Laptop SSD upgrade doesn't work

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Hi all,

I currently have an Asus X550 DP (DS101-CA), I want to replace my old hard drive with a Samsung 840 Evo 1TB SSD (MZ7TE1T0HMHP). I've already placed the SSD into my latop (clean and formated), when I start a windows 7 installation I get errors like:

0x80070057 or 0x8007045D

Or it'll say couldn't install or read disk. I've formatted the SSD with parted magic (secure or enhanced) and this still occurs.

Now I've removed the SSD from my laptop and tried it on my PC to install windows 7 and everything works fine. AHCI mode is on for the laptop so I don't understand what's going wrong, my mobo on the laptop is Sata2 but it shouldnt' matter because the SSD is backwards compatible. The firmware for the SSD has also been updated to the latest version and the drive tests show no errors.

I'd be very grateful for any help you guys can provide, my computer knowledge is limited.

Thanks in advance.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Do you even get to the install point, or does it give you that error before getting there?

If you get to the OS installation screen, try to delete the existing partition(s), and have it create a new one under advanced options.

http://www.eassos.com/how-to/fix-error-code-0x80070057.php

Yeah it fails at expanding files.

There aren't any partitions since it's been formatted already, I've tried to create a partition and clicking next to install windows but I still get that error.

:(

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
It happens during expanding files, I've tried creating a partition but it fails also

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not sure what the issue could be then. If the SSD works in another computer, it isn't the drive.

If you put your old drive back in the laptop, does it work fine? Maybe a cable became loose or damaged when you took out the old drive.

Outside of that, the only thing to try is to update your BIOS if there is a new one, and maybe it will have some compatibility fixes.

Edit

https://www.asus.com/support/Download/3/516/0/4/fphdiamhzmd9HP7g/41/

It looks like BIOS version 209 had a MBR fix.

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
When installing windows, I usually delete all volumes and partitions and don't even bother creating a new one or formatting it. It's just totally blank/bare and I hit "next." Never fails. Did you do that? Or are you creating partitions?

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Hey gents, yeah the older drive still works in my laptop, when I install windows I don't create partitions, I just click next, I tried to create partitions just to see if that would work but it doesn't. I'm totally stumped.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hey gents, yeah the older drive still works in my laptop, when I install windows I don't create partitions, I just click next, I tried to create partitions just to see if that would work but it doesn't. I'm totally stumped.

Did you update your BIOS to a newer version like I recommended earlier? If that doesn't work, it could just be the SSD doesn't get along with your laptop hardware. Very rare, but it has happened.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Did you update your BIOS to a newer version like I recommended earlier? If that doesn't work, it could just be the SSD doesn't get along with your laptop hardware. Very rare, but it has happened.

Oh sry forgot to mention that, yes I already have the latest version (211)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The last thing I can think of is going into your BIOS and loading the default settings to rule out a setting in there causing the issues.

Outside of that, I can't think of anything else off hand that would cause that issue.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would run the install and when you get to the windows screen showing the partitions manually delete all of them and then click the unallocated space and next. Windows will handle the creating the partitions from there. If installing in UEFI insure that the install media is showing in the bios as a uefi device.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
I would run the install and when you get to the windows screen showing the partitions manually delete all of them and then click the unallocated space and next. Windows will handle the creating the partitions from there. If installing in UEFI insure that the install media is showing in the bios as a uefi device.

Yep tried that as well, the ssd is showing up in the bios too

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It does not sound like a SSD issue to me, since you ruled that out by using it in the desktop.
I would then say it could be a laptop issue, specifically, the RAM.
That would indeed give you those kind of errors that you are seeing.

Run memtest86+ overnight on it, and see if it gives you any errors. There should be 0.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
It does not sound like a SSD issue to me, since you ruled that out by using it in the desktop.
I would then say it could be a laptop issue, specifically, the RAM.
That would indeed give you those kind of errors that you are seeing.

Run memtest86+ overnight on it, and see if it gives you any errors. There should be 0.

I did upgrade the ram from 8gb to 16gb, it does detect all the ram though, and never had an issue in apps, but yeah a test couldn't hurt

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Another test is to put back in the good working ram or just the original RAM and see what happens.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Always a problem. Too much "enthusiasm" leads to configuring too many hardware "uncertainties" at once.

Always test your RAM after replacing or adding to what is known to work flawlessly before doing anything else with it.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. I bought a "corporate-surplus" laptop C2D with a WD Blue spinner. Cloned the spinner to a Crucial MX 100. The only "problem" was the limitation of the SATA-2 interface. But it was still faster than the Blue drive.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Thanks a lot of the tips gents, appreciate it! I will try your suggestions and post the results

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
This is soo strange, I've installed my old Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD and tried to install windows 7 on it and it worked flawlessly. I still have to run memtest 86 to test the ram but this is really strange.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
That is odd. I read that it was an 840 EVO... figured it was the data decay issue maybe but likely not as you've updated the firmware and it works fine in your desktop.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
Sure is odd, I ram memtest 86 for 9 hours, no errors, I don't know what the hell is going on, that Adata drive was working fine in my pc as well.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Can you install on the SSD that works and then clone the image over to the Samsung, pop it in and see what happens?

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
ANother thing to consider is making sure the Samsung has the latest firmware by using the Samsung Magician utility on a system that can read and access the drive successfully.

ut1959

Aug 3, 2016
:ninja:
ANother thing to consider is making sure the Samsung has the latest firmware by using the Samsung Magician utility on a system that can read and access the drive successfully.

Yeah it's up to date, I also tested the drive with the samsung utilities, no errors on the ssd

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
This is soo strange, I've installed my old Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD and tried to install windows 7 on it and it worked flawlessly. I still have to run memtest 86 to test the ram but this is really strange.
That IS odd.
Sure is odd, I ram memtest 86 for 9 hours, no errors, I don't know what the hell is going on, that Adata drive was working fine in my pc as well.
Memtest86 or memtest86+?

It is still really odd, that the ADATA would be working, especially since you tested the samsung on the desktop.
Then again, how exactly did you test it? If you got time, make a 7z/winrar archive of anything you got (at least 400MB is good), then copy that to the SSD a few times, and finally, check the archive for errors, and see if it is good or not.