Wireless capability on this computer is turned off. Turn on wireless capability" I did not turn it off. What's happening? How do I turn it on?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Have you tried to do a system restore back to a day when it was working?

What about checking the Fn hotkeys to make sure the wireless is turned on if there is no hard switch on the laptop?

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So the wireless device is enabled on the laptop? Can it pick up any wireless networks?

No, it's not picking up any networks, not mine, not the one next door. They have an unencrypted network, mine's encrypted dd-wrt. It's not picking up networks because troubleshooting the problem shows "Wireless capability on this computer is turned off. Turn on wireless capability." I have no idea how it got turned off or what I have to do to turn it on. :confused:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Have you tried to do a system restore back to a day when it was working?

What about checking the Fn hotkeys to make sure the wireless is turned on if there is no hard switch on the laptop?
Yeah, I'm thinking it could be I hit one of the Fn hotkeys and turned it off inadvertently. I sure want to look into that before I reach for my restore CDs. I made those on day one and if I install them I'll have to reinstall and reconfigure all my software.... D: I'm upstairs right now on my other laptop, will run downstairs and check out the hotkeys. Hopefully I'll identify which one.

Dec 10, 2005
Yeah, I'm thinking it could be I hit one of the Fn hotkeys and turned it off inadvertently. I sure want to look into that before I reach for my restore CDs. I made those on day one and if I install them I'll have to reinstall and reconfigure all my software.... D:

I don't mean doing a factory restore, just do the System Restore (it's a system utility).

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't mean doing a factory restore, just do the System Restore (it's a system utility).
Oh, is that really there? :eek: Well, I just looked at my keyboard, didn't see an Fn combo but there's a little symbol, one that lights up and I pressed it and it lit up and voila, my connection is back! Thanks for that idea! :awe:

Dec 10, 2005
It's a Windows system utility or by the manufacturer?

I know in XP, it's Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools

It's a Windows thing. It can basically restore the registry to a previous day. But it looks like you solved it already. On my mom's Acer laptop, the wireless on/off is Fn+F3, but it also needs something called "LaunchManager" (an Acer program) to run (because the hotkey brings up the little Launchmanager window, which can then turn Bluetooth and Wireless on and off).

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I would check the Acer Aspire manual for switches. My Lenovo T60 has two Wireless switches. One, a slide switch on the front edge. And two, a software switch worked by Fn+F5 combo. These are described in the User Guide. In Vista, System Restore is under the Start, Help/Support menu.

OK - I just found where your switch is - it is the last item in the following list copied from the manual:

Aspire.jpg

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would check the Acer Aspire manual for switches. My Lenovo T60 has two Wireless switches. One, a slide switch on the front edge. And two, a software switch worked by Fn+F5 combo. These are described in the User Guide. In Vista, System Restore is under the Start, Help/Support menu.

OK - I just found where your switch is - it is the last item in the following list copied from the manual:

Aspire.jpg
I'm typing on my Lenovo T60 right now. The only slide switch I can see is the one to disengage the latch that holds the lid down. No, I lied! :eek: There's another one and the symbol on it would seem to indicate I can actually turn off network connectivity. :eek:

That symbol at the bottom of the graphic is the exact one I looked and wondered "could it be that thing is supposed to be illuminated when wireless network functionality is enabled?" Indeed, pressing the symbol itself lit it up and I was back in business. I wonder how I turned it off inadvertently. Maybe there's a keyboard shortcut that I hit accidently. I do that kind of thing frequently and usually have no idea what I did, I just resume what I was doing after canceling whatever action happened. Maybe I touched the symbol on the keyboard. Doesn't seem likely, but one of those must have happened. :confused: